Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope this is much ado about nothing.  Quite frankly, with the way the Angelos clan appears to be absent at most things team related, I have a hard time believing that they'd care enough to move the team a few hundred miles away because they're all of a sudden in love with the thought of having the team there.

Not the mention it would absolutely skewer their reputation in Baltimore, where they and their father has a legacy of helping the community. They sat there at the Elias press conference and told us how much they are committed to Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fair enough, I just think it's a silly article and a pretty obviously bunk idea.  I did not see it as "attacking" you, I just agree that giving light to this article could spread rumors based on basically nothing. The Orioles are not moving to Nashville and there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that it's a possibility.

That's just my opinion, no hard feelings or anything. 

Really, so someone telling me I'm irresponsible for posting this is not attacking my credibility? You can have an opinion that it's a silly article or whatever, but to say I'm irresponsible for posting an article that had sources and also talked about potential local ownership groups is off the mark and attacks my credibility. 

I've been posting stuff on our various message boards for over 20 years and don't appreciate somebody telling me I'm irresponsible and then watch someone upvote that crap.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Really, so someone telling me I'm irresponsible for posting this is not attacking my credibility? You can have an opinion that it's a silly article or whatever, but to say I'm irresponsible for posting an article that had sources and also talked about potential local ownership groups is off the mark and attacks my credibility. 

I've been posting stuff on our various message boards for over 20 years and don't appreciate somebody telling me I'm irresponsible and then watch someone upvote that crap.

It's not that I think YOU are irresponsible, but the article itself. I guess that's why I upvoted it, which I shouldn't have in hindsight. Apologies. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

It's not that I think YOU are irresponsible, but the article itself. I guess that's why I upvoted it, which I shouldn't have in hindsight. Apologies. 

Ok, I can accept that, but that's not what the poster said, he said I was irresponsible for posting the article. I was surprised to see a poster of your caliber upvote a post that called me that, but I can see how you might have misconstrued the meaning since you disliked the article as well. 

Either way, I don't think the Orioles are moving anywhere. Tampa and Oakland are in much worse conditions/situations and MLB is not going to allow Camden Yards to be left without a team.

• Upvote 1

I can't see the O's moving to Nashville.  Charlotte would be a more likely destination.  Baltimore is the 21st largest metro area, Charlotte is the 22nd largest metro area, and Nashville is the 36th largest metro area.  Charlotte would draw from a large surrounding area, since there's no team between Atlanta and D.C.  Charlotte is also growing very fast and will be large than Baltimore in a few years.  I worked there for 3 months recently and half the city is a construction site.

I can't see the O's moving before Tampa, Miami, or Oakland. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, I can accept that, but that's not what the poster said, he said I was irresponsible for posting the article. I was surprised to see a poster of your caliber upvote a post that called me that, but I can see how you might have misconstrued the meaning since you disliked the article as well. 

Either way, I don't think the Orioles are moving anywhere. Tampa and Oakland are in much worse conditions/situations and MLB is not going to allow Camden Yards to be left without a team.

This. ☝️

Maybe they'll just bring the Nashville to Baltimore. 

1) Rename the stadium The Grand 'Ol OPACY. 

2) Change the team name to the Baltimore "Buckaroos"

3) Replace the ball caps with cowboy hats. 

4) Have relievers ride horses into the game (instead of bullpen carts).

5) Play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" every inning.

6) Add a Dolly Parton statue to the statue garden. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Maybe they'll just bring the Nashville to Baltimore. 

1) Rename the stadium The Grand 'Ol OPACY. 

2) Change the team name to the Baltimore "Buckaroos"

3) Replace the ball caps with cowboy hats. 

4) Have relievers ride horses into the game (instead of bullpen carts).

5) Play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" every inning.

6) Add a Dolly Parton statue to the statue garden. 

I think I'm firmly behind all of these changes except for #5. I imagine that song (on repeat) is on the Guantanamo Bay torture playlist. 

