Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

I do feel like the framing of this thread is perhaps a bit misleading.   There is a line in the article that states:   "One rumor has the family retaining ownership but the club moving to Nashville, where John Angelos and his wife have one of their homes."

But there is no follow up off of that really.  Seems like mostly speculation.

I think the main takeaway is from earlier in the article where it says (paraphrasing): Multiple sources are saying the Angelos family is indeed looking to sell the team, but their preference is to keep it in Baltimore by selling to local investors.

Still absolutely newsworthy, and worthy of discussion.   But I wouldn't start freaking out about everything just yet.   If it's true that the brothers' main preference is to sell the team.........then the idea of them retaining ownership in another city doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Anyone who has spent more than 5 seconds researching the situation in Nashville knows that it's not happening. Posting an article that says it could happen because ONE of the Angelos' sons have a house in Nashville is, yes, irresponsible.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "irresponsible", but it's it's definitely highly speculative. I miss the days when editors wouldn't sign off on stories / articles until reporters had facts / sources to back their claims. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not sure I'd use the word "irresponsible", but it's it's definitely highly speculative. I miss the days when editors wouldn't sign off on stories / articles until reporters had facts / sources to back their claims. 

FWIW, the Baltimore Post-Examiner is owned by Phillip Anschutz who is known for owning newspapers that are right-wing tabloids. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Last year we were the worst team in baseball. We didn’t have the worst attendance, or the second worst, or even the third worst.

Just five years ago, in 2014, we had the 14th best attendance out of all 30 teams.

Camden Yards consistently gets ranked as one of the top 5 stadiums in baseball, by national news outlets.

Also, many East Coast cities, like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Atlanta are rapidly growing, as more and more college-educated millennials opt to buy houses in and around them, instead of moving out to the suburbs. I think the city will find new local buyers and Baltimore will continue to grow and improve over the next twenty years.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah. This is a garbage article with nothing but speculation and rumor. Nothing to see here, folks. 

Michael Olesker used to be a respected writer for the Sun until a plagiarism issue.He used to also go on WJZ TV.He knows Baltimore and has written a few books about it.Peter Schmuck also mentioned Nashville last year in the Sun.Both writers said the Orioles will most likely be in Baltimore. 

Two of my friends worked for Sinclair broadcasting in Hunt Valley.Both did not have a good experience with the way employees were treated. Heard they have gotten a little better.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Last year we were the worst team in baseball. We didn’t have the worst attendance, or the second worst, or even the third worst.

Just five years ago, in 2014, we had the 14th best attendance out of all 30 teams.

Camden Yards consistently gets ranked as one of the top 5 stadiums in baseball, by national news outlets.

Also, many East Coast cities, like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Atlanta are rapidly growing, as more and more college-educated millennials opt to buy houses in and around them, instead of moving out to the suburbs. I think the city will find new local buyers and Baltimore will continue to grow and improve over the next twenty years.

The millennials are moving in to Baltimore at a nice rate.One of the fastest growing demographics in the city.The problem is they don't stay if they want to raise a family.

The Angelos family moving the team to Nashville would be a blessing as far as I'm concerned. Let them leave the name and the uniforms and the Rays or A's will be in Baltimore in no time. Imagine those organizations with some resources.

7 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Still....one would think that there would likely be a lot of litigation given how much Maryland has invested in Camden Yards if they just up and left. 

Without a lease? No. I've been a poster who has warned about 2021 for a long while. I was a Portland speculator myself. But I'd go see them in Nashville. Or Asheville. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Anyone who has spent more than 5 seconds researching the situation in Nashville knows that it's not happening. Posting an article that says it could happen because ONE of the Angelos' sons have a house in Nashville is, yes, irresponsible.

Share the research you've found please. I'd prefer not to duplicate the quest. 

40 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

FWIW, the Baltimore Post-Examiner is owned by Phillip Anschutz who is known for owning newspapers that are right-wing tabloids. 

Is that true? I thought the Baltimore Examiner was, but it went out of business in 2009...and the "Post" Examiner was started by the former managing editor. I don't really read the publication so I'm not sure if it's followed the conservative leanings of the old Examiner.