Do you approve of the Villar for Easton trade?

Frobby

Do you approve of the Villar trade?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the Villar trade?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/19 at 21:20

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So you believe they would've released him in spring training?

That is what the poster I responded to was saying. If a trade could not be consummated after tender, he could be released during the spring as he would not spend the season with the Orioles. I said that move would cost 1.7.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So you believe they would've released him in spring training?

Knowing what we know now...yes. They were never going to carry his salary or anyone else making over a certain amount this season. 

It's not a question of whether a player is worth their salary or not. They are in shed money at all cost mode right now. 

I only hope that they are priming up to sell the team. I know that is a pipe dream but I can at least hope.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still contend it was poor process to trade for international slot money without the intent to use it.  The return the O's received on the slot money was lacking.

I think DD was operating under his assumption that he could spend the salary money saved on International slots so he could go all in on the Mesa brothers or the pitcher. IMO the Bros Angelos led him to that assumption so DD would move as much money off the books as possible. For a short time it looked like DD had won the power struggle with Buck. Then when DD wanted to proceed he got let go as well and Brady and the Bros went to see the Mesas and low balled to look like they were trying. All they succeeded in doing was to drive the price up for Miami which is good, as the Mesa's don't look like hot prospects today.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, weams said:

That is what the poster I responded to was saying. If a trade could not be consummated after tender, he could be released during the spring as he would not spend the season with the Orioles. I said that move would cost 1.7.

25 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Knowing what we know now...yes. They were never going to carry his salary or anyone else making over a certain amount this season. 

It's not a question of whether a player is worth their salary or not. They are in shed money at all cost mode right now. 

I only hope that they are priming up to sell the team. I know that is a pipe dream but I can at least hope.

I hear you both ... but if and it’s a big if they tendered him a contract I don’t see anyway they would’ve released him. 

At that point you trade him as soon as somebody has a need. 

As a fan. Of course I don't approve. It's not my money and the industry ONLY exists to entertain people and provide jobs. Don''t think this actually helped build a better Orioles future (Unless i was sure this money was absolutely needed to buy some advanced scouting tech)

That is crux, though. It's not my money. I understand why they what they did. You can have empathy/understanding without approval.

16 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

If they had tendered him they wouldn’t have released him before ST in my opinion 

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If they had tendered him they wouldn’t have released him before ST in my opinion 

That is not the point the poster was making. He said it was a simple solution. I said it cost 1.7.  The were never letting him play another game as an Oriole. In Spring or otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

That is not the point the poster was making. He said it was a simple solution. I said it cost 1.7.  The were never letting him play another game as an Oriole. In Spring or otherwise. 

Exactly. I've stated my humble opinion but I've come to realize that he was gone no matter what. Getting anything, even a guy that will most likely never be heard from again is the consolation prize.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Exactly. I've stated my humble opinion but I've come to realize that he was gone no matter what. Getting anything, even a guy that will most likely never be heard from again is the consolation prize.

It's not much of a prize. But I believe that when you do a remodel, changing out the plumbing and wiring is necessary as well.  Not just cosmetics. Get it deep down where it hurts. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

It's not much of a prize. But I believe that when you do a remodel, changing out the plumbing and wiring is necessary as well.  Not just cosmetics. Get it deep down where it hurts. 

It hurts for sure. I'm not getting any younger.

Looking at the team realistically I think they are still 4-5 years away. I think it's going to get even harder along the way.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It hurts for sure. I'm not getting any younger.

Looking at the team realistically I think they are still 4-5 years away. I think it's going to get even harder along the way.

Elias needs to move more quickly than that.  I don't see how he can go five seasons in charge without being competitive for a playoff spot.

Frankly he shouldn't.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias needs to move more quickly than that.  I don't see how he can go five seasons in charge without being competitive for a playoff spot.

Frankly he shouldn't.

Do you think he's not moving quickly enough?