MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Indeed, they do seem to have rather cavalier attitudes.  

I find it funny that their mascot is a rich, aristocratic, white plantation owner and nobody ever says anything about it.  I know teams have some weird mascots, but that's just what the heck.  And then they start singing Auld Lang Syne after a touchdown and everything goes into the Twilight Zone.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I find it funny that their mascot is a rich, aristocratic, white plantation owner and nobody ever says anything about it.  I know teams have some weird mascots, but that's just what the heck.  And then they start singing Auld Lang Syne after a touchdown and everything goes into the Twilight Zone.

Hoo knows what they were thinking.

Btw, this is all Eddie's fault for saying "all jokes aside".    

34 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So, is Ben Zobrist the best comp to Austin Martin?  I'd really stay away from comps to Rendon - who I thought was a freak prospect - because he combined the absurd hit tool with a very good... eh... power tool.  

I'm no draft expert, but I guess.  With the caveat that Zobrist would be a fantastically good outcome for Martin.  You can find scouting reports from draft day that call Ryan Flaherty the new Wally Joyner.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm no draft expert, but I guess.  With the caveat that Zobrist would be a fantastically good outcome for Martin.  You can find scouting reports from draft day that call Ryan Flaherty the new Wally Joyner.

I forget what Bill James' take was on Wally Joyner but how he wrote it was great.  It was something like, "A player who started off incredibly but slowly slipped into the abyss year by year."

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm no fan of UVa, but I don't know where you are getting this.  My understanding is that a cavalier was a 17th century royalist cavalryman during the English Civil War.  The logo is a depiction of one.  Yes, they were mostly landowners and fought on the side of the wealthier royalists vs. the parliamentarian roundheads, but they certainly weren't plantation owners in the American South.  Plantation owners in the American South could hardly be considered royalists.  Since the cavaliers fought on the side of the government against the rebellion, it seems to me that the closer parallel in the American Civil War might be officers in the Union cavalry.

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm no fan of UVa, but I don't know where you are getting this.  My understanding is that a cavalier was a 17th century royalist cavalryman during the English Civil War.  The logo is a depiction of one.  Yes, they were mostly landowners and fought on the side of the wealthier royalists vs. the parliamentarian roundheads, but they certainly weren't plantation owners in the American South.  Plantation owners in the American South could hardly be considered royalists.  Since the cavaliers fought on the side of the government against the rebellion, it seems to me that the closer parallel in the American Civil War might be officers in the Union cavalry.

virginia_cavaliers_1994-pres-a.png

That's a terrible choice of blade for horseback.

14 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Please don't disrupt my anti-idealized concept of Mr. Jefferson's University.  UVA cultivates an image of equestrian aristocracy, lawyers, doctors, sons and daughters of the ruling class... I'm not going to get into historical details.  They wear button up shirts and boat shoes to football games, seriously.  I'll keep hanging out with my overall-wearing, moonshine-sipping engineer brethren down in Blacksburg.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Please don't disrupt my anti-idealized concept of Mr. Jefferson's University.  UVA cultivates an image of equestrian aristocracy, lawyers, doctors, sons and daughters of the ruling class... I'm not going to get into historical details.  They wear button up shirts and boat shoes to football games, seriously.  I'll keep hanging out with my overall-wearing, moonshine-sipping engineer brethren down in Blacksburg.

Who thinks that about Tech?  

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wahoos.  At least when they're talking crap with Hokies.  Neither of us completely believe it, but there's some small kernel of truth there.  Wahoos really do wear blue oxford shirts and Docksiders to football games.

I don't really see the problem with that. But I also like to go to polo matches and horse races.  I wish I was a Wahoo but I went to lowly GMU. :( 

• Thanks 1

Before he couldn't hold down SS for his college team, Martin was kind of the stud in this year's mix I didn't want as he would possibly spoil the Lindor '22 of my imagination.

But now that he's 2B/3B, it all still works, just pushing Bannon to a UT profile.  2B Bannon was the weak link in the Adley/Lindor lineup anyway.

Always bet on the field of course, but we could be less than 2 calendar years away from rolling Adley, Kumar, Martin, <2022 FA SS>, Hays out up the middle some summer night.

Also, as a Wahoo from the unlikely pipeline of Baltimore City Public Schools, ouch Drungo ouch...

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Also, as a Wahoo from the unlikely pipeline of Baltimore City Public Schools, ouch Drungo ouch...

It appears Drungo has two giant chips on his shoulder, one is the inferiority complex in regards to UVA and the dress code for football games and then the inherent inferiority complex that comes along with all things having to do with being from the Baltimore area.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

So, is Ben Zobrist the best comp to Austin Martin?  I'd really stay away from comps to Rendon - who I thought was a freak prospect - because he combined the absurd hit tool with a very good... eh... power tool.  

Some guy (O’Dowd from MLBN?) they interviewed on the fan compared him to Betts. Talked about how the athleticism compares but his best trait is his intelligence/eye. Great pitch recognition so doesn’t chase bad ones and very smart on base paths etc. I’m all in on this dude.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Some guy (O’Dowd from MLBN?) they interviewed on the fan compared him to Betts. Talked about how the athleticism compares but his best trait is his intelligence/eye. Great pitch recognition so doesn’t chase bad ones and very smart on base paths etc. I’m all in on this dude.

A lot of Betts comps.