What did Bleier do?

AceKing

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year’s team played like they didn’t give a damn.     So yes, probably this wouldn’t have happened.    

I think this is a very poor response. The coaches were there many years and never had an issue with the players. Part of several playoff teams. 

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know that. My point is what are they willing to pay him? He would be getting some kind of a raise. I agree this isn’t someone where it is about big money. 

To me his age works against him as well. That said I could see if they value his intangibles and he is good in the clubhouse wanting him back. They may feel a full offseason he could get closer to where he was. 

Well if he is better than the alternatives than bring him back. He hasn't been good this year but is he better than waiver wire pick-ups?  Probably.  And you still have to pay the waiver wire guys the league minimum. 

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm gonna say it....this fanbase is way too conservative.  And I'm not talking politics.  I'm talking, like, someone does something that's slightly outta line and all of a sudden he's gotta go.

That's not the fanbase, it's the internet.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm interested in him as long as he can still get grounders at that clip.  In an environment where everyone's obsessed with launch angle and they've put helium in the baseball, I'm all about guys that can do a better than average job of keeping it on the ground.  

He's still getting 58% ground balls, which is very good. After looking a little deeper, it's all about the home runs. Bleier's FIP this year is 4.38 according to Fangraphs while his ERA is 6.3. I think his FIP may have actually gone down after last night's appearance. This suggests the infield defense is hurting him. But his HR/FB is at 17.2% this year. It was zero last year. I think 10.5 is average (?). He's always seemed like a fluke to me, but if I was GM I would offer him a contract. He's probably going to be better than most of the other options and he will still be relatively cheap.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

That being said, he didn't try to show Flores up.   If he said something, it wasn't "in your face" until Flores made an issue of it.   Flores should have let it go and talked to him later instead of blowing up like that.  

Why do we assume that he didn't show Flores up just because he didn't scream at him? He could have said something really inflammatory and showed him up without the theatrics and thus prompted the immediate response. If he mutters something like "Nice shifts, dumb-dumb", but doesn't get in anyone's face, I'd hope that any coach would address it immediately.

Not saying Flores was justified, just saying that he could be... but we don't know.

58 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Hothead coaches? If you were the manager and some punk got in your face and said FU? What would you do? Is it the coaches fault some kid can’t pitch worth a damn? Well if Davis can’t defend his base when a coach positions him in an area. 

If I see that one of my players is just coming off the field, clearly upset, I’d put myself in their shoes before overreacting. I’d also recognize that being in front of the team and cameras mandates a different approach as it further sets a bad example. I’d wait until the emotion passes and then address it appropriately. Nothing good comes of those types of reactions. As we saw when Hyde was also being a hothead and a poor leader.

What’s sad is that this behaviour doesn’t seem to be looked down upon in this clubhouse. And I’m not talking about the players here.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I miss Buck’s leadership. When this club is winning again, I hope we don’t have this nonsense any longer.

45 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think this is a very poor response. The coaches were there many years and never had an issue with the players. Part of several playoff teams. 

Not just that, but Bleier was also here last year. Did he not care last year because that team also sucked? I don’t get the impression that this team, which is abysmal, cares any more or less than last year’s team. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I’m not knocking the old coaches.   But last year’s team had no fire.   Hence, no fiery episodes.   I’m OK with this team showing a little passion, even if it spills over in a couple of relatively mild incidents.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

He's still getting 58% ground balls, which is very good. After looking a little deeper, it's all about the home runs. Bleier's FIP this year is 4.38 according to Fangraphs while his ERA is 6.3. I think his FIP may have actually gone down after last night's appearance. This suggests the infield defense is hurting him. But his HR/FB is at 17.2% this year. It was zero last year. I think 10.5 is average (?). He's always seemed like a fluke to me, but if I was GM I would offer him a contract. He's probably going to be better than most of the other options and he will still be relatively cheap.  

His line drive rate has gone from 11.5 to 18.0 to 22.5.    Looking at at his Statcast page, a few things stick out:

- Spin rate on fastball at the bottom of the scale

- Hard hit % very near the bottom of the scale

- xBA also near the bottom of the scale, but xwOBA above average.

I’m not sure how to interpret that data combo, but what I think it means is that Bleier has had a combination of bad luck on batted balls but also tends to get squared up when he makes a mistake more than some pitchers.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/richard-bleier-542947?stats=career-r-pitching-mlb

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

1.   I’m not comfortable judging Flores’ conduct based on the clips I’ve seen.   I’d need to know a lot more about who said what to whom.   

2.   I certainly wouldn’t feel competent to judge any coach.   99% of what they do is unseen by the public.   

That said, I won’t be surprised if Hyde changes out a couple of coaches.    He had to hire his staff quite late last year and so his choices were limited.    

Good take. This is where I am on all of this. From the clip it appears Flores was the aggressor, but I'm not going to start getting out the pitch forks over this event. I do think Hyde will be able to make some evaluations along with Elias on the coaching staff this offseason.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

If I see that one of my players is just coming off the field, clearly upset, I’d put myself in their shoes before overreacting. I’d also recognize that being in front of the team and cameras mandates a different approach as it further sets a bad example. I’d wait until the emotion passes and then address it appropriately. Nothing good comes of those types of reactions. As we saw when Hyde was also being a hothead and a poor leader.

What’s sad is that this behaviour doesn’t seem to be looked down upon in this clubhouse. And I’m not talking about the players here.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I miss Buck’s leadership. When this club is winning again, I hope we don’t have this nonsense any longer.

It's least you are consistent with your nonsensical stance that Hyde is a hothead and poor leader. I mean, it's ridiculous and goofy, but at least consistent.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His line drive rate has gone from 11.5 to 18.0 to 22.5.    Looking at at his Statcast page, a few things stick out:

- Spin rate on fastball at the bottom of the scale

- Hard hit % very near the bottom of the scale

- xBA also near the bottom of the scale, but xwOBA above average.

I’m not sure how to interpret that data combo, but what I think it means is that Bleier has had a combination of bad luck on batted balls but also tends to get squared up when he makes a mistake more than some pitchers.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/richard-bleier-542947?stats=career-r-pitching-mlb

Non tender candidate?

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's least you are consistent with your nonsensical stance that Hyde is a hothead and poor leader. I mean, it's ridiculous and goofy, but at least consistent.

I call it as I see it, chief. Maybe it’d be different if we were coming from awful managers like Trembley. But when we had a true leader like Buck and then going to placeholders like Hyde and Flores, well...

• Upvote 1