Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

And your case would be totally without merit.  I could make a much stronger case that the Davis offensive performance over the last two years is the worst in baseball history and on an “AB by AB basis” he is the worst offensive player in MLB and no one is close to second.  He would have been released a year ago save for his contract but he is not a major league performer any longer. 

When I say "AB per AB" basis, what I am referring to, is just looking at CDs at-bats visually, with a small sample size, you can't say his play is really embarassing.    So if you looked at CDs 10 worst at bats, and compared to the 10 worst at bats for say, Trey Mancini, and thats all the info you had for either player. it would be hard to say that one is a good MLB hitter while the other doesn't belong in the league.   Compared to someone who has no business being at the plate (e.g certain pitchers), where its obvious they just are terrible hitters.   I agree when you look at his stats overall,  you could say the results are embarassing, but that something different. 

Chris Davis should probably be embarrassed about his play, but I’ll never understand the attitude that he should quit and give guaranteed money back because he’s bad now. The Orioles made a bad deal and they knew the risk. Chris Davis didn’t hold them hostage. The Orioles should be more embarrassed that they gave him that contract and that they continue to run him out there in a major league lineup. The organization screwed up, it’s up to them to end the embarrassment. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 24fps said:

OK quick - and no cheating - this is important.  Based on these tweets, which consciousness is the more frightening?  Remember, your future depends on your answer.

Sports stars are not MENSA students.  They throw balls.

Davis is going to have to be forced off the roster, and a lot of stuff has to go right for that. The COF spots have to be occupied(Stewart and Santander), pushing Mancini to 1B, and Nunez to DH. Then Mountcastle has to force his way on the team, just to take another COF/DH roster spot. Then they all have to play well and be healthy. One injury and Davis stays. 

I think he’s here through a big portion of next year. The more of the season he’s here, the closer it’s till rosters expand. 

.629 OPS vs RHP

.327 OPS vs LHP

.691 OPS vs Finesse P

It’s easy for Hyde, just don’t play him against LHP, or any P that throws hard. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Davis is going to have to be forced off the roster, and a lot of stuff has to go right for that. The COF spots have to be occupied(Stewart and Santander), pushing Mancini to 1B, and Nunez to DH. Then Mountcastle has to force his way on the team, just to take another COF/DH roster spot. Then they all have to play well and be healthy. One injury and Davis stays. 

I think he’s here through a big portion of next year. The more of the season he’s here, the closer it’s till rosters expand. 

.629 OPS vs RHP

.327 OPS vs LHP

.691 OPS vs Finesse P

It’s easy for Hyde, just don’t play him against LHP, or any P that throws hard. 

All of that might be meaningless.  One thing has to happen, ownership needs to sign off on it.

12 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Chris Davis should probably be embarrassed about his play, but I’ll never understand the attitude that he should quit and give guaranteed money back because he’s bad now. The Orioles made a bad deal and they knew the risk. Chris Davis didn’t hold them hostage. The Orioles should be more embarrassed that they gave him that contract and that they continue to run him out there in a major league lineup. The organization screwed up, it’s up to them to end the embarrassment. 

Everyone acknowledges the O's made a mistake. Some of us are holding out hope that Davis will, of his own prerogative, get tired of playing and seek a buyout/retirement package. Obviously he does not have Luck's history of severe injuries but I could see a point where it would not be worth it to me to continue playing.

14 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I think we all wish he'd retire, that's not really the issue.  But as long as the money tree exists in his backyard that the Angelosii planted, why shouldn't he continue to harvest from it?  If he can stomach being terrible and not living up to the expectation of the contract he was given, who are we to question him?

You can make whatever arguments you'd like about him being shameless as I and others have on the thousand threads running here... but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to admit he's terrible and move-on on his own... And nor should he feel obligated to.  It was the Angelosii that said, "Here, take this money to stay an Oriole, Chris."  ...and when there were exactly NO other suitors.

He's merely saying each day, "Ok." 

This is not a Chris Davis issue.  It's an issue of the last remnants of everything that was wrong with our O's under the regime up to when Elias was hired.  If they don't have the balls to move on from the bad contract THEY initiated - for whatever reason, fidelity to CD, personal like of him... who cares.  They continue to look like morons everyday he's on the team.  The ball is in their court.

I won't even get into how this casts shade on whether they have REALLY given the reigns to Elias or not.  But everyday CD remains on the team and the guys who hired him do nothing about it, it makes me wonder if anything has really changed or whether it's just a white-wash.

You do have a point about Elias. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I think we all wish he'd retire, that's not really the issue.  But as long as the money tree exists in his backyard that the Angelosii planted, why shouldn't he continue to harvest from it?  If he can stomach being terrible and not living up to the expectation of the contract he was given, who are we to question him?

You can make whatever arguments you'd like about him being shameless as I and others have on the thousand threads running here... but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to admit he's terrible and move-on on his own... And nor should he feel obligated to.  It was the Angelosii that said, "Here, take this money to stay an Oriole, Chris."  ...and when there were exactly NO other suitors.

He's merely saying each day, "Ok." 

This is not a Chris Davis issue.  It's an issue of the last remnants of everything that was wrong with our O's under the regime up to when Elias was hired.  If they don't have the balls to move on from the bad contract THEY initiated - for whatever reason, fidelity to CD, personal like of him... who cares.  They continue to look like morons everyday he's on the team.  The ball is in their court.

I won't even get into how this casts shade on whether they have REALLY given the reigns to Elias or not.  But everyday CD remains on the team and the guys who hired him do nothing about it, it makes me wonder if anything has really changed or whether it's just a white-wash.

Ah. Which guys hired him? Certainly we all know it was Peter who is no longer a functioning component of the team in any manner. 

• Upvote 1