MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

Just since there’s some confusing info out there, a report from abroad. Here in Germany they closed all the schools countrywide as of Monday, along with clubs/venues, bars, sporting events, shopping malls, etc. until further notice. Restaurants don’t have to close but are pretty barren. Police are allowed to break up and send home any larger social groups they see for the sake of public safety. 

Many companies have told their staff to work from home until further notice. A lot of us think this could extend 4-8 weeks. Borders have been closed to several countries. The area I live in (Nordrhein-Westfalen) is one of the two worst regions in Germany for new cases but the mood is OK. Yes, toilet paper and canned goods are harder to find. Also cereal and oat milk were cleaned out tonight, I noticed. (But fret not; beer is still in abundant supply)

Despite the precautions, yesterday was the worst yet for Germany (over 1,500 new cases) and they have not declared a national emergency but are nearly there. And yes, it’s really, really bad in Italy and Iran; Spain is struggling and France is also having a hard time and they’re not alone. I can only hope the preventative measures here have a positive effect within a few weeks.The overall mood is serious and a bit scared but not panicked.

And I really, *really* can’t wait for baseball to come back. Let me just reiterate that. Be well, everyone. 

• Thanks 2

Sad.

Grace Fusco — mother of 11, grandmother of 27 — would sit in the same pew at church each Sunday, surrounded by nearly a dozen members of her sprawling Italian American family. Sunday dinners drew an even larger crowd to her home in central New Jersey.

Now, her close-knit clan is united anew by unspeakable grief: Fusco, 73, died Wednesday night after contracting the coronavirus — hours after her son died from the virus and five days after her daughter’s death, a relative said.

Four other children who contracted coronavirus remain hospitalized, three of them in critical condition, the relative, Roseann Paradiso Fodera, said.

But the virus’ devastating toll on a single family is considered as rare as it is perplexing.

“They’re young, and they don’t have any underlying conditions,” Paradiso Fodera said.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-nyt-coronavirus-ravages-family-20200319-ynit4put5zgz5ckeio6m375vra-story.html

MD State says no gatherings over 10 people.   If you do break this ruling you are breaking the law says the governor.  US troops will work in Maryland under the National Guard's leadership.  1400  more hospital beds will be added in Maryland by early April.  Weight limits on MD highways have been removed.   Your Driver's license will not expire until 30 days after emergency order ends. Malls and all Entertainment are to be closed.  Bars and Breweries can do carry-out and delivery.  

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

MD State says no gatherings over 10 people.   If you do break this ruling you are breaking the law says the governor.  US troops will work in Maryland under the National Guard's leadership.  1400  more hospital beds will be added in Maryland by early April.  Weight limits on MD highways have been removed.   Your Driver's license will not expire until 30 days after emergency order ends. Malls and all Entertainment are to be closed.  Bars and Breweries can do carry-out and delivery.  

MD tax deadline extended to July 15 with no penalty or interest.

Truck weight limits temp removed.

Gov also told people to stay home and stop traveling around and spreading the germs.

23 minutes ago, atomic said:

What are they going to do?  Throw you in jail?  And then let you out cause of the spreading virus?

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

MD tax deadline extended to July 15 with no penalty or interest.

Truck weight limits temp removed.

Gov also told people to stay home and stop traveling around and spreading the germs.

But like federal taxes still have to fill by April 15th. Some talk in Congress of actually extending when you can file but nothing yet.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not true, Fed was extended to July 15 before Md did.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-tax-deadline-pay-by-july-15-11584576882

Just the payment  ,but can fill for an extension anyhow. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-is-delaying-tax-payments-but-you-still-have-to-file-by-april-15-163423133.html

I filed my taxes already. I had a Maryland refund which is just about equal to the federal amount I owe.  I got Maryland refund already.  I was going to wait until April 15th to send in my federal amount owed but I guess I will wait until July.   

Really don't understand the need to send checks to people who are employed.  They should just increase unemployment insurance payments to 80 percent of your pay with no limits and that should fix the issue. I don't need a check as I am getting paid, wife is getting paid.   My expenses should go down as I am not going anywhere other than the park to hike on trails.  Which is free.