How happy are you with year 1 of the rebuild so far?

mrpennybags

How happy are you with year 1 of the rebuild so far?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Orioles are among the worst teams in baseball, but have some success stories from individual players who could be part of the team in the medium/long term. How do you feel about year 1?

• Pleased
    • Content
    • Indifferent
    • Disappointed
    • Embarrassed

I’m kind of taking a wait and see attitude.    The overall plan is the correct one, I think, but it’s all about how well it’s executed.    It’s too soon to tell about that.   There are certainly decisions I could second guess, but those are relatively unimportant.   

Very pleased.  Our front office is going after appropriate refuse from other organizations (Ruiz, Smith Jr, Broxton, Wojo) and giving them chances.  We are building out what I expect will be a top 10 analytical organization and introducing analytics throughout the organization in a game of catch-up with the rest of baseball.  We are investing in technology that we didn't have before.  We spent good $ in the 2018-19 J2 period and are off to a great start in this one.  We made a good trade with Cashner.  I believe we had a good draft last month.  The major league team is playing more competent baseball than I expected - especially with our top starter injured.  I love the way the guys in the major league dugout are cheering for each other when there is success.  I think our GM and the rest of the FO are checking the boxes that we wanted checked.

Regarding the actual performance of our players, I would we should be absolutely thrilled at the emergence of John Means and the performance of Trey Mancini - two all-star quality producers.  Our minor leaguers are performing IMO - as a whole - above expectations and showing tremendous depth.

It's a rebuild.  We still have overhang of bad contracts - not a surprise.  We are giving opportunities to guys who will not succeed at the major league level.

I would say the biggest reason I am pleased is that I have more confidence than at the beginning of the season that our next competitive team is NOT five years away.  It should not take until 2024 with the current minor leaguers we have, the projected payroll, the supplementary international talent.  Things are moving forward at a good pace.

• Like 1

I voted content. The team is in the hunt for 1:1 without being historically bad. This recent run has actually been a little fun, dare I say! And even though the MLB team is clearly bad, there are enough players providing hope, or at least entertainment value. 

In the minors, we added Rutschman, and I’m giving Elias the benefit of the doubt on some of these prospects. 

I couldn’t vote “pleased” because it’s your top choice and to me that would require some sort of unusual surprise to the upside (for example, some serious talent infusion in the minors, or killer trades) and I don’t think we have that yet 

I can't wait for Elio Prado and his brother from otra mamacita, Noelberth Romero!  ⚾

I like Elias' honesty, I love the infusion of new talent at Aberdeen (and they are winning thus far) and Brandon Hyde is more than treading water at the helm.  Go head-on!  As @Can_of_corn might say, "I'm in the pro-camp" but this is not a data point. 

Definitely content.    Don't really care whatsoever about what's going on with the big league club right now other than I'm happy that we may have something with John Means.   I think for the most part the other 24 guys have little chance of being around when we are competitive.  

What's going on in Delmarva and Bowie right now gives me the most encouragement for the future, and obviously I think we had a great 2019 draft, etc.  Things in the minor leagues are going better than I expected, really looking forward to seeing another step forward in 2020.

I voted indifferent. Other than maybe Means, I don't see anyone that figures into the longterm success of the team. It's wait and see with the minor league guys. I was happy with the draft and getting into the international market. It's basically wait and see for me at this point.

Obviously, time will tell, but it feels like a real blueprint has been laid out for this organization from top to bottom, and it's being (or will be followed) to the letter with little to no deviation. And what's more, this team is actually becoming fun to watch. Sure, there've been and will be nights where they get their heads flat out handed to them, but by and large, they've battled, and that's a testament to their own work ethic and to Hyde's direction. 

So I'd say I'm teetering between content and pleased, but leaning strongly towards the latter. 

By the way, I suspect I know of at least one poster who will almost certainly vote "embarrassed". :)

Content.  I think they're going in the right direction and doing smart things.  I'll be please when it starts to bear fruit in terms of wins and losses on the field, with quality players at the ML level and in the minor league system.

8 hours ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Obviously, time will tell, but it feels like a real blueprint has been laid out for this organization from top to bottom, and it's being (or will be followed) to the letter with little to no deviation. And what's more, this team is actually becoming fun to watch. Sure, there've been and will be nights where they get their heads flat out handed to them, but by and large, they've battled, and that's a testament to their own work ethic and to Hyde's direction

True. And spending all this time (last 20 games) in .500 territory, you could almost hear this motto starting to apply: the "Refuse to Lose" Orioles.

I'm pleased for a few reasons, in no particular order:

1. International commitment: Elias is talking it up and apparently backing up his talk with action. Odds are this will add good players over time.

2. Improved performance from guys already here: You're always going to have fluctuations. I think of Mancini, Givens and Diaz as guys like that. I'm more impressed by Means, Baumann, Rom, Sisco. Santander and really a lot of guys up and down our organization. Pitchers across the board pretty much have improved K rates. Many of our hitting prospects are faring well, aside from injuries. We have a few affiliates currently in first place in their leagues. I just get the sense that we have guys that are being put into a better position to succeed throughout the organization. We knew that player development was a big issue since the old Oriole Way, and there are encouraging signs that this is tremendously improved in a relatively short period of time. 

3. Decent acquisitions: Nunez, Alberto, Severino, Smith, Wojciecowski (sp?) and a few other guys have been decent, cheap, additions. There have been duds of course too, but we now have a few assets that we didn't have before, so I'm pleased/content with this.

4. Draft: I'm pleased/content with this too. Rutschman is a great get even though any GM could have pulled that trigger. The rest, I'm not so sure yet. There's reason for optimism, but I think most of it is a little premature. It would be a boon if the pitching from this draft turns into real prospects, considering we didn't take any in the first 200ish picks of the draft. 

• Upvote 1