Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No way MLB lets OPACY go empty for any amount of time.

Not gonna lie, the thought of the Rays moving in seems pretty nice.  

I kid, I kid....

Or do I? 

Seriously though the Rays can't be long for Tampa can they? Crappy stadium...poor attendance....

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No way MLB lets OPACY go empty for any amount of time.

Not gonna lie, the thought of the Rays moving in seems pretty nice.  

I kid, I kid....

Or do I? 

The same. It would absolutely be terrible if the Rays organization moved into the warehouse. The horror, the horror.

I actually might approve of it if the Orioles had to leave their name and team colors behind. 

But if the A's can't move, I don't see how another MLB team relocates. 

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

Anyone who has spent more than 5 seconds researching the situation in Nashville knows that it's not happening. Posting an article that says it could happen because ONE of the Angelos' sons have a house in Nashville is, yes, irresponsible.

I didn't say I agree with this article, but posting an article that quotes sources is not irresponsible. Grow up and stop telling what I can or can't post on my site. I've only been doing this since 1996. I think I understated what's irresponsible and what is worth conversation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I do feel like the framing of this thread is perhaps a bit misleading.   There is a line in the article that states:   "One rumor has the family retaining ownership but the club moving to Nashville, where John Angelos and his wife have one of their homes."

But there is no follow up off of that really.  Seems like mostly speculation.

I think the main takeaway is from earlier in the article where it says (paraphrasing): Multiple sources are saying the Angelos family is indeed looking to sell the team, but their preference is to keep it in Baltimore by selling to local investors.

Still absolutely newsworthy, and worthy of discussion.   But I wouldn't start freaking out about everything just yet.   If it's true that the brothers' main preference is to sell the team.........then the idea of them retaining ownership in another city doesn't make a lot of sense.

I took it from the article title. There are giant question marks after it. A misleading title would be, "Are the Orioles about to move to Nashville?"

It's just a title to get people to discuss. it's what we do here, discuss the merits of articles and information about the Orioles. 

For me, I have a hard time seeing them move, but I have heard the Nashville rumor before, mainly because John Angelos has ties to the area.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I took it from the article title. There are giant question marks after it. A misleading title would be, "Are the Orioles about to move to Nashville?"

it's just a title to get people to discuss. it's what we do here, discuss the merits of articles and information about the Orioles. 

For me, I have a hard time seeing them move, but I have heard the Nashville rumor before, mainly because John Angelos has ties to the area.

From what I can ascertain, seems that he's just got a house there.  Are there any other strong ties to the area?  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

From what I can ascertain, seems that he's just got a house there.  Are there any other strong ties to the area?  

I honestly don't know, it was told to me by someone who knows some things about him. I really didn't get into it because it was last year when i was doing my research on the piece about Buck, Duquette and Angelos.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah. This is a garbage article with nothing but speculation and rumor. Nothing to see here, folks. 

That downvote was for you upvoting someone telling me this post is irresponsible. See my comment if you have an issues with it. I expect better from you. You are a pretty good poster and for you to upvote someone attacking me is disappointing.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly don't know, it was told to me by someone who knows some things about him. I really didn't get into it because it was last year when i was doing my research on the piece about Buck, Duquette and Angelos.

I hope this is much ado about nothing.  Quite frankly, with the way the Angelos clan appears to be absent at most things team related, I have a hard time believing that they'd care enough to move the team a few hundred miles away because they're all of a sudden in love with the thought of having the team there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That downvote was for you upvoting someone telling this post is irresponsible. See my comment if you have an issues with it. I expect better from you. You are a pretty good poster and for you to upvote someone attacking me is disappointing.

Fair enough, I just think it's a silly article and a pretty obviously bunk idea.  I did not see it as "attacking" you, I just agree that giving light to this article could spread rumors based on basically nothing. The Orioles are not moving to Nashville and there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that it's a possibility.

That's just my opinion, no hard feelings or anything. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope this is much ado about nothing.  Quite frankly, with the way the Angelos clan appears to be absent at most things team related, I have a hard time believing that they'd care enough to move the team a few hundred miles away because they're all of a sudden in love with the thought of having the team there.

So what you want about their ownership but the family has always been pro Baltimore. 

It would be disgusting if they tried something like this.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This could be multiple things. Could be they are trying to get a better deal from the stadium authority and what better way than to provide some "leverage"? It also could be to help drum up local interest in buying the team so they can be the "savior". 

What I found more interesting than the Nashville rumor was the potential local groups interested in the club. If I was a local billionaire, I'd have to consider the Orioles a potential good buy because the organization is a heading in the right direction. Then again, I'd need to know more about the MASN litigation because losing rights to most of Virginia and NC would hurt for revenue I imagine.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The city of Nashville will also have to publically finance a new stadium and I have a hard time seeing that happening. And if Nashville does use public funds to build a new stadium, why not go after the Rays or A's instead of the Orioles? Those two teams have far superior front offices and have had a lot more success over the past 10-15 years than the Orioles have. I'm sure Sternberg would be more than happy to move the Rays to Nashville if they gave him a new stadium. 

I would imagine attempting to pry a team from another city has almost everything to do with economic factors (ease and cost of prying them away), and almost nothing to do with the current FO or recent success.