Projected Orioles 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP)

AZRon

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ninety win team can't draw 2M.

Negative feedback loop. Last off-season they rubbed their fanbase off with their lack of moves and $$$ saving.  Then they lose 2,000 fans a game this past year. Will lose more this year probably. They never fully recovered from blowing it up in the early 2000s. Fans left in droves then and never fully came back.

Of course part of that is Cleveland is a city in decline too.

Preaching patience does not sell tickets, saying they'll be some ugly games, 2-17 record vs Yanks does not sell tickets. There certainly other factors that have caused a decline in attendance. The stadium is no longer "unique", still great, but not enough to draw new interest (New hot dogs is not a great reason). Baltimore (as a city) has gotten some poor press in recent years. A sur-charge for purchasing tickets on game day (do they still do that??). Success of the Nationals.

A 2,000/game drop in attendance this year will lead to a season attendance of under 1,000,000. I don't know what's going on with ownership. Are the Angelos trying to lower budget to sell? Manipulate how Nats have caused their earnings to decline and they need MASN? There are certainly many here that are more knowledgeable then me on this subject, Elias and all may be analytics geniuses, but not so much in marketing IMO. Is the team slogan this year going to be "Patience is a Virtue"?

Updated the roster projection to reflect the José Iglesias signing.
See opening post

Projected 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is at $63.76M. Last year's ODP was $82.12M.

Reminder -- my rule for the ODP for the 26 Man Roster -- only players on the 40 Man Roster.

The 40 Man is full.

Davis accounts for 36% of the current ODP, Cobb 22%.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:55 AM, Scalious said:

Negative feedback loop. Last off-season they rubbed their fanbase off with their lack of moves and $$$ saving.  Then they lose 2,000 fans a game this past year. Will lose more this year probably. They never fully recovered from blowing it up in the early 2000s. Fans left in droves then and never fully came back.

Of course part of that is Cleveland is a city in decline too.

The Rays' attendance was only 1.1M despite having one of the most exciting teams in baseball last year. Oakland only had 1.5M, despite having another fun team and also being in a really affluent area. 

Miami only brought in 811,104 people last year. Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp had 327,388 people attend over just 66 games. Over a 81 game season, that's 401,760 fans. Pretty incredible.

The Giants has 3.1M in attendance and the Rockies had 3M in attendance despite not being good whatsoever.

There's a lot more to attendance numbers than the "Derrrr, winning fills seats" take. Fanbases have to be built over time and nurtured. Cities need to have the businesses that support a strong, season-ticket holder base. The wide disparity in population between large-market teams and small-market teams can't be ignored. A lot of variables that contribute to the health of a team.

3 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

The Rays' attendance was only 1.1M despite having one of the most exciting teams in baseball last year. Oakland only had 1.5M, despite having another fun team and also being in a really affluent area. 

Remember, those are the two worst stadiums in all  baseball… Probably in all baseball history…

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably not.

The Trop definitely is...at least in the modern era. Truly one of the biggest dumps...right up there with the Astrodome. And at least the Astrodome had an amusement park somewhat adjacent to the park. I still remember riding a mechanical bucking armadillo (yes you read that right) as a youngster when we visited family on Houston. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The Trop definitely is...at least in the modern era. Truly one of the biggest dumps...right up there with the Astrodome. And at least the Astrodome had an amusement park somewhat adjacent to the park. I still remember riding a mechanical bucking armadillo (yes you read that right) as a youngster when we visited family on Houston. 

I won't go to a game at the Trop but is it really worse than Cleveland Municipal Stadium?  It stayed open until 1993 so I'm calling it part of the modern era. 

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I won't go to a game at the Trop but is it really worse than Cleveland Municipal Stadium?  It stayed open until 1993 so I'm calling it part of the modern era. 

There have been some pretty lousy stadiums.     To me the worst was Candlestick Park.     So cold and windy there, even in the summer months.     Couldn’t have put it in a worse spot.