Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/28)

OFFNY

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yeah but yesterday was an easy day and Friday was too. Shouldn’t have issues. And he had to bring in a guy with 0 outs anyway, just now it’s a tie game.

I would not have brought him back out. That said I can see why he did. Givens doubt is available. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would not have brought him back out. That said I can see why he did. Givens doubt is available. 

Armstrong has been doing well. I would have let him start the inning. You also have Tate and ... hmm Not sure. But at least those two.

Just now, scOtt said:

Y'all know where the term can of corn comes from? I'll give the namesake a chance to answer first, or anyone else who knows.

can of corn

A high, easy-to-catch, fly ballhit to the outfield. The phrase is said to have originated in the nineteenth-century and relates to an old-time grocer's method of getting canned goods down from a high shelf. Using a stick with a hook on the end, a grocer could tip a can so that it would fall for an easy catch into his apron. One theory for use of corn as the canned good in the phrase is that a can of corn was considered the easiest "catch" as corn was the best selling vegetable in the store and so was heavily stocked on the lowest shelves. Another theory is that the corn refers to the practice in the very early days of baseball of calling the outfield the "corn field", especially in early amateur baseball where the outfield may have been a farm field. Frequently used by Red Barber, a variation, 'A #8 CAN OF GOLDEN BANTAM' was favored by Bob Prince, Pittsburgh Pirates' announcer. The phrase was also used by Yankee announcer Phil Rizzutoand Red Sox and then White Sox broadcaster Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson. Also, a phrase used to refer to something that is not challenging. Informally, can of corn may be used as a phrase to describe mild excitement, personal acknowledgement or recognition of significance.

Just now, Philip said:

Armstrong has been doing well. I would have let him start the inning. You also have Tate and ... hmm Not sure. But at least those two.

I doubt he wants to use Tate in a close game if he can avoid it. That said he may have to. 

I just think on some days, Dylan is a 5 inning and be happy and get him out there type of a pitcher. Today was one of those days. 

I know you can say this for anyone but if he is on a better team he is in a better position to succeed. He isn’t pushed as much.  

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

can of corn

A high, easy-to-catch, fly ballhit to the outfield. The phrase is said to have originated in the nineteenth-century and relates to an old-time grocer's method of getting canned goods down from a high shelf. Using a stick with a hook on the end, a grocer could tip a can so that it would fall for an easy catch into his apron. One theory for use of corn as the canned good in the phrase is that a can of corn was considered the easiest "catch" as corn was the best selling vegetable in the store and so was heavily stocked on the lowest shelves. Another theory is that the corn refers to the practice in the very early days of baseball of calling the outfield the "corn field", especially in early amateur baseball where the outfield may have been a farm field. Frequently used by Red Barber, a variation, 'A #8 CAN OF GOLDEN BANTAM' was favored by Bob Prince, Pittsburgh Pirates' announcer. The phrase was also used by Yankee announcer Phil Rizzutoand Red Sox and then White Sox broadcaster Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson. Also, a phrase used to refer to something that is not challenging. Informally, can of corn may be used as a phrase to describe mild excitement, personal acknowledgement or recognition of significance.

JOHNNY Tell him what he's won!

Besides a case of Turtle wax, yooouuu've won a brand new MAYTAG WASHER AND DRYER!!!!!!

Archived