38% of the O's team could be over 30

wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

However, Elias has sent a 25  and 26 year old packing.   That would seem to mean he cares about how competitive the 2020 team will be.

I don't agree. It says he thinks there are better options on the 40-man roster and in their system that could be useful by 2022. The placeholders Elias has brought in effectively shield pitchers they think will be part of the future from taking on a workload that could be detrimental to that future. If Elias didn't think the two Rule 5 picks were part of the future, then it made no sense to keep them when they were probably not ready for the majors this year. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

However, Elias has sent a 25  and 26 year old packing.   That would seem to mean he cares about how competitive the 2020 team will be.

I think it's just all about giving the prospects their development time. He can do that easier with a few cheap veteran guys than he can with Rule 5s. He's trading a bit of farm system boost (a gamble anyway) for a bit of security at the ML level in order to have flexibility and give guys like Akin more time. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're not sorry.

Nope, not one bit. 

So Givens turns 30 on May 13th. How 'bout we make the Orioles t-shirt giveaway (planned for the 12th) a cartoon of Givens walking with a cane, wearing high black socks, orthopedic shoes, and readers (with a chain) with our young prospects (Rutschman, Mouncastle, Diaz, Rodriguez, etc.) in the background shouting "OKBoomer!"

• Haha 1

I think this is part of the reason why I'm having a hard time maintaining my usual level of interest in this team. Knowing they are going to be bad, and knowing there aren't many players on the roster that will be here long term. It really makes it tough to watch on tv and even harder to drive up to the stadium and spend money.