MLB Officially Announces Rule Changes

SteveA

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

So designating a guy a 2 way player (like Ohtani) has positive and negative aspects:

Positive:  You can get around the 13 pitcher limit by having 13 pitchers plus one or more 2-way players.

Negative:  A player designated a 2 way player stays that way all season and if he ever goes on the DL (or is optioned), the minimum stay is 15 days rather than 10.

Seems like we should designate Davis as a two-way player.  No downside if we have to keep him on the IL 5 more days.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dr Dave said:

Here's an interesting variation on that ... Suppose it is a N.L. game - said pitcher comes in and retires the last batter.  The pitcher happens to be the leadoff hitter in the next inning.  Even though he only faced one batter, would you want to legislate away his manager's option to pinch-hit for him?

I would think that once the side has been retired, that should complete the pitcher's obligation for batters faced.

That's the rule: three batters or the end of the inning.

20 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I  have  always  heard  that  there are  only 2  things for certain  in  life,   Death  and  Taxes.  I am adding  another.   MLB continuing to screw  up  the great   game  of Baseball.

Much better to have baseball evolve in unexpected, counter-productive, uncontrolled, and fan-unfriendly ways rather than change anything or try something new.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Much better to have baseball evolve in unexpected, counter-productive, uncontrolled, and fan-unfriendly ways rather than change anything or try something new.

Agreed here. While there can be debate about the three batter rule, I hardly think that it falls to the category of ruining baseball.

4 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Michael Lorenzen comes close. He batted in 28 games last season and pitched in 73. I know there's a few potential two-way players in the minors right now too.

Good choice, and as since he has started games in the OF, and can also play SS. He sounds like a pitcher that is also a utility bench player.

10 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

Agreed here. While there can be debate about the three batter rule, I hardly think that it falls to the category of ruining baseball.

The idea that having a pitcher face at least three batters will ruin baseball is itself a symptom of what ails baseball.  Adding a rule that wasn't in place in 1906 is totally catastrophic, but if we go from 1.2 pitchers a game to eight with no rules changes that's brilliant. What?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nice try, but 2 games at DH doesnt one a 2 way player.

Maybe a Pitcher that can hit?

Look below the surface. He played quite a bit at first base in the minors when he wasn't pitching.  But he only OPS'd .697. Not nearly enough to be a real first baseman, but maybe useful to pinch hit for the pitcher or a poor-hitting shortstop or catcher once in a while.