MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I filed my taxes already. I had a Maryland refund which is just about equal to the federal amount I owe.  I got Maryland refund already.  I was going to wait until April 15th to send in my federal amount owed but I guess I will wait until July.   

Really don't understand the need to send checks to people who are employed.  They should just increase unemployment insurance payments to 80 percent of your pay with no limits and that should fix the issue. I don't need a check as I am getting paid, wife is getting paid.   My expenses should go down as I am not going anywhere other than the park to hike on trails.  Which is free.

Increasing unemployment insurance to 80% would put many individuals at ease, but I’m not sure how the math will work as unemployment applications will continue to grow.  

I was temporarily on unemployment last year.  It covered less than 20% of my income.  After tax, I was able to cover my COBRA payment and had about $200 left over.  I would imagine that with an increasing amount of unemployment, it would be difficult to increase the benefit that much.

From what I read, there will be an income limit of 75k/100k, single/married to receive the benefit.  I’ve seen where Italy is pausing mortgage payments by six months.  I think something like that should be explored here in addition to cash assistance.

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Increasing unemployment insurance to 80% would put many individuals at ease, but I’m not sure how the math will work as unemployment applications will continue to grow.  

I was temporarily on unemployment last year.  It covered less than 20% of my income.  After tax, I was able to cover my COBRA payment and had about $200 left over.  I would imagine that with an increasing amount of unemployment, it would be difficult to increase the benefit that much.

From what I read, there will be an income limit of 75k/100k, single/married to receive the benefit.  I’ve seen where Italy is pausing mortgage payments by six months.  I think something like that should be explored here in addition to cash assistance.

I am not sure why you would give money to people who make less than 75k who are able to work over people who make more than 75k who have lost their jobs.  

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure why you would give money to people who make less than 75k who are able to work over people who make more than 75k who have lost their jobs.  

They're trying to encourage more cash being injected into the local economies also.  That's more takeout meals from restaurants, more diy project supplies from local stores, more gardening supplies from the local gardening shops, etc.  

5 hours ago, atomic said:

MD State says no gatherings over 10 people.   If you do break this ruling you are breaking the law says the governor.  US troops will work in Maryland under the National Guard's leadership.  1400  more hospital beds will be added in Maryland by early April.  Weight limits on MD highways have been removed.   Your Driver's license will not expire until 30 days after emergency order ends. Malls and all Entertainment are to be closed.  Bars and Breweries can do carry-out and delivery.  

What is that for? :confused:

1 hour ago, MongoBoy said:

Guess what?  You will be receiving a 1099 next year for this 'free money'.  How about doing a tax free couple of months?

Because you might have tons of people out of work.They should fix the crumbling infrastructure and put people to work and get a paycheck.The roads,bridges and many things are crumbling.Then do a payroll free tax for a few months.

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Because you might have tons of people out of work.They should fix the crumbling infrastructure and put people to work and get a paycheck.The roads,bridges and many things are crumbling.Then do a payroll free tax for a few months.

I have a two lane strip of road on my way to work.  About two miles long.  They have had signs up about night construction since late November.

It hasn't been cold or wet.

Seems to me it should have been, at most, a four day(night) job.

They need to revamp how they go about those projects or the underlying issues won't get fixed.

• Like 1

California governor say probably 58 percent of residents will get coronavirus in next 8 weeks. I think everyone will be on their own and medical care won’t exist. NYC has already started to release some prisoners.  We have managed this badly.  

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Yeah I think that opportunity has passed. We needed everyone to wear masks when they leave the house.  We needed to test everyone.  The federal government failed.  Plain and simple.  Even now the states are basically on their own. Being told they need to purchase their own ventilators and masks.  More worried about giving people checks instead of finding solutions to why they can’t test and don’t have enough medical equipment.  Why can the NBA test all their players but sick people can’t get tests?  

7 hours ago, atomic said:

California governor say probably 58 percent of residents will get coronavirus in next 8 weeks. I think everyone will be on their own and medical care won’t exist. NYC has already started to release some prisoners.  We have managed this badly.  

Nice to know you're every bit as optimistic about this as you are about the Orioles. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah I think that opportunity has passed. We needed everyone to wear masks when they leave the house.  We needed to test everyone.  The federal government failed.  Plain and simple.  Even now the states are basically on their own. Being told they need to purchase their own ventilators and masks.  More worried about giving people checks instead of finding solutions to why they can’t test and don’t have enough medical equipment.  Why can the NBA test all their players but sick people can’t get tests?  

How could everyone have ever been tested?  That's 330 million people just in the US.  They tested the NBA because there are like 400 people in the NBA. I won't go out of my way to defend the government, but this is kind of how it works. In an evolving situation there will be differences of opinion, and in a republic/democracy there will never be immediate consensus on what to do.  Even tyrannical governments don't usually take decisive and correct action.