Who will play the most games at each O's position in 2020

wildcard

A November 24th guess.    

Few adds,   many changes from 2019

Position  -  2019,   2020,  Result

First Base  -  Davis,  Mancini,     Improvement

Second Base - Villar,  Wilkerson ( in platoon with Alberto),     Less offense, better defense

Shortstop -  Martin ,   ?   Veteran Acquisition,    ???

Third Base - Ruiz,  Ruiz

Left Field  - Smith,   Mountcastle.   Improvement

Center Field -  Wilkerson,   Hays,  Improvement

RIght Field -  Mancini,   Santander.    Better defense

Catcher -  Severino,    Sisco  (in platoon with Severino)

DH   -  Nunez ,  Nunez   

1 Starter   - Bundy,   Bundy

2 Starter  - Means,  Means

3 Starter - Cashner,  Cobb

4 Starter - Wojo,  Wojo

5 Starter -   Hess,   Akin,  ????

1 Reliever   -   Fry,   Harvey,    improvement

2 Reliever - Castro,  Castro

3 Reliever -   Givens,   Givens  (Traded in July)

4 Reliever  - Armstrong , Bleier,   if Bleier is healthy if will be an improvement

5 Reiiever - Ynoa,  Sulser,  Less inning, more effective

6 Reliever - Kline,  Carroll   ???

7 Reliever - Yacabonis ,  Scott  ???

8 Reliever -  N/A ,  New acquisition long reliever

A lot of turnover in the pen.    I think Tate and Kline begin the season as AAA and have to earn their way to the majors.

What is your guess?

So you are assuming Yacabonis and Ynoa will re-sign with the team?

I expect Mancini to play more at 1B than Davis.   I think we’ll have a new SS, either a veteran or a new rule 5 guy.    OF I think Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Catcher same as last year.    I don’t have the energy to guess our pitching staff.   

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trades could happen, free agents could be signed, players could be DFA'd...too many variables to start throwing around predictions like this.

I'll be disappointed if all of those don't happen several times. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So you are assuming Yacabonis and Ynoa will re-sign with the team?

I expect Mancini to play more at 1B than Davis.   I think we’ll have a new SS, either a veteran or a new rule 5 guy.    OF I think Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Catcher same as last year.    I don’t have the energy to guess our pitching staff.   

Guess my chart was not clear.    I listed who had the most games at each position in 2019 and then who I thought would have the most games at each position in 2020.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@wildcard I appreciate the enthusiasm but this thread is worthless this early into the offseason.  Trades could happen, free agents could be signed, players could be DFA'd...too many variables to start throwing around predictions like this.

I don't expect much this off season.   

Villar traded for prospects.

Additions:   A starting SS,   A long reliever,  A stop gap starter who fills the 5th starter spot until Akin is ready.   A Rule 5 guy that could be a reliever.   Add several minor  pitchers for depth.   

That is about all I think will happen.    

Elias has said he would be signing 6 year minor leaguers but he hasn't announced any yet.  Has he signed them and not announced them?   

For many years it has been hard to sign FA  pitchers to come to Camden Yards .   Elias' best luck has been to buy them or pick them off the waiver wire.    He is not going to spend much to get them IMO.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What else to we have to do?    Things will change but I think it fine to think about what may happen.

Oh, I agree. Nothing wrong with your post at all. I think about what changes will happen all the time. 

Right now, I guess I'm trying to pay more attention to the Rule 5 and possible free agent signings. 

Trying to go position by position, as you have, just seems like a moving target this early. But looking at your list, I think all 3 outfield positions are an upgrade, as you have them listed. I think Smith and Wilkerson will be gone, replaced by free agents. Villar traded, Martin at Norfolk for the full year. Mancini, Bundy and Givens traded before the end of spring training if not at the winter meetings. I think there will be 2-3-4 bullpen guys gone and replaced. 

But I don't think I can say for Sulser, here's what he's going to do in 2020 or even if he remains on the roster til then. I think Bleier and Tanner Scott will have much better years but I have very little to base that on. 

Why didn't we jump out and grab Jharel Cotton? I don't know but I'm confident that Elias and Sig went through that analysis long ago. And I'm confident they have a list of names they like better with good reasons why. 

For now, I'll just wait to see what happens and learn what I can from Luke's posts and the other stuff on the board. 

3 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

This team is a lot like Christmas trees...pick the best in the field, despite the flaws...beautiful when decorated. Then, the needles fall. Which players will still be holding needles come 2021?

That’s a really good metaphor...Actually, it is a simile. But it’s really good either way.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't expect much this off season.   

Villar traded for prospects.

Additions:   A starting SS,   A long reliever,  A stop gap starter who fills the 5th starter spot until Akin is ready.   A Rule 5 guy that could be a reliever.   Add several minor  pitchers for depth.   

That is about all I think will happen.    

Elias has said he would be signing 6 year minor leaguers but he hasn't announced any yet.  Has he signed them and not announced them?   

For many years it has been hard to sign FA  pitchers to come to Camden Yards .   Elias' best luck has been to buy them or pick them off the waiver wire.    He is not going to spend much to get them IMO.

I don't expect much either.  Fair point.

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@wildcard I appreciate the enthusiasm but this thread is worthless this early into the offseason.  Trades could happen, free agents could be signed, players could be DFA'd...too many variables to start throwing around predictions like this.

Yeah I’m only ready to say,

RF: Santander

Hopefully we can just do one position as of now. Haha.