Madden signs with Angels for Three Years

Philip

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 4:35 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Buck got paid.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:28 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Just in case anyone didn't get it when I was talking about Buck in this thread I was referring to Buck Britton. 

Just saw this.    I assume that second post was intended to get a laugh.    

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just saw this.    I assume that second post was intended to get a laugh.    

Kinda?

I mean, if you were to ask me who was the most likely person to replace Hyde as Manager was, right now, I'd say Buck Britton.

He was the Shorebirds manager when Elias took over and did enough to get promoted to Bowie where he won manager of the year.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:16 PM, spiritof66 said:

I don't think much of Hyde as a manager. His main qualifications seems to be that he's cheap and extremely grateful to have a managing job. (I guess you could add that he survived the season without going completely bonkers.) In particularly, I don't think he did a good job with pitching changes, even after you cut him lots of slack based on the crappiness of the choices he had, and he should bear some of the responsibility for the widespread and frequent poor fundamentals (baserunning gaffes, failures to cover and back up, throws to the wrong base).

Even if he could be induced to consider managing the Orioles, I don't think Maddon is the right guy for this team. While Maddon's management and the Elias-Maddon relationship might be interesting and on occasion explosive, I doubt the Orioles would want hire Maddon just for the potential entertainment value.

I agree with this. Hyde did nothing to make me think he is the next great manager, not that anyone could have coaxed too many more wins out of this team. He gets another year to change that perception....who knows maybe he learned a lot in 2019 and improves in his sophomore year.

39 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I agree with this. Hyde did nothing to make me think he is the next great manager, not that anyone could have coaxed too many more wins out of this team. He gets another year to change that perception....who knows maybe he learned a lot in 2019 and improves in his sophomore year.

Im sure that Elias has his reasons, and I suspect next season will give us a bit more insight into his ability to manage or not

I tend to think Hyde's demeanor and maybe lack of on-camera skills makes people underrate him as a manager/coach. 

I thought he put together some interesting lineups, pitched Givens in high leverage situations rather than just the 8th or 9th, etc. Players loved playing for him but it sounds like he also knew when to get feisty. Wasn't afraid to give Chris Davis the business after he acted like a child in the dugout. Seemed to give guys proper rest. Nothing really stands out as a huge bonehead move. 

What I'm saying is, I bet there's a little more going on under the veneer of "just happy to have a job and we're here to improve". I think he's smarter than he seems. JMO. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, interloper said:

I tend to think Hyde's demeanor and maybe lack of on-camera skills makes people underrate him as a manager/coach. 

I thought he put together some interesting lineups, pitched Givens in high leverage situations rather than just the 8th or 9th, etc. Players loved playing for him but it sounds like he also knew when to get feisty. Wasn't afraid to give Chris Davis the business after he acted like a child in the dugout. Seemed to give guys proper rest. Nothing really stands out as a huge bonehead move. 

What I'm saying is, I bet there's a little more going on under the veneer of "just happy to have a job and we're here to improve". I think he's smarter than he seems. JMO. 

I agree, but in an entertainment business - that's part of the job.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, interloper said:

I thought Hyde did pretty well with the media.   If the overall goal was to give player chances he saw a lot of player in his first year.   Elias/Sig/Hyde have a lot of information to make decision with.