How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Weird how places with the strictest quarantine rules seem to have the biggest rise in cases and deaths, isn't it?  Cases have been going up because of the availability of testing. As for deaths, it's widely being reported that hospitals have a financial stake in reporting deaths as COVID19-related, when many of these deaths had underlying and serious problems before they passed. 

I'm sure the initial social distancing measures slowed the virus, but what is not being considered in my opinions are all the other things that have most likely spiked due to these quarantine measures due to the length of them. Suicides, alcoholism, drug abuse, physical and sexual abuse are certainly on the rise with people stuck together with very little outlets.

All in all, it's time to open things up and get back to normal in my opinion. 

AS for baseball and fans, James Earl Jones said it best in Fields of Dream.

"People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again. Oh...people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.”

To go back in time, Chevrolet, Apple Pie and Baseball. :) :) :)

I am totally on board with opening things back up, but I do support the decision to keep the kids out of schools and home for now.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Glad you both are better.

Vents are only used as a last resort, first is nasal canal, then cpap or other type of breathing gadget that I forget the name of. Last and only Last is the vent, when your O2 numbers drop and they do it, to keep your brain from dying and your organs from shutting down.

I was lucky, I was rushed to the ER, my numbers dropped, but they only had to use nasal canal on my and then hydroxchloroquine and zpack combo. This was very early April.

What worries me, is the round 2, which in 1918 was way more deadly, as people thought it was all behind them.

I'm glad you are better as well, but your last statement is part of the problem in this country if you ask me. 

They have people conditioned now to be ready for the next wave or the next disease. They proved during this virus that some Americans will very easily give up their rights for a little bit of perceived safety.

I won't get political, but if anything frightened me during this thing it is how easily people are swayed by the information they are fed and how that information is controlled by five major companies that own 90% of the media.

Ether way, I just hope we can get back to some kind of normalcy and that includes baseball. 

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

To go back in time, Chevrolet, Apple Pie and Baseball. :) :) :)

I am totally on board with opening things back up, but I do support the decision to keep the kids out of schools and home for now.

I'm fine for the rest of this school year, but this can't keep lingering into next school year. I do think seniors should be allowed to have a socially distanced graduation though. If people can go into Walmart and shop, they can certainly allow seniors to have some kind of graduation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm glad you are better as well, but your last statement is part of the problem in this country if you ask me. 

They have people conditioned now to be ready for the next wave or the next disease. They proved during this virus that some Americans will very easily give up their rights for a little bit of perceived safety.

I won't get political, but if anything frightened me during this thing it is how easily people are swayed by the information they are fed and how that information is controlled by five major companies that own 90% of the media.

Ether way, I just hope we can get back to some kind of normalcy and that includes baseball. 

I thought it was more of a lessons learned and not repeat mistakes that our ancestors did.

I do not want to stay locked in until 2021, there is no way, this economy could survive that. Going to be hard enough now.

I hope this pandemic, drives home the importance of being self-reliant on our needs, not that I am advocating to get out of the world market. Just get us to the point, we do not have to depend on foreign market sto supply our needs.

Hopefully, by the fall, we can have vaccinations and enough 15 minute test kids for everybody.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm fine for the rest of this school year, but this can't keep lingering into next school year. I do think seniors should be allowed to have a socially distanced graduation though. If people can go into Walmart and shop, they can certainly allow seniors to have some kind of graduation.

Seniors, and of which, I am lucky that I still have my parents, who are quite elderly. I do not visited them like I used to, they are self-quarantine, neither could survive covid.

Look at nursing homes, and how many residents have died, a way greater proportion than 6%, if those numbers are to believe, and IMO, thats too high.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Weird how places with the strictest quarantine rules seem to have the biggest rise in cases and deaths, isn't it?  Cases have been going up because of the availability of testing. As for deaths, it's widely being reported that hospitals have a financial stake in reporting deaths as COVID19-related, when many of these deaths had underlying and serious problems before they passed. 

I'm sure the initial social distancing measures slowed the virus, but what is not being considered in my opinions are all the other things that have most likely spiked due to these quarantine measures due to the length of them. Suicides, alcoholism, drug abuse, physical and sexual abuse are certainly on the rise with people stuck together with very little outlets.

