Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

57 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Diaz has been hurt a good portion of this year.  Even in what was supposed to be his last game at Aberdeen, he was HBP and he looked a bit uncomfortable/hurt by it.  The guy has been very injury prone and I would say that it caused him to not go 100% at Aberdeen.  During one play, Diaz could have slid and possibly broken up a double-play and perhaps even been safe at second if the defender shied away from contact on a low throw.  Instead, Diaz pulled up and veered away from 2B avoiding all potential for contact.  

The injuries have allowed our front office to slow roll promotions for Diaz and it looks likely that he will start next year in the minors perhaps with Mr. Mountcastle at AAA.  Our front office's decisions to slow roll these promotions are an early indicator to me that we are tanking next year as well - it will be another throwaway year IMO.  And perhaps in a throwaway year we carry Davis on the roster for a bit longer.  Sure, by early June we should have glimpses of Mr. Mountcastle, perhaps Diaz and a bunch of this season's AA pitchers.  I find this disappointing in that our guys may not get enough seasoning to be counted on for 2021.  

Anyway, Hays' development at the major league level is certainly a reason to look forward to next season.  He is looking pretty good in CF so far where his offense will definitely play.

Diaz never played at Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think it’s solely for Hays to catch up on at bats because the Orioles see Hays as a viable CF on opening day, if all goes well. I think they plan to start Diaz at AAA no matter what. 

P.s.  It’s my impression that some teams don’t value the Arizona fall league as much as they did a few years ago.  I haven’t followed the rosters of teams super closely, but I think fewer teams are sort of automatically sending their highest ranked prospects there. I’m sure some posters have a much better feel for that than I do, but my impression is that fewer big name prospects are there than in years past. 

Hays is playing catch-up now in real major league games. Diaz is much further behind.

In case anyone was curious about his rookie eligibility for next season,

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit.

Coming into the game tonight, Hays had 103 MLB st-bats. He managed to rack up 8 ABs tonight, so if he has more than 19 at-bats over the final 5 games, he will not be a rookie next season.

Note: this designation only matters for Rookie of the Year eligibility (and other rookie awards) and appearances on prospect lists, it doesn't have any service time implications.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In case anyone was curious about his rookie eligibility for next season,

Coming into the game tonight, Hays had 103 MLB st-bats. He managed to rack up 8 ABs tonight, so if he has more than 19 at-bats over the final 5 games, he will not be a rookie next season.

Note: this designation only matters for Rookie of the Year eligibility (and other rookie awards) and appearances on prospect lists, it doesn't have any service time implications.

I actually was.  And I thought he was further away from those numbers than he is.  

I hope he gets ROY eligibility next year and I think they'll do that for him.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Elias made it very clear yesterday that he’s not worried about wins and losses in 2020.     So yeah, nobody’s going to get pushed to the majors.    Mountcastle obviously is in a different position from players who haven’t played AAA yet or who perhaps got only a taste.    He’ll be up relatively early in 2020, but not on opening day for service time reasons that they’ll never admit.    The other guys are candidates for late season call-ups at best.   

Yesterday, Sunday? I missed that. On the broadcast? Were you at the game?

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

Yesterday, Sunday? I missed that. On the broadcast? Were you at the game?

There may have been more than this in one of the other articles:

On next year’s record: “I think we’re going to be in the strategic mode of what I said in the beginning this year, improving the overall talent level in the organization. That’s going to be priority No. 1. What comes after that is secondary. I hope that we keep kind of improving in a linear way, but that’s not always the case with these, but that’s my hope.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/elias-on-2019-season-and-looking-ahead.html