I hate the Yankees

25 Nuggets

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not many better ways than to see the Yankees exit the postseason than by seeing Chapman give up a walkoff.  

10 years without a WS appearance.  They must be in meltdown mode.

Try since 1983, dickfarts.  Try that one on for size and let me know how it feels.

New York won the World Series in 2009 – their 27th championship and first since 2000 at that time. Since then, The Wall Street Journal reported the team spent more than $2 billion on player salaries to get back to the championship. The team has yielded little success.

poor guys

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will say what I will about Bud Selig, he gets a bad rap.  He was goofy and folksy and that stupid All-Star debacle was unfortunate but whatever, there's like 40 players on each roster no one could have foreseen running out of pitchers.  He also turned a blind eye to the PED thing because everyone was making money hand over fist and interest in the game was rejuvenated after the '94 strike, I can't hate on him for that.

Way better than the current guy.  Give me Bud all day.

?

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not many better ways than to see the Yankees exit the postseason than by seeing Chapman give up a walkoff.  

10 years without a WS appearance.  They must be in meltdown mode.

Try since 1983, dickfarts.  Try that one on for size and let me know how it feels.

Yeah, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for any of the other 26 franchises or their fanbases that have won a pennant since we last showed up in the Fall Classic.  Yankee fans should try supporting a team that finishes under .500....wonder how that would fly. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure Girardi was a veritable wizard to coax 84 wins out of a $258 million payroll in '14.  Wasn't that the highest payroll in the history of baseball?  That was the Yanks version of the 1998 Orioles.  

Look at the active roster, who played and what their stats were. Without a good manager that team doesn't make it into the postseason. What the team's payroll was that year is irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did allow two inherited baserunners to score in game 3 against the Astros.

Yeah, this is true. The on-screen stats I was referring to were 7 innings, only 1 hit (but 4 walks), and 1 earned run.

He then added 1 inning, in which he loaded the bases on 1hit and 2 walks, but no more runs.

My recollection of his time with the O's was that it wasn't the best use of Zack to bring him in when there were runners already on.

11 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yeah, this is true. The on-screen stats I was referring to were 7 innings, 1 hit (but 4 walks), and 1 earned run.

He then added 1 inning, in which he loaded the bases on 1hit and 2 walks, but no more runs.

My recollection of his time with the O's was that it wasn't the best use of Zack to bring him in when there were runners already on.

I think that is true of pretty much anyone.  Was the main reason I didn't like Buck trying to squeeze a couple more outs from his starters.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that is true of pretty much anyone.  Was the main reason I didn't like Buck trying to squeeze a couple more outs from his starters.

Although, of course, some pitchers are better than others with inherited runners.

I wonder if Buck learned to pull his starters earlier in 2014. He somehow got an extraordinary performance from a mediocre staff.

43 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Although, of course, some pitchers are better than others with inherited runners.

I wonder if Buck learned to pull his starters earlier in 2014. He somehow got an extraordinary performance from a mediocre staff.

And then he forgot again?

The starters threw more innings in 2014 than any other year in Buck’s tenure.    That’s because they pitched better.

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will say what I will about Bud Selig, he gets a bad rap.  He was goofy and folksy and that stupid All-Star debacle was unfortunate but whatever, there's like 40 players on each roster no one could have foreseen running out of pitchers.  He also turned a blind eye to the PED thing because everyone was making money hand over fist and interest in the game was rejuvenated after the '94 strike, I can't hate on him for that.

Way better than the current guy.  Give me Bud all day.

I never liked Bud because he's dishonest. Also because he led the coup to oust the last semi-independent commish.  Bud made it absolutely clear he was representing the owners, not the sport, and not the players.

I don't have any really strong opinions about Manfred.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I never liked Bud because he's dishonest. Also because he led the coup to oust the last semi-independent commish.  Bud made it absolutely clear he was representing the owners, not the sport, and not the players.

Aw, Drungo, you're adorable...thinking that people in a position like that are good and honest and don't lean one way or another.  I bet you think that gambling in baseball is the worst thing that can happen in the sport, too.

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Aw, Drungo, you're adorable...thinking that people in a position like that are good and honest and don't lean one way or another.  I bet you think that gambling in baseball is the worst thing that can happen in the sport, too.

Shame on me for hoping that people in charge can be decent humans.

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I agree with this assessment of Selig, who never saw a problem he could pretend didn't exist. Well, almost never.

But I think for all his faults Selig was much better for the game than Mighty Manfred appears to be.