Year One Survivors of the Rebuild

ScGO's

21 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Great write-up!

I do not understand this organization's fascination with Dwight Smith Jr. We have a crowded outfield and he's, what, replacement level at best and not getting any younger? Every time they take someone off the 40-man, I'm surprised it isn't him

His bat isn't terrible.  Statcast shows positive marks.  If given 500 ABs, he could potentially hit 20-25 HRs and hit .275 or so.  But I don't think he'll get that chance because he is such a liability in the OF and he doesn't show much OBP skills.

Enjoyed the post.  Thanks

Some comment that are not reflected in the OP.

2. Nunez - When Diaz is ready for the majors, whether that is this coming season or next the O's have a decision to make.   Diaz is projected to get regular  playing time in right which move Mancni and/or Mountcastle out of the outfield and into the 1B/DH slots.  Then the O's will need to make a decision on Nunez, Mancini or Mountcastle.

3.  Ruiz - Good enough to be an average defensive  3B but does not hit lefties.  That make him a platoon candidate.

4. Martin - According to Elias he wants to acquire a veteran SS. 

10.  Armstrong - His poor beginning to the season while with Seattle has little to do with his overall evaluation and future with the O's.   He has a 5.13 ERA and a 1.546 WHIP while with the O's.   He gave up more hits than inning pitched and walked  to many.    His ability to strike out batter is his major plus.     I have him on the roster bubble but I have not idea whether Elias believes he as a future with the O's.

13.  Smith - IMO the only thing keeping his on the roster is Mountcastle beginning the season at AAA and Stewart not being ready to start the season due to injury.

14. Hess - As of now Hess is a candidate for the rotation.  Hopefully Elias is able to bring in enough starting talent to move him to the pen in either the majors or minors.

While Alberto as over 3 year of service time somehow it seems he should be on this list..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

How quickly we can contend again relies most on this group of players "getting it" and becoming regular contributors.

I don't believe this to be true. For the most part, this group represents what Elias was stuck with when he got here. The more players on this list who are still here in three or four years, the worse we will be.

I think how quickly we contend relies most on those players who are in the system but haven't reached the majors yet, plus prospects and players still to be acquired through the draft, trade and (eventually) free agency.

• Upvote 1

I think it will be interesting to see who was able to make improvements over the winter.  Our development team had a whole season to watch these guys and evaluate them.     I’m sure a lot of them were given guidance on what to work on over the winter.    For many nothing much will change, but for a couple of guys, perhaps it will.    

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't believe this to be true. For the most part, this group represents what Elias was stuck with when he got here. The more players on this list who are still here in three or four years, the worse we will be.

I think how quickly we contend relies most on those players who are in the system but haven't reached the majors yet, plus prospects and players still to be acquired through the draft, trade and (eventually) free agency.

I agree with most of this, but there's also a question as to how much value can be gotten out of the guys on this list, whether that value is realized via trade or sticking around when the Orioles are a much better team. (For those purposes, I would add Alberto to the list.)

Who on this list might in a couple of years hold down a job in MLB other than filling a roster spot on a real bad team? Means and Santander have a good chance, IMO. The rest seem unlikely, but you never know. I never know, anyhow.

I thought Ruiz was an absolute steal when we picked him up and I am eager to see the incremental improvement to make him an average everyday major league 3B with the potential for more.  

Santander looks poised to be an above average producer.

Really interested in the performances of Martin, Means and a couple of others on this list.

33 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree with most of this, but there's also a question as to how much value can be gotten out of the guys on this list, whether that value is realized via trade or sticking around when the Orioles are a much better team. (For those purposes, I would add Alberto to the list.)

Who on this list might in a couple of years hold down a job in MLB other than filling a roster spot on a real bad team? Means and Santander have a good chance, IMO. The rest seem unlikely, but you never know. I never know, anyhow.

I agree with adding Alberto to the list, and that some of these players can have value either with the team or as trade chips. I just don't agree that the future values of the players listed are most important to the team's future. 

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I agree with adding Alberto to the list, and that some of these players can have value either with the team or as trade chips. I just don't agree that the future values of the players listed are most important to the team's future. 

I probably worded that part wrong.  I don't believe those players will determine if we are competitive.  I believe in the plan in place and that we will ultimately be competitive in the future because of the crop of players Elias brings in and develops.  I meant that if these current players can perform, we could be competitive by 2021 or 2022, essentially a year earlier than expected.  I believe our prospects will be developed and arrive, but we could see a winning team sooner if some of the guys on this list can already be provide value and be performing well when our next wave of youth arrives..

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I probably worded that part wrong.  I don't believe those players will determine if we are competitive.  I believe in the plan in place and that we will ultimately be competitive in the future because of the crop of players Elias brings in and develops.  I meant that if these current players can perform, we could be competitive by 2021 or 2022, essentially a year earlier than expected.  I believe our prospects will be developed and arrive, but we could see a winning team sooner if some of the guys on this list can already be provide value and be performing well when our next wave of youth arrives..

Thanks for the explanation. This makes more sense now.