MLB makes new proposal- Union demands start date and terms by Monday

weams

16 hours ago, VICIOUS said:

Went to Munich American High School in the late 70's when 1860 was decent. Of course there is always Bayern.

Cool.  But saying there's always Bayern is like being an O's fan and when they fall on hard times you say "well, you can always fall back on rooting for the Yankees."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cool.  But saying there's always Bayern is like being an O's fan and when they fall on hard times you say "well, you can always fall back on rooting for the Yankees."

Both from Munich.  Your comparison doesn’t work.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, forphase1 said:

No they won't 'make it up'.  That is revenue that was expected, but will not be seen now.  The TV revenue will not be increasing a dime to cover what's being lost...if anything TV revenues may also be cut depending on the particulars of the contracts as many local contracts often have viewership levels needed for advertising to pay the highest amounts.  Now that will vary from team to team and situation to situation, but to act like the owners will be able to make up the lost money from not having fans in the seats really isn't realistic.  I think the players are being completely unfair and unreasonable in refusing to budge off of their full pay per game demands.  I've been a baseball fan since I was a small kid, and my opinion of the players and their union is as low as it's ever been in my life.  So many folks are out of work or had to take a pay cut to keep their job (personally I was both...took a pay cut for about a month before losing job entirely...waiting to be called back to work hopefully soon, but who knows).  I've seen the owners grudgingly increase the amount of money per game they are offering the players, yet the players have not budged a single percentage point from their 100% per game stance.  They need to willing to compromise like so many other Americans have had to do so.  JMO.

Great post.  The players act like there is no pandemic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My comparison works just fine.  But if your mind can't wrap itself around it, then substitute Mets for Orioles.

Mets are a major league team. Does NYC have any double A teams.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Both from Munich.  Your comparison doesn’t work.

God , you have no clue.  Do you think a Mets fan would root for the Yanks when the Mets have a bad year?  Bayern has won the Bundesliga for 7 years in a row , and all non-Bayern supporters hate them, just like all non Yankee fans here hate the Yanks (I detest the Yanks).

Edited by Chelsea_Phil
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Analogy does not hold.    Baseball does not have the promotion / relegation like European football clubs.  MLB, AAA, AA and A teams are fixed for the most part, outside of moving and sometimes folding.  The Baltimore Orioles are not going to start playing in AAA if they finish outside of the top 28 teams.

1860 was in the top division until 2004 when they got relegated into 2. Bundesliga (presently they're on 3. Liga)

Real Man City fans are not going to just start rooting for Man U because Man City gets relegated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, atomic said:

Does NYC have teams in a league where you get sent to a lower league if you finish near the bottom?  No, clearly not, because then the Mets would have found themselves in the NY-Penn League multiple times in the mid-60s and late 70s.

12 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Analogy does not hold.    Baseball does not have the promotion / relegation like European football clubs.  MLB, AAA, AA and A teams are fixed for the most part, outside of moving and sometimes folding.  The Baltimore Orioles are not going to start playing in AAA if they finish outside of the top 28 teams.

1860 was in the top division until 2004 when they got relegated into 2. Bundesliga (presently they're on 3. Liga)

Real Man City fans are not going to just start rooting for Man U because Man City gets relegated.

I started rooting for 1860 around 2000, and stuck with them through multiple relegations.  It's awesome to see the Grünwalder Stadion packed to the rafters with fans who don't care if they're in the 3. Liga, Die Löwen are their team.  Hell would freeze over before they switched to Bayern.1248071330-fall-eines-umbaus-sucht-1860-

(Note: the section in the corner is for the visiting fans.  When you're in the lower divisions the other teams don't always have the level of support 1860 does.  When they were briefly in the 4th-tier Regionalliga they'd have road games where they had many times the fans that the home team did.  Opposite of the picture above, the little visiting section would be overflowing while the rest of the stadium was mostly empty.)

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Does NYC have teams in a league where you get sent to a lower league if you finish near the bottom?  No, clearly not, because then the Mets would have found themselves in the NY-Penn League multiple times in the mid-60s and late 70s.

I started rooting for 1860 around 2000, and stuck with them through multiple relegations.  It's awesome to see the Grünwalder Stadion packed to the rafters with fans who don't care if they're in the 3. Liga, Die Löwen are their team.  Hell would freeze over before they switched to Bayern.1248071330-fall-eines-umbaus-sucht-1860-

(Note: the section in the corner is for the visiting fans.  When you're in the lower divisions the other teams don't always have the level of support 1860 does.  When they were briefly in the 4th-tier Regionalliga they'd have road games where they had many times the fans that the home team did.  Opposite of the picture above, the little visiting section would be overflowing while the rest of the stadium was mostly empty.)

I will wear my Bayern München  Jersey today on your behalf while driving around in my BMW.. I guess rooting for such a bad team was training for the Orioles last few seasons.   I wonder why American's have it half in English spelling and half in German spelling.  It should either be Bavaria Munich or Bayern München.  Very strange.   

When I was in Munich a few years back visiting my relatives none of them mentioned the 1860 team.  They all just bragged about Bayern Munchen for some odd reason. 

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

I will wear my Bayern München  Jersey today on your behalf while driving around in my BMW.. I guess rooting for such a bad team was training for the Orioles last few seasons.   I wonder why American's have it half in English spelling and half in German spelling.  It should either be Bavaria Munich or Bayern München.  Very strange.   

When I was in Munich a few years back visiting my relatives none of them mentioned the 1860 team.  They all just bragged about Bayern Munchen for some odd reason. 

Most people are followers.  They think that wearing a Yankees jersey or hat makes them winners. When all it really says is that they took the easiest path.

I picked 1860 kind of by chance, I liked their jersey and I didn't know any better, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Even 20 years ago I knew better than to pick Bayern.  Like when I picked an English team I couldn't pick one of the big money teams that always expects to win, but I also couldn't pick a team so forlorn that they'd never be on US TV a decade ago (already had 1860 for that) so I chose Tottenham.

So, so, so much better to be a fan of a team that's not the automatic American tourist choice.  When someone stops you to talk about your 1860 or Spurs shirt they really want to know about it and what your connection is to the team.  If they see a Bayern or a Man U shirt they would never stop you to talk, they just assume you got it in the airport.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

God , you have no clue.  Do you think a Mets fan would root for the Yanks when the Mets have a bad year?  Bayern has won the Bundesliga for 7 years in a row , and all non-Bayern supporters hate them, just like all non Yankee fans here hate the Yanks (I detest the Yanks).

If I lived in NYC I think I would have to question why anyone would be a Mets fan.  Of course they Yankees play in the Bronx which historically has been a very bad area.  I could see being a Cubs fan over a White Sox fan for that reason. 

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Most people are followers.  They think that wearing a Yankees jersey or hat makes them winners. When all it really says is that they took the easiest path.

I picked 1860 kind of by chance, I liked their jersey and I didn't know any better, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Even 20 years ago I knew better than to pick Bayern.  Like when I picked an English team I couldn't pick one of the big money teams that always expects to win, but I also couldn't pick a team so forlorn that they'd never be on US TV a decade ago (already had 1860 for that) so I chose Tottenham.

So, so, so much better to be a fan of a team that's not the automatic American tourist choice.  When someone stops you to talk about your 1860 or Spurs shirt they really want to know about it and what your connection is to the team.  If they see a Bayern or a Man U shirt they would never stop you to talk, they just assume you got it in the airport.

I figured you picked 1860 because it was your favorite year.

• Haha 1