Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Instead of all these silly threads telling Davis to retire and give up over 70 million dollars why not start threads asking the Angelos sons to release Davis.  They don’t lose any money releasing him.

Oh, I like these much better thanks, Besides, it the same thread that has been here for a while!

I don’t know why all these hangout members are so anti Chris Davis.  They were so pro Chris Davis in the past.  When I said WAR over valued him they all argued with me. He is basically Dave Kingman.  The difference is back in the day Orioles fans all knew Kingman was a bad baseball player.  For some reason current fans somehow convinced themselves that Kingman like numbers were suddenly good.  Just because WAR mistakenly said they were good, 

It is like the argument that I had when I said Markakis was a good outfielder.  People argued about it because of Defensive WAR.  Now the same people are discounting defensive WAR.  Just because someone comes up with a new stat doesn’t mean it’s true.

33 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don’t know why all these hangout members are so anti Chris Davis.  They were so pro Chris Davis in the past.  When I said WAR over valued him they all argued with me. He is basically Dave Kingman.  The difference is back in the day Orioles fans all knew Kingman was a bad baseball player.  For some reason current fans somehow convinced themselves that Kingman like numbers were suddenly good.  Just because WAR mistakenly said they were good, 

It is like the argument that I had when I said Markakis was a good outfielder.  People argued about it because of Defensive WAR.  Now the same people are discounting defensive WAR.  Just because someone comes up with a new stat doesn’t mean it’s true.

Do you not understand that there is a substantive difference between a .950 OPS player and a .550 OPS player?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Nope, if I am Chris Davis, I continue working as hard as I can at my profession until I am no longer employed by the Orioles.  And, if I am not employed, then I expect them to live up to the contract. Period.    

Now, only if that were true.

• Upvote 1

Luck left partly as he said he lost the love of the game and mentally had checked out.  Davis in interviews has sounded like a guy that no longer loves the game and it maybe breaking him down mentally too.  He has left the ballpark and had to stop as he cried to much on way home.  Luck left 20 million on table this season if he played one snap which is good chunk of change.  If the Orioles offered a good sizeable buyout this season it all honesty based on Davis's comments I could see him leave especially if he is bringing that mental anguish home to his wife and family.  Davis has made plenty of money and will be fine either way.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's easy to do when it's not you.  No one can say what they would do in his shoes.  I'd like to think I would approach the team about a buyout.  

Also, if he used steroids to have success and the contract and then stopped using for some reason then he should do something in regards to some relief for the team.  

He sure as hell isn't as big as he used to be.  

It was a bit of sarcasm and wishful thinking. I wish Davis would get back on the juice and the adderal and whatever else can help him out. That’s the fan in me. 

The human being wishes Davis would retire and walk away from the game happy and healthy and I’m sure he could come back as an analyst or something. 

7 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

It was a bit of sarcasm and wishful thinking. I wish Davis would get back on the juice and the adderal and whatever else can help him out. That’s the fan in me. 

The human being wishes Davis would retire and walk away from the game happy and healthy and I’m sure he could come back as an analyst or something. 

He'd make a great watching third base while taking strike three coach.

Just doing a little math and wishful thinking...

If I get paid over, say, 40 weeks of work, that gives me 12 weeks vacation to not worry about work.  So for CD, that would mean each year, being a Boy of Summer, he'd get paid a little over 50K / wk. and then have 12 weeks, the worst weather weeks of the year to go and do whatever in the world he chooses... why would he give that up?  I wouldn't.  That's a dream life!  It's shameless, perhaps, I know, but he didn't twist anyone's arm to get it.  It's like owning a printing press or the proverbial money tree that my father told me doesn't exist.  But it DOES!!!  So asking him, or anyone, to simply pass on the remainder or to ask for an out is just silly.

There's a percentage of people who are wealthy enough to do that, but I'll bet you none of them got where they are by giving money back or not accepting it when it's offered... and offered/given via a binding contract.

This is on the Angelos family.  THEY need to address it in one of two ways because there really aren't any other options. 1 - Try to buy him out; or 2 - Release him and pay him according to the contract.  Either way THEY need to accept their "mea culpa."  It's their disaster and one that they continue to be reminded of everyday he proves to be terrible.

4 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Just doing a little math and wishful thinking...

If I get paid over, say, 40 weeks of work, that gives me 12 weeks vacation to not worry about work.  So for CD, that would mean each year, being a Boy of Summer, he'd get paid a little over 50K / wk. and then have 12 weeks, the worst weather weeks of the year to go and do whatever in the world he chooses... why would he give that up?  I wouldn't.  That's a dream life!  It's shameless, perhaps, I know, but he didn't twist anyone's arm to get it.  It's like owning a printing press or the proverbial money tree that my father told me doesn't exist.  But it DOES!!!  So asking him, or anyone, to simply pass on the remainder or to ask for an out is just silly.

There's a percentage of people who are wealthy enough to do that, but I'll bet you none of them got where they are by giving money back or not accepting it when it's offered... and offered/given via a binding contract.

This is on the Angelos family.  THEY need to address it in one of two ways because there really aren't any other options. 1 - Try to buy him out; or 2 - Release him and pay him according to the contract.  Either way THEY need to accept their "mea culpa."  It's their disaster and one that they continue to be reminded of everyday he proves to be terrible.

Andrew Luck did it.