Tom Phoebus Died

OFFNY

On 9/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Curt Blefary caught his no-hitter. Only Blefary's fourth major league game as a catcher.

I remember Tom Phoebus no hitter.  He came up as a surprise prospect.  That is what I remember him for.  Another chip from my childhood goes away. I hate to hear of my childhood players passing.

A few other Phoebus facts:

- He easily led the team in IP (208) and wins (14) in 1967.

- He was 3rd on the team in IP in both 1968 (240) and 1969 (202).  He finished 3rd (15) and 4th (14) in wins those years.

- He was the winning pitcher in Game 2 of the 1970 World Series, relieving a struggling Mike Cuellar with one on and one out in the 3rd inning and the O’s trailing 4-0.    He held the Reds scoreless through the 4th, and got credited for the win when the O’s scored once in the 4th and five times in the top of the 5th to take a 6-4 lead.   He was relieved after that and the O’s held on to win 6-5, earning him the win.   It was his only postseason appearance for the O’s.

My memory is that Phoebus was a pitcher before his time.  He pitched in the era where complete games were a big measure of the pitcher.  Tom was great for 6 innings, but then he would falter.  If he pitched in this era, he would be an all-star and potential hall of famer. 

He was a darn good player that contributed to some great teams.