All in all, it's time to open things up and get back to normal in my opinion. 

AS for baseball and fans, James Earl Jones said it best in Fields of Dream.

"People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again. Oh...people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.”

Shouldn’t the reported mortality rate go down then as more cases go up?  The reported US mortality rate was 4% less than a month ago.  Why are there more deaths this year than a normal year plus COVID deaths if the hospitals are juking the stats as you claim?  Is there a significant reduction in deaths by other causes?

I’d counter that the reported 75k deaths is less than actual.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/29/florida-medical-examiners-were-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-the-state-made-them-stop/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Shouldn’t the reported mortality rate go down then as more cases go up?  The reported US mortality rate was 4% less than a month ago.  Why are there more deaths this year than a normal year plus COVID deaths if the hospitals are juking the stats as you claim?  Is there a significant reduction in deaths by other causes?

I’d counter that the reported 75k deaths is less than actual.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/29/florida-medical-examiners-were-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-the-state-made-them-stop/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

Number reporting has been a widely contested issue from the get go, on both sides of this.

It's a global consideration.  Life becomes a numbers game.  This awful mess is killing people and it will for a while.  Deaths from car accidents are way down.  I'm sure suicides, domestic violence, and addiction related incidents are [way] up.  Seemingly endless data points on those topics.  What I don't believe we're giving enough consideration to are things like outpatient care for those with cancer.  We've told them to stay home, miss treatment, and likely shortened life expectancy for them. 

Another idea being overlooked is that of stopping elective surgeries.  People hear that and think about cosmetic surgeries but there are many "elective" surgeries that are critical to people, such as knee/hip replacements, tonsillectomies, scoliosis surgeries, cataract extraction, ligament repairs, and many others.  The folks being denied this medical care are likely in many states of miserable.

Further, after investigating all of the differences in countries, from population age, population density, climate, residential qualifying characteristics, global connectivity, and everything else, especially with widespread testing and causality issues... it becomes clear this virus hit everywhere in a fairly consistent manner.  People will disagree with that.  Sweden!  New York!  Italy!  Idaho!  The numbers globally, figuring in reporting errors and randomness, are fairly similar.  When considering the variety of reactions, mitigations, and approaches, there is an enormous lesson there.

We are more than 100 years from the Spanish flu.  Beyond historical interest and nuance, these pandemics are not comparable in any sense that matters to our actions now.  Technology, communication, and science have made this a vastly different world. 

Most businesses can survive a couple of months off but six months will wipe them out, the Federal government can not keep printing trillions of dollars, food supply chains will break, and many other ugly truths will be revealed, which bring with them an exponentially larger cost of life.  A global depression will wipe out millions.  We need to get back to our lives.  There is no bigger truth in this.

• Upvote 2

Are elective surgeries still not allowed where you live?  The ban here in VA was lifted on May 1.  My father in law had shoulder surgery right before the ban.  He was still allowed to go in for therapy sessions in April.  He had the option to use telehealth.  (Would love to see this method grow.  It would be a silver lining in all of this).  But he chose to go in.

In my job, we were never allowed to work from home unless the government shut down from snow.  Now, I wonder if I’ll ever go back.  This forced adoption of telework is going to have a significant impact on commercial real estate and the automotive/automotive-related industries.

13 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Are elective surgeries still not allowed where you live?  The ban here in VA was lifted on May 1.  My father in law had shoulder surgery right before the ban.  He was still allowed to go in for therapy sessions in April.  He had the option to use telehealth.  (Would love to see this method grow.  It would be a silver lining in all of this).  But he chose to go in.

In my job, we were never allowed to work from home unless the government shut down from snow.  Now, I wonder if I’ll ever go back.  This forced adoption of telework is going to have a significant impact on commercial real estate and the automotive/automotive-related industries.

May restriction rollbacks are doing a lot of good in many places.  That's the sort of opening up and return to normal we need.  How things worked prior to that, and are still working in select places, is problematic.

