What did Bleier do?

AceKing

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don’t get it? Seems like Flores is the bad guy to some. But since when is it okay for a player to bad mouth a coach? Davis couldn’t make the play. Flores gets fussed at by the pitcher because he positioned Davis in an area where Davis couldn’t make the play? 

Waving a player to follow you to the tunnel and ranting back and forth in front of the cameras in the dugout and pointing a finger right in Armstrong’s face?...unless Bleier called him a personal name, it is hard to see how one justifies a public display like that in the dugout from supposedly someone more mature and also a coach.  That is why there are clubhouses. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. I don't know why people are in a rush to discount 2+ years of good numbers as small sample size and then nontender him based on one bad year. I would hope they can agree to terms without arb but if forced I could think of worse uses of $1M. Unless he is a disruptive hothead in the clubhouse, that is.

There are several reasons to non tender Bleier:

1) He will be a 33 year old guy coming off a bad season on a team going through a youth movement.  Let a younger player have the roster spot.

2) He is a reliever that does not strikeout many batters and therefore he outperformed his peripherals in  the previous years.   

3) There is the risk that maybe he can't get back to his pre surgery self.

4) Considering 1 through 3 if he is non tendered then maybe no team gives him a major league contract. 

So maybe the O's can non tender him and re-sign him to a minor league contract this off season and save part of the $1m that he may get if he is tendered.

• Upvote 1

So, back on p1 I read Bleier jumped off the mound,  threw his arms in the air, almost rushed past Hyde to the point that Hyde had to reach for the ball. Maybe Florres said something about that disrespect before Bleier questioned positioning. That might elicit a response defending Hyde.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Waving a player to follow you to the tunnel and ranting back and forth in front of the cameras in the dugout and pointing a finger right in Armstrong’s face?...unless Bleier called him a personal name, it is hard to see how one justifies a public display like that in the dugout from supposedly someone more mature and also a coach.  That is why there are clubhouses. 

If I may say so, he probably wanted Bleier in the tunnel precisely to avoid having a prolonged argument in front of the cameras.   

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If I may say so, he probably wanted Bleier in the tunnel precisely to avoid having a prolonged argument in front of the cameras.   

Yes. I don’t understand why people here are so quick to pass judgement on the coach. Bleier had no justification for throwing a tantrum about the defense or anything else. Except maybe his awful pitching.

Heck, if he could occasionally get the ball down when he pitches maybe he wouldn’t be looking at Korea or a MiL deal next season.

Regarding Buck, he was extremely disliked by some of his players during his stint with the Yankees and he wore out his welcome in Arizona pretty fast despite winning. He was extremely over bearing when he was a fresh manager and admitted as much in interviews when first hired as Orioles manager. Also remember that there were grumbles about the clubhouse culture, over reliance on vets, etc, during Bucks last couple of years. I really like Buck and think he was a good manager, but no one is perfect. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have never seen an Oriole coach do that in the dugout with a player...ever.   Earl maybe but coaches?  Never seen it that I recall.  

Watch the clip again from ESPN... when Flores comes back out of the tunnel, he is STILL ranting and pushing his finger right in Armstrong’s face.  We will just disagree, but I think him going off was unnecessary and unprofessional.   If he was pushing that finger of his in a lot of guys faces, he very may well have had gotten his lights punched out.