Tigers Win Orioles Lose

atomic

On 9/13/2019 at 4:16 PM, OFFNY said:

Good info, thanks.

I wonder what the worst winning percentage match-ups were between the years between 1901 and 1960, when they played 154-game schedules (and 130-game schedules in 1918 and 140-game schedules in 1919, due to World War I.)

So what they left out was in 1962 the Cubs and Mets played a season-ending series where the two teams combined for 230 losses prior to the first game.  So this convoluted record loses something when you realized the O's/Tigers were about 29 losses shy of the MLB record.

The other thing to consider is that when you only have eight teams and a 154-game schedule it's difficult to have two really terrible teams.  Just one 45-win team means 1/7th of the schedule (22 games) is against a .292 team.  Even a true talent .350 team would win 13 or 14 games just against that one team, pushing their overall mark to almost 60 wins.

Here's a weird fact... the 1916 A's were so terrible (36-117) that the 7th (2nd-to-last) place Senators were 76-77.  If they'd made up that one rainout seven of the eight teams in the AL could have been at .500 or better.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So what they left out was in 1962 the Cubs and Mets played a season-ending series where the two teams combined for 230 losses prior to the first game.  So this convoluted record loses something when you realized the O's/Tigers were about 29 losses shy of the MLB record.

The other thing to consider is that when you only have eight teams and a 154-game schedule it's difficult to have two really terrible teams.  Just one 45-win team means 1/7th of the schedule (22 games) is against a .292 team.  Even a true talent .350 team would win 13 or 14 games just against that one team, pushing their overall mark to almost 60 wins.

Here's a weird fact... the 1916 A's were so terrible (36-117) that the 7th (2nd-to-last) place Senators were 76-77.  If they'd made up that one rainout seven of the eight teams in the AL could have been at .500 or better.

Just think how terrible the Orioles and Tigers are that they have other teams tanking in their division and an unbalanced schedule. Plus they both have significant games in other division with 2tanking teams.   Plus the White Sox and RedSox aren’t very good this year.  

Tanking has Edwin Jacksons picture.Goes out for the Tigers every fifth day since they got hi.m and has a 9 70 ERA .I guess it is his veteran presence. Looks like no #1 for Orioles. Do the Tigers get to 48 wins? Orioles can also catch the Marlins .Slight chance at the Royals  Both have much harder schedules. 

Royalls: 7 against the Twins,3 against the A's and 2 against the Braves.

Marlins play the Diamondbacks, Nationals, Mets and Phillies. 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Tanking has Edwin Jacksons picture.Goes out for the Tigers every fifth day since they got hi.m and has a 9 70 ERA .I guess it is his veteran presence. Loojs like no #1 for Orioles. Do the Tigers get to 48 wins? Orioles can also catch the Marlins .Slight chance at the Royals  Both have much harder schedules. 

They have to change the rules on draft order.  When the Orioles were trying they regularly picked at #4.  Now you have tanking teams picking #5 overall. It will just get worse if the rules aren’t changed.  Teams will field guys who don’t belong in AA to get number 1 pick.

Just now, LocoChris said:

O’s are not catching the Tigers. They are worse than we are. 

Yeah our pitching staff has Meas, Bundy, Castro Givens, and Harvey.  Their hitters have nothing.  When you see the dregs of our bullpen puttting up zeros one after another you know they have perfected the art of tanking.

53 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Tanking has Edwin Jacksons picture.Goes out for the Tigers every fifth day since they got hi.m and has a 9 70 ERA .I guess it is his veteran presence. Looks like no #1 for Orioles. Do the Tigers get to 48 wins? Orioles can also catch the Marlins .Slight chance at the Royals  Both have much harder schedules. 

Royalls: 7 against the Twins,3 against the A's and 2 against the Braves.

Marlins play the Diamondbacks, Nationals, Mets and Phillies. 

Marlins could well lose out. 

Forget #1. The Tigers are barely trying out there. They have it wrapped up. 

I'm guessing we'll settle solidly into the 3rd slot, unless the Royals completely throw in the towel over these next couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Tanking has Edwin Jacksons picture.Goes out for the Tigers every fifth day since they got hi.m and has a 9 70 ERA .I guess it is his veteran presence.

Jackson currently has the 5th-worst ERA of all time, min 50 IP.  Roy Halladay still has that mark, but if Jackson gets another start and gives up 12 runs in 3.1 innings or less it's all his.

Or he could just allow seven earned without retiring a batter to take the crown.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

They have to change the rules on draft order.  

I don't know it would fix anything, but I thought it would be fun to have a draft for draft order.  Teams' draft position in the following year wouldn't be determined by their own won loss record, but by the record of some other team they picked to own their slot after the next season.  After the World Series the Tigers would have first pick of all the other teams, but couldn't pick themselves.  If they picked Florida and the Marlins had the 5th worst record then the Tigers pick 5th no matter how good or bad they performed.

2 hours ago, FuManchu said:

I don't know it would fix anything, but I thought it would be fun to have a draft for draft order.  Teams' draft position in the following year wouldn't be determined by their own won loss record, but by the record of some other team they picked to own their slot after the next season.  After the World Series the Tigers would have first pick of all the other teams, but couldn't pick themselves.  If they picked Florida and the Marlins had the 5th worst record then the Tigers pick 5th no matter how good or bad they performed.

The effects of Radiation on people here keep getting curiouser and curiouser.

Last week, I met two middle-aged artists visiting from Japan to exhibit in Seoul. They said they don't eat Japanese fish anymore because it might be caught on the Pacific side of Honshu, the Fukushima side.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomic said:

They have to change the rules on draft order.  When the Orioles were trying they regularly picked at #4.  Now you have tanking teams picking #5 overall. It will just get worse if the rules aren’t changed.  Teams will field guys who don’t belong in AA to get number 1 pick.

I wholeheartedly agree, but not about the draft order. I think they should make a rule requiring GMs to try real hard in December. That would fix all the problems.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1