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This could be multiple things. Could be they are trying to get a better deal from the stadium authority and what better way than to provide some "leverage"? It also could be to help drum up local interest in buying the team so they can be the "savior". 

What I found more interesting than the Nashville rumor was the potential local groups interested in the club. If I was a local billionaire, I'd have to consider the Orioles a potential good buy because the organization is a heading in the right direction. Then again, I'd need to know more about the MASN litigation because losing rights to most of Virginia and NC would hurt for revenue I imagine.

I think we *might* just be overestimating the role owning a professional sports team is to some of these people.  

Guys like you and me, the other posters here, we dream of owning a team like the Orioles and it's...man, we'd be in the Warehouse 24/7, we'd be shaking hands at games, we'd be in the owner suite EVERY GAME...it would be OUR JOB.  

Across sports, there are owners like that, Jerry Jones immediately comes to mind.  I don't know what Jerry Jones does outside of the Cowboys.  And quite frankly, the Cowboys brand is so big, he probably doesn't need to have any other business ventures.  He probably does, but perhaps none as big as the Cowboys.  

Then there are owners who are just rich guys that...like to say they own a sports team.  Sure, they care about the bottom line as any good businessperson would like to, but at the end of the day it's just...part of their portfolio.  It's something that they can say they did at the end of their run.  It doesn't define who they are.  

When discussing the Angelos family, I think we often forget Big Pete's first item of business is to run that law firm and that's going to be his legacy.  The kids?  Not sure, but they don't seem to be too heavily invested.  And if they're not heavily invested with the Orioles, I am sure they have other life pursuits and business interests that might come before the team.

A local billionaire might look at the Orioles as something fun, a rich guy's feather in the cap.  "Hey, if I buy this team and take it to the World Series, awesome...but if it doesn't turn a profit after a couple years, I'm out."   

All of this is to say is that I don't always think sports owners are as die-hard about things as we'd like them to be.  It could be quite possible that the kids haven't even considered the fact that the lease is up in 2021 and they'll figure out the details whenever the timing is right.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

I think the main takeaway is from earlier in the article where it says (paraphrasing): Multiple sources are saying the Angelos family is indeed looking to sell the team, but their preference is to keep it in Baltimore by selling to local investors.

I agree with this. ^^^ I love what Elias is doing, but there's very little about this rebuild strategy that doesn't align with an ownership group that is stripping things down to sell. I'm ok with that, but the implication are huge for this organization over the long run. I just hope Elias et al still have the bloom on their rose if/when new ownership comes in.

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

I think the city will find new local buyers and Baltimore will continue to grow and improve over the next twenty years.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

The millennials are moving in to Baltimore at a nice rate.One of the fastest growing demographics in the city.The problem is they don't stay if they want to raise a family.

Baltimore's population has been dwindling for decades now. It is not a growing city and won't become one without significant changes. 
https://www.biggestuscities.com/city/baltimore-maryland

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If I was a local billionaire, I'd have to consider the Orioles a potential good buy because the organization is a heading in the right direction. Then again, I'd need to know more about the MASN litigation because losing rights to most of Virginia and NC would hurt for revenue I imagine.

I think the O's could be a pretty good buy because I think they have a very real fan base in all of the surrounding counties. Still, the population of the city is dwindling, crime is up from already high levels, the political dynamics are stuffed with fraud, the MASN revenue stream is at significant risk, attendance is down like 60-70% since the 90's and the Nationals took a real chunk out of the fan base. I think Orange colored glasses say it's a good buy, but reality is even a good team could face a tough economic environment while still having to compete against the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays every year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we *might* just be overestimating the role owning a professional sports team is to some of these people.  

Guys like you and me, the other posters here, we dream of owning a team like the Orioles and it's...man, we'd be in the Warehouse 24/7, we'd be shaking hands at games, we'd be in the owner suite EVERY GAME...it would be OUR JOB.  

