So... if we DO trade Bundy, next man up is...?

Philip

So subtract Bundy and we have Cobb(hopefully) Means(sophomore slump looming)  Wojo( ummmm...) and who?

Akin looks like he’ll have a chance to make the team. Lowther? Wells?

We need 7 starters and we have three “maybes”

I understand that most of this will shake out during spring training, that Bundy isn’t traded yet, And we have pots of money to spend on free agents( pause for audience laughter)

No, but seriously folks… Who would you slot in at 3,4,5 and 6?

A factor would be do we use an opener on a regular basis?

I tend to think there'll be 3 pitchers on the opening day roster (believing Bundy is traded) that  aren't with the O's today and 1 or 2 will start/open until Akin is up.

2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

A factor would be do we use an opener on a regular basis?

I tend to think there'll be 3 pitchers on the opening day roster (believing Bundy is traded) that  aren't with the O's today and 1 or 2 will start/open until Akin is up.

I firmly believe they will get some more guys off the scrap heap.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I'd select Jordan Sheffield in RD 1 and Zach Brown in round 2, and then they can take the long shot 20 year old Dominican from the Sally league with their 3rd selection.

Take a look at Luke's comments in the Rule 5 thread if you haven't already. Sheffield loses the strike zone and Zach Brown has little, if any upside.

There are 2 guys in the Nats system I like based on Luke's comments.

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I firmly believe they will get some more guys off the scrap heap.

I agree, but I can’t imagine getting 3 of five guys off the waiver/Milb pile? Maybe one, maybe an injured vet or some guy who wants to return from Korea( another Mike Mikolas would be great) but 3 guys?

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'd select Jordan Sheffield in RD 1 and Zach Brown in round 2, and then they can take the long shot 20 year old Dominican from the Sally league with their 3rd selection.

Sheffield is getting a lot of frowns from our guys here. I don’t think he’s a possibility.

I’m not saying Sheffield isn’t a possibility, the stuff is tantalizing and he checks a lot of the boxes analytically minded teams look for.

BUT, if you think Tanner Scott has strikethrowing issues, Sheffield is much worse. Also Sheffield will not have his best pitch for long stretches. So if you are a team and see something you can fix, go for it, otherwise it’s pretty rough.

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

Lowther and Baumann are further ahead, and Wells too, I think. Wouldn’t they be closer?

They are more highly ranked, although I have Kremer over Lowther personally. But Kremer and Zimmermann already have pitched in AAA and Zimmermann is probably the closest to a finished product (that product isn’t great, but useful IMO) of any of the pitchers in the minors.

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They are more highly ranked, although I have Kremer over Lowther personally. But Kremer and Zimmermann already have pitched in AAA and Zimmermann is probably the closest to a finished product (that product isn’t great, but useful IMO) of any of the pitchers in the minors.

Any chance they line Harvey up for the rotation?