MLB makes new proposal- Union demands start date and terms by Monday

weams

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My guess is they’ll work something out, but I’m not going to hold my breath about it.    Wake me up when they’ve reached agreement.   

I have to admit, I was completely hopeless before. Up thru very recently. Both sides seemed to be setting their position in stone for a true work stoppage, whether strike or lockout, or just never getting around to an agreement this year. Loggerheads.

I have some hope again today.

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's hoping it happens.  But the players are a bunch of whiny self entitled bitches.  We'll see.  

If the players don't play they are going to look at a fall of no major free agent signings.  Then in 2022  there might be a work stoppage.   

At this point I don't care.  Let them cancel their season.  I have Hockey playoffs to look forward to. And I can stream those without a cable package.   Watching a never ending carousel of random waiver claims starting for the Orioles doesn't sound very appealing anyway. 

Can anyone name the Orioles starting five?  Can Hyde?  Can he name even 3 of them? 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

My guess is they’ll work something out, but I’m not going to hold my breath about it.    Wake me up when they’ve reached agreement.   

If they really wanted to settle this they would just meet  somewhere and stay together to they hash this out.  They could have a zoom session if they are scared of getting covid or meet outside in one of the empty stadiums.  Whatever this silly back and forth every 4 days or so where they announce their reactions to the press instead of the other side is not making progress.  I do hope the season is cancelled because it is our best chance of ending up with a salary cap if the players start hurting they might be more likely to agree to one in the next agreeement.  

27 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And now the latest players counterproposal is in:  89 games, full pro rated salary.

Does not seem to be progress to me.

(Source:  Nightengale)

Ya I don’t think it is. No one is willing to make a concession. MLB will not concede full prorated pay and mlbpa will not accept anything less it seems. AND they just proposed a longer season than the proposal before.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

And now the latest players counterproposal is in:  89 games, full pro rated salary.

Does not seem to be progress to me.

(Source:  Nightengale)

And Jon Heyman reports that his "ownership source" (didn't know he had one?) says:   "We're nowhere".

Has anyone seen a decent economic analysis of the expected revenue and non-player costs in MLB this year, assuming games in smaller stadiums with no fans present?     It seems logical to me, at first blush, that revenues will be down by more than the proportionate number of games played.    In other words, half a season results in less than half the total revenue.   But I really don’t know, because a lot depends on how the TV revenues are affected.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has anyone seen a decent economic analysis of the expected revenue and non-player costs in MLB this year, assuming games in smaller stadiums with no fans present?     It seems logical to me, at first blush, that revenues will be down by more than the proportionate number of games played.    In other words, half a season results in less than half the total revenue.   But I really don’t know, because a lot depends on how the TV revenues are affected.    

I think that’s a good hypothesis. I’d say the owners may have to think of this as a multi round game, though. Let’s hypothetically  say the owners are better off in 2020 not playing games than the prorated option. They would still need to consider the impact of not playing 2020 on 2021 and beyond.