Across sports, there are owners like that, Jerry Jones immediately comes to mind.  I don't know what Jerry Jones does outside of the Cowboys.  And quite frankly, the Cowboys brand is so big, he probably doesn't need to have any other business ventures.  He probably does, but perhaps none as big as the Cowboys.  

Then there are owners who are just rich guys that...like to say they own a sports team.  Sure, they care about the bottom line as any good businessperson would like to, but at the end of the day it's just...part of their portfolio.  It's something that they can say they did at the end of their run.  It doesn't define who they are.  

When discussing the Angelos family, I think we often forget Big Pete's first item of business is to run that law firm and that's going to be his legacy.  The kids?  Not sure, but they don't seem to be too heavily invested.  And if they're not heavily invested with the Orioles, I am sure they have other life pursuits and business interests that might come before the team.

A local billionaire might look at the Orioles as something fun, a rich guy's feather in the cap.  "Hey, if I buy this team and take it to the World Series, awesome...but if it doesn't turn a profit after a couple years, I'm out."   

All of this is to say is that I don't always think sports owners are as die-hard about things as we'd like them to be.  It could be quite possible that the kids haven't even considered the fact that the lease is up in 2021 and they'll figure out the details whenever the timing is right.  

On a somewhat related note season 2 of Succession premiered on HBO last night. For those unfamiliar it's a show about an old rich curmudgeon and his spoiled entitled children jockeying for control of his company. In season one the old man had a stroke (and they thought he was done), but he rallied. So maybe the plot twist in all of this will be a reappearance by Peter Angelos, Sr. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

On a somewhat related note season 2 of Succession premiered on HBO last night. For those unfamiliar it's a show about an old rich curmudgeon and his spoiled entitled children jockeying for control of his company. In season one the old man had a stroke (and they thought he was done), but he rallied. So maybe the plot twist in all of this will be a reappearance by Peter Angelos, Sr. ;)

All do respect, I don't think Peter Angelos is ill like that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The millennials are moving in to Baltimore at a nice rate.One of the fastest growing demographics in the city.The problem is they don't stay if they want to raise a family.

Baltimore's population has been dwindling for decades now. It is not a growing city and won't become one without significant changes. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the O's could be a pretty good buy because I think they have a very real fan base in all of the surrounding counties. Still, the population of the city is dwindling, crime is up from already high levels, the political dynamics are stuffed with fraud, the MASN revenue stream is at significant risk, attendance is down like 60-70% since the 90's and the Nationals took a real chunk out of the fan base. I think Orange colored glasses say it's a good buy, but reality is even a good team could face a tough economic environment while still having to compete against the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays every year. 

I didn't say the Baltimore  City population is growing. I said the  population has grown for millennials. The overall population keeps dwindling. And Port Covington will help but that might be 20 years.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I agree with this. ^^^ I love what Elias is doing, but there's very little about this rebuild strategy that doesn't align with an ownership group that is stripping things down to sell. I'm ok with that, but the implication are huge for this organization over the long run. I just hope Elias et al still have the bloom on their rose if/when new ownership comes in.

While it’s true that the population as a whole has been declining, the millennial population as well as the concentration of that population in waterfront neighborhoods (Federal Hill, Canton, Fells Pt) has continued to climb. 

I think it’s reasonable to expect that in the next decade this will have a spillover effect outside of these 3 neighborhoods, and the population as a whole will hopefully turn around.

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

While it’s true that the population as a whole has been declining, the millennial population as well as the concentration of that population in waterfront neighborhoods (Federal Hill, Canton, Fells Pt) has continued to climb. 

I think it’s reasonable to expect that in the next decade this will have a spillover effect outside of these 3 neighborhoods, and the population as a whole will hopefully turn around.

i think Locust Point is the fastest growing among millennials.  The city needs some new people in government. Been terrible for years.