Rule 5: Brandon Bailey - RHP -Astros

baltfan

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wouldn't expect a magical fix with Bailey.  I think we took him because we're familiar with him, and because he can have multiple inning outings.  We might not have traditional starters and relievers this year.  We might have a bunch of guys that pitch 80-100 innings, other than Means.  

I’m perfectly happy if he can replace Gabriel Ynoa and shave a run or so off Ynoa’s 5.61 ERA.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m perfectly happy if he can replace Gabriel Ynoa and shave a run or so off Ynoa’s 5.61 ERA.   

I agree with this. There should be 3-4-5 guys where you can compare '19 to '20 and shave a run or more.

I watched Ty Blach in college. I like Ty. But it shouldn't be a big challenge to improve on the innings he threw.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Ok so what I visualize is the hitter sees the ball and thinks,”straight fastball” and expects a particular arc( horizontal path affected by gravity) and swings where he expects the ball to be at a given time.

A well spun backspin, that is, spinning back forwards the pitcher, will fall less( which is called the “rise”which isn’t rise so much as “less fall”)so the hitter will swing under the ball.

its like shooting skeet, and the skeet traverses a flatter arc, falls less, and the shooter misses under the skeet, which flies away and marries another skeet and has lots of baby skeets. Right?

You were speaking of a perfect back spin of 12 o’clock, but most backspins are slightly off 12. Does that create horizontal movement on the ball?

im pretty sure I understand it now( It really helps to understand something when you can put it in your own words and use your own metaphors which is what I was just trying to do.)

However, isn’t the danger that the hitter could adjust to the new arc, and aim for the new arrival point? Which means he might strike out the first at bat but adjust for the second at bat, right? 

Do pitchers have differing spin rates? Can a guy say,”This time I’m going for maximum spin, maximum “Rise.” Next pitch will the same pitch but with 50% rise so that even if he adjusts to the first location, he’s going to miss the second time.”

or is spin either on or off?

hitting is hard.

When your scouting report says high spin and you think you are adjusting for it. You still will probably be off from all those reps/exp hitting normal spin. Theory=/=practice.

Hypothesis: Would there be a diminishing return on spin rate effectiveness between starters and RP? Meaning it's something that is a positive for everyone, but focus more on finding quality RP.  I remember Corbin Burns being a spin rate darling in April and getting absolutly pummeled when they gave him a chance to start (Though he sucked even AAA last year). This is anecdotal though. Be interested in empercial evidence about this.

Difference is Burnes was basically a 2 pitch pitcher. He had no way to disguise his offerings with sequencing.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

To me Bailey looks like a opener.    Going 3 innings a start.

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think we’re going to have consistent defined roles with our pitching staff for a long time. Probably mid 2021 if the young guys can form a rotation. 

If a pitcher was used purely as an opener in the manner wildcard suggests, every fifth day, he’d throw 96 IP.     Ynoa, used as he was, threw 110.2, including 13 starts of 64.1 innings.   I would need to think about the efficacy of planning 3 inning starts.   It depends a little on what’s happening the other days.   

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If a pitcher was used purely as an opener in the manner wildcard suggests, every fifth day, he’d throw 96 IP.     Ynoa, used as he was, threw 110.2, including 13 starts of 64.1 innings.   I would need to think about the efficacy of planning 3 inning starts.   It depends a little on what’s happening the other days.   

Your logic is sound. I’m just looking at a pitching staff right now that is wide open. It looks like we’re going to be in scramble mode to just cover innings. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think what Elias will be looking for the rest of the off season and  even as the season begins are pitchers that he can acquire that offer length.    Either as starters, long relievers  or as guys that follow an opener.     On either major league or minor league contracts.

• Upvote 1