2019 Arizona Fall League Thread

Frobby

27 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Brad Bergesen is the pitching coach for the Scottsdale Scorpions.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=berges001bra

He just turned 34 years old and joined the Phillies organization as Lakewood's (Sally League) pitching coach last year. He moved up to Clearwater's pitching coach (A+) in 2019.

Good for him.  Glad to see he’s still in the game.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:52 PM, Frobby said:

For context, the AFL has been much more of a pitcher's league this year.   The average OPS is about .705 and ERA is about 3.75.

I wonder if this is a correlation to them starting almost immediately after the MiLB season ended instead of having to ramp these guys back up.

I neglected to mention that I observed Rylan Bannon's practice swing technique as he was waiting in the on deck area. He takes several swings at a simulated waist-high pitch with the currently popular  upward launch angle and releasing his upper hand at the practice contact point (ala Charlie Lau/Walt Hriniak) and completing a full follow through with his left arm.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, AZRon said:

I attended today's game at the Peoria Sports Complex, the home field for the Surprise Saguaros who easily topped the Mesa Solar Sox 6 to 1.

The scouts there confirmed that the AFL is not using the MLB baseball. That is, the baseball is the one that was used at all levels below AAA in 2019.

The game was completed in just over 2 1/2 hours.

Two (2) different pitchers were penalized once each with a called ball for exceeding the time limit (15 seconds with the bases empty and 20 seconds with any runner on base) to start their windup motion or to come set. No batters were penalized with a strike call for exceeding the the various time limits to be in the batter's box (30 second timer between batters, batter must be in the box at the 15 second mark and ready to hit at the 5 second mark; 2 minute 15 second timer between innings, the batter must be in the box by the timer's expiration; once an at-bat commences, the batter may only exit the box after a foul ball or a way-inside pitch).

I noted that, after the "ball" penalties were called on the pitchers, the timer was not reset -- I'm assuming that this was an administrative error.

As to the Orioles' farmhands:

Rylan Bannon played the entire game at 3rd and batted 3rd in the lineup. At 5 feet, 10 inches, he is one of the significant minority of players in the AFL who is listed below 6 feet in height.

He had 2 fielding plays -- one was a parallel to the ground dive to his left (ala Brooksie) to spear a line drive on 1 hop with short-hop throw to first to nail the out; and a major league play on hard-hit bouncer to deep 3rd with a long short-hop throw to first to gain the out.

At bat, there were no whiffs and he exhibited some patience, but had only 1 hard hit ball -- a low line drive single to the left of 2nd base; he advanced a base on a wild pitch and scored from 2nd on a single to short left-field.

David Lebron pitched 1 relief inning. The smallish right-hander (listed at 6 feet, 190 pounds) worked from a windup with the bases empty and throws full overhand. He was consistently around the plate, gave up 1 hard-hit ground ball single, and retired the other 3 batters on 2 softly hit infield liners and a ground ball.

Front Page HHP

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

@AZRon thank you for the report, just a clarification, the pitches in the 70s were curveballs for both Wells and Kremer. Both guys throw their changeup in the mid 80s, they both have a less frequently used slider as well, Wells’s is in the low 80s and Kremer’s is in the mid 80s

Thanks for the corrections -- I'll have to start sitting in the sun and closer to the plate.

5 hours ago, AZRon said:

Kremer -- looked good; pitched 1 inning; basic windup, rocks from the waist; 3 pitches around the plate - fastball 91-92, breaking pitch 74, change 84; 3 up and down; struck out 2, 1 swinging and a weak fly to center.

I was really hoping Kremer's fastball would be ticking up by now. Maybe he's just at the end of a long season. I just hope next year he takes a step forward.