Hate to do it but... Dalton Pompey?

interloper

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we tried Broxton, why not Pompey?  Plus we have to take even the smallest chance to stick it to the Blue Jays. It’s worth it. 

The guy has zero power ...so his value would have to be average/OBP driven.  Looking at his numbers in the minors .270/.350 would be the ceiling. If you could get that perhaps .... honestly I'd pass

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

The guy has zero power ...so his value would have to be average/OBP driven.  Looking at his numbers in the minors .270/.350 would be the ceiling. If you could get that perhaps .... honestly I'd pass

We don’t have a true CF on the roster. CF isn’t as set in stone as we think. Mullins struggled a lot. Diaz is a RF, he’s not even playing CF in AA. McKenna has struggled with the bat. Hays is the one guy, but can he stay healthy?  Will Hays even be here OD 2020?  I hope. 

Ideally we could take a look at Pompey in CF. Wilkerson at 2B, once Villar is traded. 

Once the calendar hits Aug 1st, Davis won’t be a roster problem anymore. I hope. 

Every waiver claim is going to have downfalls. If not they wouldn’t be on Waivers. See Nunez, Severino, Alberto. 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve looked at this a few times, and it’s a mix.    Manny Machado never played AAA.   Aaron Judge had 689 PA there.    Certainly plenty of elite players either skipped AAA or had only a brief time there.    

It's happenstance that major league teams have all ended up with about seven minor league teams, at about six levels.  There's no logical reason why a player has to spend time at each of six levels to progress to the majors, it's just that those levels exist right now and for lack of any better plan most players spend some time at most of them.

Nowhere else in the world is there a concept that you have to spend time at each of six levels.  In Japan teams basically have one minor league affiliate.  It's common for stars to be in the NPB at 19 or 20.  Other places, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico... limited or no minor league systems, they sign players from wherever they can,. and they play as much or as little as their abilities and projections allow.  In 1920 MLB teams didn't really have affiliated minor leagues, they just bought players from the minors.  It was after 1960 that all MLB teams had something approximating the affiliated structure we have today.  As late as 1962 the Twins didn't have a AA affiliate.  The Senators didn't have a AAA team until the 1950s.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we tried Broxton, why not Pompey?  Plus we have to take even the smallest chance to stick it to the Blue Jays. It’s worth it. 

Do we have any idea if he's healthy enough to play?  He hasn't played 100 games in a year in five years.  And less than 100 games total since the end of 2016.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We don’t have a true CF on the roster. CF isn’t as set in stone as we think. Mullins struggled a lot. Diaz is a RF, he’s not even playing CF in AA. McKenna has struggled with the bat. Hays is the one guy, but can he stay healthy?  Will Hays even be here OD 2020?  I hope. 

Ideally we could take a look at Pompey in CF. Wilkerson at 2B, once Villar is traded. 

Once the calendar hits Aug 1st, Davis won’t be a roster problem anymore. I hope. 

Every waiver claim is going to have downfalls. If not they wouldn’t be on Waivers. See Nunez, Severino, Alberto. 

I think we should be looking to trade for one in a deal for Givens, Mancini, Bundy, or Villar. 

I’m not against taking a flier but it just seems like another AAAA guy. Smith, Mancini, and Santander all need/deserve ABs. Smith mainly to see if he can make adjustments which it looks like he’s starting to make and perhaps all the side effects from the concussion are totally gone.

Trade Targets for CF

Cleveland -D Johnson

Nationals De La Rosa

Phillies - Moniak 

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Hays already has MLB experience. He's already 24. I don't see how letting him finish out the year in AAA would be a better scenario, than letting him gain some more MLB experience. Let's see what hes got.

I believe I read you can delay the service time by not being recalling him until next season 18 days in.

Letting him prove he’s healthy and being productive at AAA is not a bad thing.

This team is winning nothing so there is no reason to rush.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I believe I read you can delay the service time by not being recalling him until next season 18 days in..

This would be true if Hays had no major league service time.    But he already has 34 days.   He’d have to be held out until mid-May next year to avoid having him accrue a full year of service time by the end of 2020.     My feeling is, if he plays well enough to earn a spot on our roster, he should get called up.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This would be true if Hays had no major league service time.    But he already has 34 days.   He’d have to be held out until mid-May next year to avoid having him accrue a full year of service time by the end of 2020.     My feeling is, if he plays well enough to earn a spot on our roster, he should get called up.   

Preach it, brother Frobby.  I want to see Hays up here, the rest of this season is an audition for everyone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These are great points.  If the FO feels he's ready to contribute, he should be here.  I think service time would be a bigger deal if he were 21 or 22.