How much would you pay to have 81 Orioles games to watch on TV this year (read the hypothetical below)?

Frobby

How much would you pay to watch 81 Orioles games this year  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay to watch 81 Orioles games on TV this year?

• $25 or less
    • No more than $50
    • No more than $100
    • No more than $200
    • I’d gladly pay $200+

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/09/20 at 04:00

We’ve often discussed what MASN costs on our cable bills, how to get around it, etc.

Now that we’ve had more than a month of no baseball, I’m curious what people feel that having baseball to watch is worth to them.    So imagine a world where if you plunk down the cash, the O’s will play 81 games this summer you can watch on TV.   But if an insufficient number of people sign up, there will be no baseball at all.    In that scenario, what would you pay to have some O’s baseball to watch?

Note that in my hypothetical, you can’t play it halfway.   No baseball on radio, no baseball at all.     Pay up and have a half-season to enjoy, or there’s no season.

In this hypothetical, I probably wouldn't pay much.  I do pay a lot more normally -- both MASN and 29-game ticket package, but it is hard to be enthusiastic this year for some reason -- not just a bad team because I watched and attended faithfully through all the bad years.  Is it Covid-19?  Who knows.

• Upvote 1

So the question is how much would I pay to have 81 orioles games televised this season and the alternative is that there is no baseball at all?  Essentially I am trying to spend a partial season into existence?  Thousands. 

Nothing. 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, backwardsk said:

That’s tough.  Does the entire MLB depend on the Orioles turnout?  If yes, then I would pay.  If no, then I wouldn’t for this year’s team.  If this was 2012-2016, then I would pay.

Yeah that is how I feel. No one on the team to even root for.  Villar, Cashner and Bundy gone. Mancini out. Besides Means and Alberto who’s last season might have been flukes and a bunch of guys who don’t belong in the majors.  

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Nothing. 

Yeah that is how I feel. No one on the team to even root for.  Villar, Cashner and Bundy gone. Mancini out. Besides Means and Alberto who’s last season might have been flukes and a bunch of guys who don’t belong in the majors.  

I don't know about you, but I root for everyone on the Orioles. Because they're the Orioles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'd pay $50 or something.

It is funny that all of us who have cable are still paying our $5 or whatever monthly MASN fee.  MASN without the Nats and Orioles is just an endless stream of infomercials and random reruns of supposedly classic games.  There can't be more than a few dozen people watching the channel at any given moment.  They have to be pulling in huge profits.  Millions of mandatory subscription fees, and no game day expenses.  I'm guessing they locked in advertising contracts months or years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess I'd pay $50 or something.

It is funny that all of us who have cable are still paying our $5 or whatever monthly MASN fee.  MASN without the Nats and Orioles is just an endless stream of infomercials and random reruns of supposedly classic games.  There can't be more than a few dozen people watching the channel at any given moment.  They have to be pulling in huge profits.  Millions of mandatory subscription fees, and no game day expenses.  I'm guessing they locked in advertising contracts months or years ago.

I don’t have cable.  Disney Plus and Hulu I pay for.  I think that is something like 13 dollars a month combined.  

3 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

I don't know about you, but I root for everyone on the Orioles. Because they're the Orioles.

I don’t root for players who play terrible defense or players who strike out all the time and hit for low average as they are trying to hit home runs every at bat.  Or guys who have no excuse to be in the majors and keep coming back like Mike Wright.  And seems like most people on here were rooting against Chris Davis last season,

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I don’t root for players who play terrible defense or players who strike out all the time and hit for low average as they are trying to hit home runs every at bat.  Or guys who have no excuse to be in the majors and keep coming back like Mike Wright.  And seems like most people on here were rooting against Chris Davis last season,

Maybe sports aren't really for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

This is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen. Why even be a fan of sports, if everybody on the team must fit your perfect ideal for a ballplayer or you refuse to root for them? Nobody's saying you have to think they're great players, but you're saying you literally aren't pulling for them to succeed.

• Like 1