Some stuff...

bigbird

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As usual read into this as little or as much as you want....

- DT has been asking for outside help for a while but has not gotten any.

- Very doubtful we make more than a token run at Tex. He does not think we'll pay anyone over $12 million a season.

- With the thin FA catching market the front office feels it will be able to deal Ramon Hernandez. Would take a starter or reliever in return.

- Will acquire a veteran SS this off season. Will look to trade a pitching prospect for a ss prospect.

- I asked who the first pitching prospect (out of the guys AA and down) to join the Orioles rotation for more than just a call up and he said Arrieta. Most all scouts feel he could handle it now.

- I asked about the pen... A lot will depend on how Baez and Ray look in spring training. He felt for certain we would acquire at least one arm via trade or free agency.

- No intention to deal Huff. Roberts is a different story.

- He said he has not heard of a Markakis extension already being done. AM must be keeping this close to the vest if true.

- I asked if Reimold has ticked someone off and was told not that he's aware of. They were looking for him to get thru a season healthy which he did. He'll be given a good look to make the team in 2009.

"...asking for outside help..." I use to live in a beautiful little fishing village on the coast & there was a Fisherman's Chapel. Maybe DT could request MLB permission to have a pastor; a priest; and a rabbi on the bench.

Frankly, prefer the situtation with Baez as has been the past two yrs because i figure insurance has been covering much of his bloated contract. When he is "able" to pitch, we'll be stuck with paying for his non-performance.

Glad to hear their stance on Huff and Roberts.

"They were looking for (Reimold) to get thru a season healthy..." That has been a justifiable concern. Hope that for the most part that it is in the past so he can be judged on his production.

I'm glad you asked. This is a common grammatical mistake here. Than deals with comparisons etc.; rather this than that. Then deals with time and sequence; then and now or now this, then that.:)

Cleared it right up for me. I am now done pulling a DREK.

So they'll pull the class Orioles cheap and easy move and give the first base job to Huff for one year. Stuff like this is why we haven't had a long-term answer at that position for a decade now.
Besides Tex, what's the next best option at 1B? Delgado, if the Mets don't keep him?

'09 FA First Basemen

Rich Aurilia SF

Ben Broussard NYY

Carlos Delgado * NYM

Nomar Garciaparra LAD

Jason Giambi * NYY

Wes Helms PHI

Kevin Millar BAL

Richie Sexson NYY

Mark Teixeira LAA

Frank Thomas OAK

Jim Thome CWS

Daryle Ward CHC

Unfortunately, if true, this also means no Dunn, Sabathia, Sheets, Burnett, Garland, etc.

I doubt Burnett of Garland gets over 12 million a year. If they do, then it's a good thing that we don't sign them. Especially Garland.

We should've stayed away from Sabathia and Sheets anyway, IMO.

I think everyone understands that Tex is not the solution to the O's woes. He would just be one piece of a puzzle that has a lot of other pieces missing. Signing Tex would equate with the signing of Tejada...adding one superior piece doesn't help if he is surrounded by the mediocre....and inept.

Besides Tex, what's the next best option at 1B? Delgado, if the Mets don't keep him?

'09 FA First Basemen

Rich Aurilia SF

Ben Broussard NYY

Carlos Delgado * NYM

Nomar Garciaparra LAD

Jason Giambi * NYY

Wes Helms PHI

Kevin Millar BAL

Richie Sexson NYY

Mark Teixeira LAA

Frank Thomas OAK

Jim Thome CWS

Daryle Ward CHC

No brainer, Huff will be the first baseman.

I doubt Burnett of Garland gets over 12 million a year. If they do, then it's a good thing that we don't sign them. Especially Garland.

We should've stayed away from Sabathia and Sheets anyway, IMO.

Burnett gets over 12 mm now so he has no reason to opt out unless he expects to get more, and since he is courting a 20 win season he will.

No brainer, Huff will be the first baseman.

And the nice side benefit is that could put Reimold in LF with Scott at DH and Lou as the 4th OF.

So no Tex and keeping Huff for one more year is actually good news on the develop the young guys front.

Archived