What Do the Orioles See in Shawn Armstrong?

mdbdotcom

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Harvey, Givens and probably Castro are ahead of Armstrong IMO.    Armstrong tried a failed last year.  I want to see Sulser get a chance.

I just don't know if I agree with that. On paper, yeah, the overall numbers aren't very good. But he was working out of a hole where he gave up 6 runs in 3.2 innings as a Mariner. And then, as I noted earlier, he had a 1.50 ERA over his next 17 games before his dud against Oakland. 

I also factor in that he pitched the most ML innings of his career - 58 - when his previous high was 24. 

I think he improved when he came over, but then kind of just couldn't keep it rolling. Whether that's fatigue or guys adjusting to him, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't say he failed outright. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just don't know if I agree with that. On paper, yeah, the overall numbers aren't very good. But he was working out of a hole where he gave up 6 runs in 3.2 innings as a Mariner. And then, as I noted earlier, he had a 1.50 ERA over his next 17 games before his dud against Oakland. 

I also factor in that he pitched the most ML innings of his career - 58 - when his previous high was 24. 

I think he improved when he came over, but then kind of just couldn't keep it rolling. Whether that's fatigue or guys adjusting to him, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't say he failed outright. 

Forget what he did with the Mariners.  He had a 5.13 ERA and a 1.546 WHIP with the O's.  That tis pretty much failure for a reliever IMO.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Forget what he did with the Mariners.  He had a 5.13 ERA and a 1.546 WHIP with the O's.  That tis pretty much failure for a reliever IMO.

I'm not going to say you're wrong about that. I just think he hit a wall and I want to see more. I don't think the chances are likely he'll improve a whole lot, but he strung together 18 excellent innings which is more than can be said for a lot of our relievers last year.

Also, 4.28 FIP.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

LOL.  He is our 3rd best reliever with those stats.  Behind Givens and Castro.  I think you guys are living in some sort of alternative reality.  He was one of the few guys who could have a streak of good outings. Most of our relievers last year would self destruct every time they reached the mound. 

Did you guys even follow the team last year.  There was no lead big enough that our bullpen couldn’t blow.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, atomic said:

LOL.  He is our 3rd best reliever with those stats.  Behind Givens and Castro.  I think you guys are living in some sort of alternative reality.  He was one of the few guys who could have a streak of good outings. Most of our relievers last year would self destruct every time they reached the mound. 

Did you guys even follow the team last year.  There was no lead big enough that our bullpen couldn’t blow.

I will take Harvey, Bleier, Givens, Castro,   Sulser,  Kohl Stewart as a long reliever/bulk guy, Rucker and a 2nd lefty (Scott, Fry or Hunter Cervenka) over Armstrong.  On top of having a bad year last year he is 29 and has not established  himself in the majors.  And he is out of options.

Let's see how he does in ST.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:23 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Armstrong is ahead of all the other RH 1IP relievers right now on the 40 man. Guys like Phillips, Carroll, and Sulser. 

I don’t know much about Sulser, but the other two guys you mentioned are nothing to write home about, so it doesn’t surprise me a bit that Armstrong, who has some genuine success in his pocket, would be ranked ahead of them.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t know much about Sulser, but the other two guys you mentioned are nothing to write home about, so it doesn’t surprise me a bit that Armstrong, who has some genuine success in his pocket, would be ranked ahead of them.

Neil Armstrong has had some genuine success.   Lance Armstrong has had some success that turned out to be not all genuine.  Please tell me what genuine success that Shawn Armstrong has had.

3 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Cody Carrol may be this years John Means.  He is coming off an injury shortened campaign.

I dunno about the John Means comp, but Cody is my sleeper relief pick for camp. Kind of forgotten guy but he's got a good arm. We'll see if he's truly healthy. If so, he could be solid.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno about the John Means comp, but Cody is my sleeper relief pick for camp. Kind of forgotten guy but he's got a good arm. We'll see if he's truly healthy. If so, he could be solid.

Other than having an innings limit, I think Sixth Starter/Long reliever is in the cards for Cody.  If we go to an opener, he would be my candidate as the guy out of the bullpen.