Maryland at Ohio State

ArtVanDelay

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Give some credit to Ohio state though, they played well, hit their free throws, and were the better team today.  Games like this remind me not to get too excited over the Terps this year. Too much parity in college basketball and MD will always be an up and down bi polar team. You might get the Terps that can win the National Championship or you may get the team that beats a team with a sub-.500 record by one point. 

I have a hard time swallowing the idea that they were the better team today.  They won by 7, at home, in a game where our conference POY candidate PG fouled out with 5 minutes to go on a BS technical where he got hammered in the restricted zone, multiple players on the Terps were in foul trouble because of consensus-bad calls, and they shot a bajillion free throws because of said bad foul calls.  Ohio State played well, and they're a good team, but so did the Terps, and it just doesn't feel like the better team won.  Maybe the Buckeyes would have still won with neutral officiating, but at worst it would have been 50/50 IMO.

I really hate complaining about refs but why is it we're never on the right side of the ref bias? It's either neutral or against us. Ohio St is playing well and did enough to win but man the refs really handed them the game. Got flashbacks to those Duke games where the refs essentially would hand them a 10 point lead and you had to play a perfect game just for the chance to win.

4 minutes ago, Finisher said:

I really hate complaining about refs but why is it we're never on the right side of the ref bias? It's either neutral or against us. Ohio St is playing well and did enough to win but man the refs really handed them the game. Got flashbacks to those Duke games where the refs essentially would hand them a 10 point lead and you had to play a perfect game just for the chance to win.

I think it's harder for fans to evaluate fouls because they just instinctively won't see fouls that are going their way.  As I've gotten older I've generally let occasional ref transgressions go if possible, and most of my complaints in the past few years have been with the refs' areas of emphasis; they tend to let a ton of contact go in the paint without blowing the whistle, and then call ticky-tack fouls elsewhere.  But this isn't a bias issue, it's a general style and emphasis issue.  There aren't too many games where it literally feels the refs stole the game, like this game.

I think a reasonable benchmark is: if you think it's a little against you, it's probably fair.  If you think it's even, it's probably biased in your favor.  If you think it's very against you, it's probably a little against you.

If the announcers think it's against you, then it's probably very against you.

I think it is a pretty harmless loss all things considered.  I didn't see us winning out.  I felt like if we could head to the Big 10 tournament at 3-2 in the last 5 games, that was fine.  Very hard to beat a team three times in a season, so I like our chances against them if we meet in the tournament.  I definitely don't see Wisconsin or Penn State beating us on a neutral floor.  

What we can't do is lose to Minnesota.    

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

I think it's harder for fans to evaluate fouls because they just instinctively won't see fouls that are going their way.

There aren't too many games where it literally feels the refs stole the game, like this game.

Yeah, agree with your second point, it's not a huge deal. And agree it's probably mainly a style of play issue.

But with regard to your first point, back when we were in the ACC it felt like things were way more balanced (other than blatant ref bias in Duke games, and maybe UNC games). There were actually games back in the day where it felt like we'd get favoritism against the bottom feeders. Even our current out of conference games, you might see an extra call or two go our way. Simply doesn't happen in conference games. Guess it's the big ten style of play and the fact Turgeon rarely has had big inside bangers (other than Fernando). I do wonder how much of it is the intangible of how well the coach works the refs.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats still a lock. and they are not on the bubble, depending on what they or others need do.

Considering recent history and delegated to the NIT bracket, if that.

If we lose out and are one-and-done in the B1G tourney, we're at worst a 5-6 seed IMO.  So I don't think it's particularly newsworthy for ESPN to proclaim that we're still a lock.  We were a lock before the OSU game and, by definition, "lock" means we have no chance of missing the tourney.  A team with 6 q1 wins is a lock no matter what IMO, and we won't have any bad losses even if we lose out.

BTW Turgeon was pretty pissed about the officiating as well.  He was measured in his criticism but reading between the lines I'm pretty sure he was absolutely livid.  He knows as well as anyone that if Cowan stays in the game, and/or if Wesson isn't allowed to commit 9 fouls in the game, the Terps probably win.

35 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

So Duke gets obliterated by mediocre NC State and drops 1 spot in the AP Poll. 

We lose a close game on the road to the #12 team in Kenpom, and drop 2 spots in the AP Poll.

Everyone, including pollsters, are just waiting for Turgeon to fail.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, Hallas said:

Everyone, including pollsters, are just waiting for Turgeon to fail.

Rightly so. He's an overrated recruiter and poor in game coach and he doesn't game plane very well. He has no instincts on how to break the other team's momentum and his teams are typically poor road teams.

What do you think this team looks like next year with Stix and Cowan gone? They are going to be pretty bad though they will have a decent record since Turgeon always packs his out of conference games with creme puffs.