MiLB contraction

weams

One more thing... I've mentioned in the past that it's my opinion that the current structure of MiLB isn't based on optimizing player development or cost.  It just kind of happened.  It's been different in the past.  MLB existed for 50+ years with essentially no affiliated structure at all. Then there was a period in the 1920s-50s where some teams had three minor league affiliates and the Dodgers and Cards each had 32.

If they were to eliminate 40-some teams there would be no observable impact on the quality of players in the majors.  It would be much bigger if they changed the free agent setup to where service time didn't matter and everyone was a free agent at, say, 28. Then you'd have top prospect in the majors years earlier.

Make no mistake about it, the MLB wouldn't be proposing this if it wasn't saving money, and it wouldn't save money unless someone on the back end was losing money. Subsidies for dream leagues or other independents would likely have no guarantees over time. This would mean fewer professional teams and fewer professional players over the long run. The upshot is maybe that would be good for college baseball.  

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Those areas that lose affiliated teams would probably be used as part of the "Dream League" and/or expanded on for the Frontier/Atlantic/Can-Am League (if the last one wants to exist again.)

I'm not convinced that the Dream League would work.  It's essentially an indy league, subsidized somewhat by the majors, but without the former AAA guys and cup-of-coffee MLBers you get in the Atlantic League.  You're rooting for the equivalent of anonymous 33rd-round draft picks who could be signed by any MLB team at any time.  I guess it's the Frontier League writ slightly larger.  With no continuity year-to-year, and randomly distributed players so that the pennants are also randomly distributed.  I don't know, I think it would draw like the Florida State League.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sounds like Aberdeen would need to move up to a full-season team. Since Bowie doesn't seem to be interested in upgrading that old out o date Prince George's county Stadium, it could make some sense to move them to AA and contract Bowie.

I thought Harry Grove (Frederick) was the stadium that always drew gripes.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Make no mistake about it, the MLB wouldn't be proposing this if it wasn't saving money, and it wouldn't save money unless someone on the back end was losing money. Subsidies for dream leagues or other independents would likely have no guarantees over time. This would mean fewer professional teams and fewer professional players over the long run. The upshot is maybe that would be good for college baseball.  

It might mean higher quality NCAA baseball, but I doubt that really impacts much of anything.  A few dozen players a year will probably choose to stay in school rather than become 27th round draft picks.

The real reason behind this, I think, is that baseball can't continue to pay players $8000 a year.  So they're doing this to minimize or eliminate any impact from raises to their budgets.

Just now, Frobby said:

I thought Harry Grove (Frederick) was the stadium that always drew gripes.   

That brings up another issue.  Sorry for the 400 posts in this thread, but the article mentions the terrible quality of minor league stadiums. But who pays for new stadiums or upgrades?  It's almost always taxpayers.  If MLB was really concerned about the conditions for their precious farmhands, maybe they could foot the bill or at least contribute to the renovation of the minor league ballparks?  Oh, no, no, no...  they don't care that much.  They only care that the taxpayers of Bowie and Fredrick will pitch in $millions so they don't lose their local team.  And with the threat of 25% contraction hanging over their heads that gives local politicians that much more incentive to redirect scarce resources to ballpark upgrades.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Is 1994, really that old for a MIL park?

The Ballpark in Arlington opened in 94 and has since closed its doors for good.

On the other hand, Calvin Falwell Field, home of Lynchburg's Carolina League affiliate, was built in 1939.

1994 is not old for a ballpark, but it can feel ancient if no investment has been made in improving/maintaining the facilities.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

In addition to the effect on the town jobs and economy it’s about 1080 less baseball players. 

Seems the lawsuit from minor league players about not getting paid for spring training is doing this.  They need to pay minor league players more money and give them better nutrition and facilities.  So eliminate the players who have no chance to make it to the majors.  They want to cut draft to 25 rounds.