How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Their normal business model with revenues involves paying their players $1000 bucks a month and convincing them to stay with random families to avoid rent, while taking large subsidies from MLB.  So no revenues for a few months... yes, they're probably in bad shape.

But for the 162 minor league clubs from Single-A through Triple-A, the future is far from certain. With so many clubs in locations large and small, the ability to coordinate the start of play seems especially daunting. And without media rights, the advantage to playing to empty ballparks would be near zero. In addition, MLB, which supplies the players for the minor leagues, is going to work only the top-most talent needed to supply the big leagues with players in the event of injuries. That plan would likely involve bringing players to spring training facilities, from which they would be called up as needed.

All this is to say that minor league baseball is on the edge of seeing not only the season end but, much like some restaurants and other small businesses, clubs having to close up for good. Without revenues to pay the bills, many will be left with no choice.

Some clubs might be able to qualify for some economic relief under the CARES Act, which was just approved and includes government assistance to small businesses. That would provide a 50% refundable payroll tax credit on wages paid up to

$10,000. But for businesses with more than 100 employees, that credit can be claimed only for employees who are retained but not able to work during the shutdown. (For businesses with 100 or fewer employees, it applies to all employee wages.) Those who operate the minor league clubs would individually apply for such assistance.

“These clubs are going to need some help,” Lantz said. “For most of them, they have 70 days a year to make as much money as they can and the rest of the year spending money. Minor league baseball is not your typical small business as it’s seasonal.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2020/04/01/coronavirus-crisis-could-see-many-minor-league-teams-shut-down-for-good/#32d79f6064e4

4 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

They aren't the ones paying players, that is MLB.

Even worse.  They're not even paying the players, they're not paying for the stadium.  But there are short-season rookie teams that can't be bringing in a few hundred thousand dollars a year.  Their entire annual revenues wouldn't pay five people US median wages.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, maybe I'll watch some then.  Who's there?  If you tell me Tyler Wilson I won't be happy.

C'mon.  When I saw Wilson in Norfolk a few years ago he almost got through five innings giving up four earned.  The Scranton Wilkes Barre Rail Riders were tough.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, maybe I'll watch some then.  Who's there?  If you tell me Tyler Wilson I won't be happy.

Aaron Brooks (Kia)

Odrisamer Despaigne (KT)

Dan Straily (Lotte)

Tyler Wilson (LG)

Mike Wright (NC)

That is from the list of Americans there.   Hyun Soo Kim is also over there, of course.

So basically, besides Kim, the Orioles over there are a bunch of guys who elicited the response "Oh man, HE's starting today?   Not sure I want to watch".

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Aaron Brooks (Kia)

Odrisamer Despaigne (KT)

Dan Straily (Lotte)

Tyler Wilson (LG)

Mike Wright (NC)

That is from the list of Americans there.   Hyun Soo Kim is also over there, of course.

So basically, besides Kim, the Orioles over there are a bunch of guys who elicited the response "Oh man, HE's starting today?   Not sure I want to watch".

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200417002600315

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Aaron Brooks (Kia)

Odrisamer Despaigne (KT)

Dan Straily (Lotte)

Tyler Wilson (LG)

Mike Wright (NC)

I am not usually one to wish people bad luck but I hope Mike Wright gets lit up in the KBO. 

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Aaron Brooks (Kia)

Odrisamer Despaigne (KT)

Dan Straily (Lotte)

Tyler Wilson (LG)

Mike Wright (NC)

Yeah, I'll pass on the KBO if I gotta see Mike Wright.

Well here is some good news for a  change.  They randomly tested people at grocery stores in NYC and 20 percent had anti-bodies to show they already had covid--19.  

Two good things about this.  First, It appears that covid-19 isn't as deadly as believe and two ,at this rate NYC will soon have heard immunity.  They can make NYC host all the baseball games!!!

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Aaron Brooks (Kia)

Odrisamer Despaigne (KT)

Dan Straily (Lotte)

Tyler Wilson (LG)

Mike Wright (NC)

My point was that there are several former O's which Moose's comment was following former O's.  Didn't speak on watchability.  Anyone know who will show these games? I'd pay a minor fee, like the $5 I was paying ESPN+ to watch for at least a month to see how they are handling it and to just watch something that is happening live and not the news.  

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not usually one to wish people bad luck but I hope Mike Wright gets lit up in the KBO. 

What did Mike Wright do to you?  He was always a nice guy, to me at least in the minors.  He's a guy, just like Wilson, that I'd like to see have some success, even though I know they aren't major league caliber players.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Aaron Brooks (Kia)

Odrisamer Despaigne (KT)

Dan Straily (Lotte)

Tyler Wilson (LG)

Mike Wright (NC)

I'm very happy there are leagues in the world where guys who aren't quite good enough to play MLB can play ball and make a good living.  Not a fan of the North American model of labeling everyone not quite good enough to be at the very highest level losers.

Plus, how can you not like Odrisamer Despaigne?  He's on the O's all time best name team.

20 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

My point was that there are several former O's which Moose's comment was following former O's.  Didn't speak on watchability.  Anyone know who will show these games? I'd pay a minor fee, like the $5 I was paying ESPN+ to watch for at least a month to see how they are handling it and to just watch something that is happening live and not the news.  

Possibly on ESPN, but apparently things hit a snag when ESPN wanted the rights fees to be $0.00.

37 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

What did Mike Wright do to you?  He was always a nice guy, to me at least in the minors.  He's a guy, just like Wilson, that I'd like to see have some success, even though I know they aren't major league caliber players.  

He was the reason along with Brady that are pitching coach and bullpen coach left who helped the pitching staff become successful.   Plus even though he is much worse than Tyler Wilson he stuck around a lot longer because he was Brady's buddy.