What are you excited to see/hear about in O's ST?

wildcard

Here is a few I am excited to see/hear about.

The outfield defense of Santander, Hays and Diaz.

Starters Kremer, Akin, Lowther and  (yes, Baumann who I think comes over from the minor league camp)

The lineup of  Hays, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander and Nunez.

Iglesias' defense

Harvey's healthy electric arm.

• Upvote 1

Hays, Diaz,  Mountcastle.   Harvey maybe.  Rutschman.

Hard for me to get excited about any of the other pitchers at the moment, although I suppose I'm curious to see if Cobb is able to make it through a whole spring training healthy AND not be too upset about the height of the seams on the balls.

I’m going to go slightly (way?) off the board here: Besides the obvious/usual guys, I’ll have a keen eye on Herrera these next few weeks. He’s a one-time T50 prospect, still somewhat young and had a decent season with some pop in AAA last year. Could be a very dark horse to grab the 2B job.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

From your list I can count Iglesias in the field as someone I’ve seen quite a bit.  He was born to field grounders and looks like he practices defense everyday at a high level and pace.  If infield defense is something you prioritize, the shortstop position is locked down.  

It is for me. I would prefer to have my catcher and SS have plus defender skills and weak bat, then plus bat, and weak with the glove.

Of course, Ideally having both is fab and hard to come by.

1 hour ago, Win Column said:

I’m going to go slightly (way?) off the board here: Besides the obvious/usual guys, I’ll have a keen eye on Herrera these next few weeks. He’s a one-time T50 prospect, still somewhat young and had a decent season with some pop in AAA last year. Could be a very dark horse to grab the 2B job.

I understand that he might challenge for 2B.  But I don't see the point in playing a guy the is 5'10" at 1B when Davis, Mancini and Mountcastle all can play there.   Seems like they would lose a lot of reach.  His numbers at SS and 3B don't make him look very versatile.

My short answer is, everything and nothing.   I just eat up every positive quote, every positive report about how some player looks in camp, and every positive statistic and performance in the spring trading games.    I love it, every last bit of it.   And yet, I know it means very little.   Most players will make the team, or not make it, regardless of how they do in spring training.   And as often as not, player performance during the season, whether in the majors or the minors, will bear very little relationship to how they performed or looked in spring training.

So mostly, I’m just looking forward to having some games to watch, some box scores to read, and some reports and quotes to enjoy, rather than the cold vacuum of winter.   

All that said, what I really enjoy is seeing the few televised games and getting looks at players I’ve never seen or have only seen in previous Springs.    So, I’m most looking forward to getting some looks at Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells, Zimmermann, Mountcastle, Diaz, McKenna and the like.    And the Rule 5 guys.   

• Upvote 2

I'm excited that the Orioles will be playing something that resembles baseball in a few days, and that five weeks from tomorrow (I think that's right) there will be real baseball, with the O's tied for first.

While I look forward to seeing some fresh talent that might be part of a competitive team some day, I try not to get too excited about any of them, the result of decades of seeing hyped guys not having the great careers they were destined for. I'll have to make a chronological list some day .  .  . it probably would start with Sam Bowens.