What will Elias' Top 5 goals be this off-season?

Greg Pappas

1. Determine trade markets for his assets and make moves accordingly

2. Build up scouting/analytics departments

3. 40 Man Roster Management - DFA, Waivers, FA sign (should sign a SP, SS, and 4th OF if economically viable)

4. Improve international Facilities/Player Development Staff

5. Business Marketing - Continue to rebrand the Orioles, find creative ways to use Camden Yards for community events, market our youth movement.  This can't be overlooked as Elias knows it is key to keep the fanbase intrigued.  I think its his goal to have a better onfield product next year and he wants to be keep enough eyes on the team to get butts in the seats next year.  It was a smart move agreeing to play in the 2020 Little League Classic.  J2 got this board hyped.  He has successfully reached the faithful and informed O's fan base, but he knows now that he needs to better engage the fringe fans.

• Upvote 2

I expect him to look at the trade market, but would be quite surprised if we really go there for anything significant. Givens needs to build his value before he's traded. Trumbo and Davis (praying) should be gone, so there's no pressing need to move guys at 1B. I'd guess that if we move anyone of significance, it would be Mancini. I just doubt that happens.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

3. 40 Man Roster Management - DFA, Waivers, FA sign (should sign a SP, SS, and 4th OF if economically viable)

5. Business Marketing - Continue to rebrand the Orioles, find creative ways to use Camden Yards for community events, market our youth movement.  This can't be overlooked as Elias knows it is key to keep the fanbase intrigued.  I think its his goal to have a better onfield product next year and he wants to be keep enough eyes on the team to get butts in the seats next year.  It was a smart move agreeing to play in the 2020 Little League Classic.  J2 got this board hyped.  He has successfully reached the faithful and informed O's fan base, but he knows now that he needs to better engage the fringe fans.

Each of the items you listed makes sense. Good post. #4 in particular is of great interest to me. I'm really looking forward to reading about how we've made serious facility upgrades and prospect development inroads, internationally.

58 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I don't think #5 falls under the GM although it's something the Os should do. Elias should be focused on baseball.

For #5 I will go with prep for the Rule 5 Draft, an Orioles tradition! 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

A lot of people are saying we need to sign some cheap FAs, starter, so we can win some games. put some butts in the seats.

I like your way better. Market the future and STICK TO THE PLAN.

50 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Each of the items you listed makes sense. God post. #4 in particular is of great interest to me. I'm really looking forward to reading about how we've made serious facility upgrades and prospect development inroads, internationally.

It's a good post, but let's not go overboard here.

;)

• Haha 1

I like this OP.

1. Hire a scouting director who is on board with Elias's whole thing.

2. Finish building out the analytics and international scouting departments with hires to help Sig and Koby. 

3. Make any necessary coaching changes/hires/promotions/adjustments.

4. Obliterate the 40-man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft.

5. Trade Mychal Givens and, if possible, Villar. 

• Upvote 1

1. Increase the young talent in the system
2. Build up the infrastructure and personnel necessary to increase the young talent in the system
3. Solidify the team's international presence so as to increase the young talent in the system
4. Send out some marketing stuff highlighting that the farm system has gone from, like, 36th in the majors to 12th in less than a year
5. Get a solid eight hours of sleep a night.  You need your sleep.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1. Increase the young talent in the system
2. Build up the infrastructure and personnel necessary to increase the young talent in the system
3. Solidify the team's international presence so as to increase the young talent in the system
4. Send out some marketing stuff highlighting that the farm system has gone from, like, 36th in the majors to 12th in less than a year
5. Get a solid eight hours of sleep a night.  You need your sleep.

Sensing a trend. 

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:
  1. Trade Villar and Bundy before the non-tender deadline
  2. Replace any coaches he and Hyde want to replace
  3. Fill out scouting staff, including hire director
  4. Fill out international scouting staff
  5. Convince ownership to let him release Chris Davis

I'd LOVE to know what the plan is moving forward regarding Davis and am curious to know whether this has already been determined. Anyone here work for the FBI, NSA, or Bobby Axelrod? Maybe a well-placed bug would do the trick? :P