MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is the most likely thing.    Though it’s also possible Elias thought there would be a good overslot candidate available at 30, and it didn’t play out that way.    

Could very well be.  That's why when you take a chance like that - where you're certain to get a lot of screwwwtiny, you better have a good Plan B.  I think his plan was successful, but I'm just not wow'd by Martin.        

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Could very well be.  That's why when you take a chance like that - where you're certain to get a lot of screwwwtiny, you better have a good Plan B.  I think his plan was successful, but I'm just not wow'd by Martin.        

Seems like a good enough prospect for sure, but I think his at-some-point-consensus status as the number two guy in this draft is causing some heartburn for folks.

By many accounts, Tork is pick 2.5 in 2019, no? In hindsight, it seems like that makes this a better year to adopt the strategy Elias did.

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Seems like a good enough prospect for sure, but I think his at-some-point-consensus status as the number two guy in this draft is causing some heartburn for folks.

By many accounts, Tork is pick 2.5 in 2019, no? In hindsight, it seems like that makes this a better year to adopt the strategy Elias did.

The thing that concerns me about the pick is how much weight they seemingly gave to their projections based off of a limited 2020 data set.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing that concerns me about the pick is how much weight they seemingly gave to their projections based off of a limited 2020 data set.

I understand that concern. IIRC, Kjerstad's best offensive output this season was against a less competitive team from a lower conference.

I would be much more concerned if they projected solely off of year old data. The players were not frozen in amber this Spring and projecting their futures should not be limited to 2019 scouting that is frozen in amber. Seems a lot of folks are stuck on the old projections that may no longer be accurate, causing worry about the "one that got away"  that may prove to be unwarranted.