The ramifications of this will be life altering, for the overall good, I believe.  What we learned about pandemics, good and bad, will be studied endlessly.  Many places of business may never be the same.  Tele-everything has been hugely tested and did very well overall.  From that, figure business travel will decline, office visits should be less necessary, highway congestion hopefully goes down a bit, and so forth.  Extrapolate those and maybe we get a small pollution decline.  And so it goes.  Everything is in play.  A huge moment in history.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Why would testing need to happen? The demographics of the baseball players and their support staff suggest they have a very little chance of contracting the virus and even if they did, the chances are so minimum of them having serious consequences due to the virus that it really doesn't make a ton of sense to have to test everyone first.

Of the athletes that have come out as having this virus, none had significant complications like 99.9% of the other people who come in contact with this virus.

You're kidding, right? Testing is going to be a non-negotiable issue before play can begin. You can't just throw a bunch of people into closed quarters without knowing if they're infected and potentially a risk to others. The MLBPA would never agree to it, and MLB would never ask them to, either.

I don't understand your second sentence that players and support staff have very little chance of contracting the virus. Why not? If they're in close proximity to someone who's infected, they could easily be infected, too. You said it yourself that a lot more people are getting infected than what's being reported.

And while you're right that most MLB players are young and healthy enough that they won't have serious complications if they do get infected, what about everyone else? The coaches? The media (if they're present)? Umpires? Clubhouse workers, janitors, anyone else who might be involved in staging the games, who could be in the age range or have health issues that would put them at risk? It's not just players we're talking about.

From an ESPN article:

While health officials see MLB players as low-risk candidates for COVID-19-related issues because of their age and health, putting protocols in place to ensure the health and safety of older managers, coaches, umpires and other personnel would be paramount to the plan working, sources said.

Look at the KBO. They're testing everyone (I think) once a week, and everyone who comes to the ballpark gets their temperature taken on the way in and the way out. You'd need to have something similar in place for MLB.

There is no universe in which baseball will begin without frequent testing. Not necessarily every day, but frequent. So the question is...can we get there?

15 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I’m willing to sacrifice everything for school to start in the fall.  If I had to choose between 2020 baseball and school starting in the fall, I’m choosing the latter all day, everyday.

Sounds like a cranky parent to me. ?

56 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

This I agree with 100%. A lot of businesses will understand it's able to operate with some kind of teleworking. I love the idea of people teleworking if possible because that's less traffic and traffic is a huge issue in the DMV area as I'm sure you know. There has to be balance of course because social interaction can help communication within your business, but I could see people being allowed to telework for parts of their week from here on out if businesses think it will help their bottom line.

As for elective surgeries, Hogan just lifted that ban yesterday so that should get some people out of pain and some people back to work, which is a good thing.

32 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

You're kidding, right? Testing is going to be a non-negotiable issue before play can begin. You can't just throw a bunch of people into closed quarters without knowing if they're infected and potentially a risk to others. The MLBPA would never agree to it, and MLB would never ask them to, either.

I don't understand your second sentence that players and support staff have very little chance of contracting the virus. Why not? If they're in close proximity to someone who's infected, they could easily be infected, too. You said it yourself that a lot more people are getting infected than what's being reported.

And while you're right that most MLB players are young and healthy enough that they won't have serious complications if they do get infected, what about everyone else? The coaches? The media (if they're present)? Umpires? Clubhouse workers, janitors, anyone else who might be involved in staging the games, who could be in the age range or have health issues that would put them at risk? It's not just players we're talking about.

From an ESPN article:

Look at the KBO. They're testing everyone (I think) once a week, and everyone who comes to the ballpark gets their temperature taken on the way in and the way out. You'd need to have something similar in place for MLB.

There is no universe in which baseball will begin without frequent testing. Not necessarily every day, but frequent. So the question is...can we get there?

If they want to test everyone great, but I don't believe for a second it's needed or warranted. I realize that some of you feel the great death plague is upon us and that by just looking at another human being you will infect them, but once we get out and about people are going to find that they are just as safe as they've always been. Those that will get infected, the vast majority will not even have symptoms worse than a FLU or typical yearly virus. 

As I stated already, my wife and I probably already had it and we had two totally different experiences with it because that's how humans work. As "Ripken" has stated much more eloquently than I have, the other problems of the Quarantine and closures will have much more affect than the virus.