Predictions

mweb

I really don't know, but that has nothing to do with this year.

Ohio State played in a weak, weak conference this year and ended up with 2 losses.

They played only 2 teams that are good at all, and laid an egg both times. Ohio State does not belong with college football's elite.

By this logic Alabama only played 1 team that was good all year and they lost. If you don't consider Michigan St. to be good then it's tough to say that Georgia is. SEC was way down this year. Auburn, Tennessee and LSU were awful. Georgia wasn't very good either.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are forgetting what drives the current system. The anwser is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If a team has a history of high T.V. ratings and can fill the seats that's who goes to a BCS bowl. Ohio State does that. If Norte Dame was 9-2 you can bet the house that they would go.

Good point in the context of the BCS. However, there is a boatload of money being left on the table by going with the terrible BCS system instead of a playoff. If money was the primary motivator we would have had a playoff by now.

Good point in the context of the BCS. However, there is a boatload of money being left on the table by going with the terrible BCS system instead of a playoff. If money was the primary motivator we would have had a playoff by now.

Yes you would think a playoff would bring more money. On the other hand you might not get the match up you want to get the highest ratings. If Baseball was like the BCS you would have Boston and New York every year in the ALCS. Oklahoma vs Florida is worth more money than Texas vs Florida thus Texas is out Oklahoma is in. Plus a Texas vs Ohio State would makes lots of money. You might get that match up in a playoff system. So It's about money and control.

Yes you would think a playoff would bring more money. On the other hand you might not get the match up you want to get the highest ratings. If Baseball was like the BCS you would have Boston and New York every year in the ALCS. Oklahoma vs Florida is worth more money than Texas vs Florida thus Texas is out Oklahoma is in. Plus a Texas vs Ohio State would makes lots of money. You might get that match up in a playoff system. So It's about money and control.

You had me right up until that statement. I fail to see how Oklahoma/Florida brings in more money (ratings) than Texas/Florida. Both Texas and Oklahoma are traditional powerhouse programs, and both will fill the stadium with fans that travel. But if you're speaking about each school's traditional fan base (e.g. the TV markets they pull in) then Texas is worth far more money than Oklahoma.

Plain and simple, it came down to Oklahoma winning the beauty contest. They had two huge victories over Top 25 teams late in the season. Meanwhile Texas' schedule ended with wins over mediocre opponents, while their convincing win over Oklahoma on Oct 11 was all but forgotten.

You had me right up until that statement. I fail to see how Oklahoma/Florida brings in more money (ratings) than Texas/Florida. Both Texas and Oklahoma are traditional powerhouse programs' date=' and both will fill the stadium with fans that travel. But if you're speaking about each school's traditional fan base (e.g. the TV markets they pull in) then Texas is worth far more money than Oklahoma.

Plain and simple, it came down to Oklahoma winning the beauty contest. They had two huge victories over Top 25 teams late in the season. Meanwhile Texas' schedule ended with wins over mediocre opponents, while their convincing win over Oklahoma on Oct 11 was all but forgotten.[/quote']

I'm sorry, What I was trying to say is Oklahoma puts big points on the board. People want to see lots of points scored in this game. OK does that better than Texas.

I'm sorry, What I was trying to say is Oklahoma puts big points on the board. People want to see lots of points scored in this game. OK does that better than Texas.

I see what you're saying.....the whole cliche about "offense sells tickets." But I still believe that Texas/Florida would have attracted as many casual/non-partisan viewers nationwide as Oklahoma/Florida will. And when you factor in the huge TV numbers that Texas would bring from their home TV markets, compared to the smaller TV markets in Oklahoma, Texas is still the better choice for TV ratings.

That said, the participating school's in the BCS games will get the same money whether it's Oklahoma, Texas or Boise St....the payout is predetermined and constant through Jan 2014, regardless of viewership. It's the networks who will sweat over the ratings. And I'm willing to bet that if you asked the execs at Fox, each of them from Rupert Murdoch on down, would have chosen Texas over Oklahoma.

Archived