USAToday: Boras Quotes

weams

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

And yes this is 100% true.   It's no secret that player salaries are not keeping pace with increasing revenues and it's no surprise that mega agents and the Union are going to bark about that.    They can whine all they want but meaningful change likely won't happen until the CBA expires in a couple years.

I fear that they're going to be headed towards a nasty work stoppage.  The players and the agents can keep whining but the owners are just going to be like "Well, we place a premium on younger talent.  Suck it."

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I fear that they're going to be headed towards a nasty work stoppage.  The players and the agents can keep whining but the owners are just going to be like "Well, we place a premium on younger talent.  Suck it."

The Union should pivot and concentrate on the younger members of the union, but odds are good they won't.  You could end up with a schism in the ranks of the Union.  If I'm a younger guy I'm not going to be happy if the Union goes to war for the ten year vets while I continue to get shafted.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Union should pivot and concentrate on the younger members of the union, but odds are good they won't.  You could end up with a schism in the ranks of the Union.  If I'm a younger guy I'm not going to be happy if the Union goes to war for the ten year vets while I continue to get shafted.

If I'm a younger guy, I'm still pretty stoked that I can sign a 5 year, 85 million deal that will set me up for life.  And if things don't go right for me, that's still all guaranteed.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If I'm a younger guy, I'm still pretty stoked that I can sign a 5 year, 85 million deal that will set me up for life.  And if things don't go right for me, that's still all guaranteed.  

Have any of those early extensions really bit a team?  The Kingery one looked bad for a hot second but he had a three win year in 2019.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Exactly.

Boras is pissed that teams have caught on that a player in their late 20s who are demanding a 7 or 8 year contract aren't worth it.  

System is corrupt?  Last I heard it's the same system that he's been able to benefit greatly from for the past 20+ years.  Rules haven't changed.  There's no salary cap.  

Times have changed and there's nothing he can do.  So he's whining.

Plus rebuilding teams have more less figured out slash as much payroll as you can, and don’t sign any free agents if it can be avoided. Boras is still making money maybe just not at the same growth rate as years past. 

too-bad-so-b2c36x.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have any of those early extensions really bit a team?  The Kingery one looked bad for a hot second but he had a three win year in 2019.

I'm not sure if they've really bit a team or not.  You don't hear anything about them biting a team in the way, say, a Chris Davis deal would.  Even if Kingery didn't work out, it still hasn't prohibited the Phillies from making splashes in free agency.

Boras can piss up a rope.  We've seen players still set records these past few offseasons for largest contracts signed.  He's just upset that teams aren't breaking down the doors to do it and a guy like Harper might have to wait into March.

Since the year 2000 through 2019 532 players age 20 to 29 have put up a year with 4 plus offensive WAR

Since the year 2000 through 2019 316 players age 30 to 39 have put up a year with 4 plus offensive WAR

Of the 316 over  Age 29 players here is the break down as they age:

209 were over age 30

147 were over Age 31

drops to 98 over Age 32

drops to 51 over Age 33

drops to 25 when over Age 34

The chance of having a player at age 35 and older put up a 4 plus WAR gets rather slim so why would you long term any player over a certain age?

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Well 2 or 3 WAR is still pretty good.  You're talking about true All Star talent that is 4 or above.   You won't have an entire roster of those guys.

$25 to $30 Million GOOD???  with three to four years remaining on the same dollar amount???

Just now, thezeroes said:

$25 to $30 Million GOOD???  with three to four years remaining on the same dollar amount???

Yeah I mean.  I think a cheeseburger from 5 Guys is pretty good but I think I'm on pretty sound footing if I also say I would not pay $30K for it.   Obviously I'm not in favor of overpaying for things, certainly not to that degree.

In no way am I suggesting that teams SHOULD be overpaying for guys over 35.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think like most unions there is a seniority issue as well. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Not saying I believe any of the allegations made here off-hand.  But who exactly would be responsible for 'speaking up' and getting the owner of an MLB team to relinquish control in this scenario?   I'm not sure how realistic that would be.   The other owners I guess?  Who own less than 50% of the team?

That is not how Peter Angelos operated from everything I've heard. He was not one that took much input from anyone. It would not be surprising if he was slipping a bit and Boros was able to get that deal done when no one one else thought it was a good deal.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bingo. For what it is worth I think the public would back them on this.