Projected Orioles 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP)

AZRon

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Remember, those are the two worst stadiums in all  baseball… Probably in all baseball history…

Marlins have a new stadium and attendance doesnt reflect that.

Tampa and Oakland wouldnt probably not see too much of an attendance increase, if you wave your magic wand and gave them new stadiums.

While on the whole, MLB is financially healthy, attendance is an issue, for 80% of the teams.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Marlins have a new stadium and attendance doesnt reflect that.

Tampa and Oakland wouldnt probably not see too much of an attendance increase, if you wave your magic wand and gave them new stadiums.

While on the whole, MLB is financially healthy, attendance is an issue, for 80% of the teams.

Not sure it is that big an issue considering the other revenue streams they have.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure it is that big an issue considering the other revenue streams they have.

these days its a perspective thingy.

People see low fan attendance metrics as reflective of how the fanbase feels about a team, and concerned that it impacts the operating budget.

But, given the cable deals and revenue sharing, that is what is paying the bills.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Remember, those are the two worst stadiums in all  baseball… Probably in all baseball history…

I think the crappy stadium excuse is a bit overstated. I saw a game at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum last year - it wasn't bad at all! Hard to believe, but there's a beautiful mountain view behind the Al Davis' seat mountain:

ASxdZpef6acscqj2Crvg4IoloVyLHUBzWJTqmYqI

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I think the crappy stadium excuse is a bit overstated. I saw a game at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum last year - it wasn't bad at all! Hard to believe, but there's a beautiful mountain view behind the Al Davis' seat mountain:

ASxdZpef6acscqj2Crvg4IoloVyLHUBzWJTqmYqI

Had fun myself when I saw the A's and the weather helps. But check out those large golf course sized spaces between the baseline and the field box seats.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, byrdz said:

Had fun myself when I saw the A's and the weather helps. But check out those large golf course sized spaces between the baseline and the field box seats.

I keep forgetting that the A’s are getting left behind in Oakland. It’s just a matter of time before Vegas gets a team. 

Updated the roster projection to reflect ODP as of 1/9/20.
See opening post

Projected 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is at $63.68M. Last year's ODP was $82.12M.

Reminder -- my rule for the ODP for the 26 Man Roster -- only players on the 40 Man Roster.

The 40 Man is now full.

Davis accounts for 36.1% of the current ODP, Cobb 22%.

•  

On 10/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, Frobby said:

I’m also surprised how some people are treating the MLBTR estimates as if they’re the gospel.    Villar’s arbitration case didn’t get any stronger just because MLBTR came out with its estimate.   He’s the same player he was last week before that estimate came out.    And he won’t get $10.4 mm.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, Frobby said:

I will predict he gets $8.8 mm.   Earned himself an extra million or so with his strong second half.   

On 10/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, weams said:

Does not seem to be even a chance of under 8.8. Not what he is worth. What he will get. If tendered. 

On 10/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, weams said:

Dierkes has been wrong before, but he is usually an industry accepted touchstone. I don't like it always, but he is.  This isn't a blog saying this.  

On 10/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, Frobby said:

Two years ago he projected $6.8 mm for Gausman.    I said that was too high.    Gausman settled at $5.6 mm.    He’s not wrong every time, and he’s usually pretty on target, but he’s wrong here, IMO.    Villar might do better than the $8.8 mm I projected, but I’ll bet my guess is significantly closer than his.    

I’m declaring victory.     Heck, even I was $600 k high.     Please remember this one the next time MLBTR comes out with an inflated estimate on one of our players.     They were 25% high on this one.    That’s awful.   

Waiting now to see how far off they were on Mancini.     A long way (proportionately), I promise you.    

• Upvote 3

Updated the roster projection to reflect ODP as of 1/10/20.
See opening post

Projected 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is at $62.5M. Last year's ODP was $82.12M.

Reminder -- my rule for the ODP for the 26 Man Roster -- only players on the 40 Man Roster.

The 40 Man is now full.

Davis accounts for 36.8% of the current ODP, Cobb 22.4%.

•  
  • Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 7:12 AM, AZRon said:

Updated the roster projection to reflect ODP as of 1/10/20.
See opening post

Projected 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is at $62.5M. Last year's ODP was $82.12M.

The 40 Man is now full.

•  

HHP Front page

On 1/8/2020 at 12:21 AM, Philip said:

Very disappointed that Drungo hasn’t chimed in about how McGlobney Park collapsed during the 1904 season killing a chipmunk and a blind umpire who couldn’t find his way out.  The McGlobney Spider Monkeys moved to the Federalist League the next season and later became the Montreal Expos. ?

On 12/16/2019 at 8:54 AM, UpstateNYfan said:

Preaching patience does not sell tickets, saying they'll be some ugly games, 2-17 record vs Yanks does not sell tickets. There certainly other factors that have caused a decline in attendance. The stadium is no longer "unique", still great, but not enough to draw new interest (New hot dogs is not a great reason). Baltimore (as a city) has gotten some poor press in recent years. A sur-charge for purchasing tickets on game day (do they still do that??). Success of the Nationals.

A 2,000/game drop in attendance this year will lead to a season attendance of under 1,000,000. I don't know what's going on with ownership. Are the Angelos trying to lower budget to sell? Manipulate how Nats have caused their earnings to decline and they need MASN? There are certainly many here that are more knowledgeable then me on this subject, Elias and all may be analytics geniuses, but not so much in marketing IMO. Is the team slogan this year going to be "Patience is a Virtue"?

Its going to be "Who are these guys?"

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Its going to be "Who are these guys?"

Somehow they found someone to do a worse "Be part of it all"  as their annual marketing. Honest. Fifty bucks. I'll tell you if the campaign stinks before you spend all of the dough on it. 

Updated the roster projection to reflect ODP as of 1/31/20.
See opening post

The 40 Man is full.

• Thanks 1

Updated the roster projection to reflect ODP as of  2/11/20.
See opening post

Projected 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is at $62.48M. Last year's ODP was $82.12M.

The 40 Man is full.

•