MLBTR: Players Make Counter-Proposal

weams

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Whatever.

How can anyone root for either side when both are trying to take advantage of a pandemic for long term gain? 

I was kidding. You should know that by now. 

I agree with you. Hard to pick sides  . 

I know there are a million TV channels and a lot up in the air but another thing to remember is the TV contracts. The National TV broadcast channels for postseason TBS, ESPN, FOX, FS1 may have other commitments in November. A ton of moving parts here.  

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You think the World Series gets the same attention playing it around Thanksgiving?  

I don’t see why it wouldn’t draw similar TV numbers as last year’s World Series depending on who is playing.  Sunday Night football already outperforms the WS head to head.  Now, I do think interest in MLB could wane this season with the late start and no fan attendance, but I don’t think playing deeper into the calendar will have much of an effect.

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know there are a million TV channels and a lot up in the air but another thing to remember is the TV contracts. The National TV broadcast channels for postseason TBS, ESPN, FOX, FS1 may have other commitments in November. A ton of moving parts here.  

During the Olympics they will put curling and biathlon on, like, CSPAN12 or that channel that's a 24/7 infomercial about suing companies because you once used baby powder.  I'm sure they'd do something similar with baseball playoffs.

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t draw similar TV numbers as last year’s World Series depending on who is playing.  Sunday Night football already outperforms the WS head to head.  Now, I do think interest in MLB could wane this season with the late start and no fan attendance, but I don’t think playing deeper into the calendar will have much of an effect.

Baseball is highly localized, football isn't, at least in part because of gambling (and its cousin, fantasy football).  Except the Yanks/Sox/Dodgers, almost all baseball games draw fewer eyeballs out-of-home-market than MTV's latest series about illiterate homeless 14-year-olds impregnated by Sasquatch.

• Haha 2

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

During the Olympics they will put curling and biathlon on, like, CSPAN12 or that channel that's a 24/7 infomercial about suing companies because you once used baby powder.  I'm sure they'd so something similar with baseball playoffs.

And why would you want to do that? MLB needs more exposure not less. These National TV deals are all about the playoffs anyway. Local rules the regular season.  

If they add an extra round of playoffs which it looks like,  I’m sure ESPN would love to air some more during the non football nights. Deeper into calendar they air more games all nights of the week. Non descript MAC football games. 

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baseball is highly localized, football isn't, at least in part because of gambling (and its cousin, fantasy football).  Except the Yanks/Sox/Dodgers, almost all baseball games draw fewer eyeballs out-of-home-market than MTV's latest series about illiterate homeless 14-year-olds impregnated by Sasquatch.

Dude, what'd I tell you about talking about my family?

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

And why would you want to do that? MLB needs more exposure not less. These National TV deals are all about the playoffs anyway. Local rules the regular season.  

If they add an extra round of playoffs which it looks like,  I’m sure ESPN would love to air some more during the non football nights. Deeper into calendar they air more games all nights of the week. Non descript MAC football games. 

Baseball might not like the answer to who gets more viewers: Akron - Southern Illinois, or Brewers - Mariners.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baseball might not like the answer to who gets more viewers: Akron - Southern Illinois, or Brewers - Mariners.

Which is why I think they stay playing playoffs in October. If they go to 7 teams with an extra round that will add close to a week of games. Keep in mind no 1 game WCard this year. Now will they have a best of 3 or 5 first round series? I guess best of 3 not to make top seed wait too long.  

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don’t think as many people will have baseball on their minds when it is 30 degrees outside. Many big college games are in November as well. LSU-Alabama etc. 

I don’t know what is going to happen with scripted TV either.