O’s were terrible on replay challenges in 2019

Frobby

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

One thing I could be convinced of is no replay in games where both teams have been eliminated from the playoffs.  Or maybe no replay in any game where a team is ahead by 10 or more runs.  But I'd also be good with no mid-inning pitching changes in either of those circumstances, too.

I think instead of no mid inning pitching changes in blow outs you could have the pitcher must face x number of batters.  You don't want a guy out there facing 20 batters in an inning because he is doing his best Mike Wright imitation and can't get anyone out.   Unless you think a blown arm is what you get for being so bad at baseball. 

49 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think instead of no mid inning pitching changes in blow outs you could have the pitcher must face x number of batters.  You don't want a guy out there facing 20 batters in an inning because he is doing his best Mike Wright imitation and can't get anyone out.   Unless you think a blown arm is what you get for being so bad at baseball. 

If you're already down 10 you can put Stevie Wilkerson out there.  Or just have Mike Wright throw at 60% effort.  At 60% effort any decent MLBer could throw 450 innings a year with few ill effects.

53 minutes ago, atomic said:

You are also dealing with skills of the umpires. It is just entertainment.  Why does everything have to be perfect.  There is luck involved with everything in sports.  And I am saying people reviewing get calls wrong all the time as well.  

It is just this weird mentality where people demand perfection where it doesn't exist. I have no problem if balls and strikes are called by a machine if they are called by a machine on every pitch and there isn't a delay.   The delay also ruins the excitement. If you have a close play at the plate you don't know if a run scored or not until after 5 minutes of delays. I prefer the instant knowing of the result over perfection.  

And I do have a problem with the 11 pitching changes. If there are two pitching changes in an inning I turn the game off.  It is ridiculous.  Baseball has ceased to be entertaining for a lot of games.  If they don't do something to rectify the game they won't have any fans left than a few curmudgeons who won't stop following the game to prove a point. 

I don't have any problem with a key game being decided by a bad call. It is just part of the game.  Gives you something to discuss with people. 

It's not necessarily perfection, it's more the elimination of obvious bad calls.  A lot of overturned calls are things where everyone watching on TV knows almost the instant the play happens that it's wrong.  That doesn't need anything like a five minute delay, that can and should be overturned in 30 seconds and you move on.  Baseball's challenge/review system is unnecessarily complicated.  If a guy in the booth sees it's wrong as it happens he watches one replay, buzzes the head ump, they fix it, and it's almost seamless.

One problem I do have with replay is that it can change long-established standards.  I'm having trouble coming up with a baseball example, but in soccer it's easy: offsides.  Before VAR the offensive player had to have most/all of his body offside before the linesman would call it.  With VAR I've seen goals overturned because one of a player's hands was slightly ahead of the last defender.  Never in a million years (unless the linesman screwed up) would that have been offside before VAR.  Or handballs - I need to see metrics to be sure, but it seems to me that there are more handballs, and handballs in the box resulting in PKs, since VAR.  Before if a player had his arms in a reasonable position they'd waive it off, now it seems that anything but arms tightly against the body becomes a handball, regardless of intent.  Sports need to consider the implications of being able to see things that the refs would never have considered, and rules written for that previous environment.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's not necessarily perfection, it's more the elimination of obvious bad calls.  A lot of overturned calls are things where everyone watching on TV knows almost the instant the play happens that it's wrong.  That doesn't need anything like a five minute delay, that can and should be overturned in 30 seconds and you move on.  Baseball's challenge/review system is unnecessarily complicated.  If a guy in the booth sees it's wrong as it happens he watches one replay, buzzes the head ump, they fix it, and it's almost seamless.

One problem I do have with replay is that it can change long-established standards.  I'm having trouble coming up with a baseball example, but in soccer it's easy: offsides.  Before VAR the offensive player had to have most/all of his body offside before the linesman would call it.  With VAR I've seen goals overturned because one of a player's hands was slightly ahead of the last defender.  Never in a million years (unless the linesman screwed up) would that have been offside before VAR.  Or handballs - I need to see metrics to be sure, but it seems to me that there are more handballs, and handballs in the box resulting in PKs, since VAR.  Before if a player had his arms in a reasonable position they'd waive it off, now it seems that anything but arms tightly against the body becomes a handball, regardless of intent.  Sports need to consider the implications of being able to see things that the refs would never have considered, and rules written for that previous environment.

Accidental hand balls giving a penalty kick are annoying.  I think they should have two types of penalty kicks.  One for when then guy is brought down from behind in the box and another when it is a non-scoring opportunity penalty in the box.  Have them shoot from further back.