Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

7th isn’t 2nd! That’s my point so I appreciate your assistance. There were at least 6 better rated prospects including Martin. The only one they couldn’t get is Torkelson 

So your point is organizations should abandon their own scouting and evaluation and just make a draft board based on opinions they can find on the internet. Sweet point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

7th isn’t 2nd! That’s my point so I appreciate your assistance. There were at least 6 better rated prospects including Martin. The only one they couldn’t get is Torkelson 

Damn, I guess they should just take whoever averages out to be 2nd over all the public boards. Why even scout the players? I'm sure Kjerstad was 7th on THEIR board like you are saying.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh right, sorry I'm distracted.  I liked Matzek in 2009.  He was who I was talking about before.  Got myself twisted up a bit.

At least Matzek Is still pitching. But he’s probably considered a bust by whoever drafted him.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

So your point is organizations should abandon their own scouting and evaluation and just make a draft board based on opinions they can find on the internet. Sweet point.

If baseball drafted BPA like football it wouldn’t matter. Baseball drafts are muddied by all kinds of additional stuff. Like the over/underslot crap, sign ability issues leveraged by players that have the option of going to college, a cap on their draft singing bonus expenditures, etc.

The Orioles did not draft BPA when they took Kjerstad.His signing bonus should be evidence once it’s announced. 

8 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Damn, I guess they should just take whoever averages out to be 2nd over all the public boards. Why even scout the players? I'm sure Kjerstad was 7th on THEIR board like you are saying.

He likely was..... It was rumored that they would/were drafting below slot early so they could overpay on the High Schoolers later in the draft.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He likely was..... It was rumored that they would/were drafting below slot early so they could overpay on the High Schoolers later in the draft.

It's crazy how you act like him being underslotted is breaking news. Picture this scenario: Torkelson is tier one on their board, then they have Martin, Gonzales, Lacy, and Kjerstad as virtual ties in the next tier. One or two could be very slightly higher or lower due to organizational need. If one of those players gives a lower price that means you can get extra value later on in the draft. This is not rocket science, it's all about value. You saying he likely was 7 or lower is pure speculation and really doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

It's crazy how you act like him being underslotted is breaking news. Picture this scenario: Torkelson is tier one on their board, then they have Martin, Gonzales, Lacy, and Kjerstad as virtual ties in the next tier. One or two could be very slightly higher or lower due to organizational need. If one of those players gives a lower price that means you can get extra value later on in the draft. This is not rocket science, it's all about value. You saying he likely was 7 or lower is pure speculation and really doesn't make sense.

It wasn’t speculation... he was generally rated around the tenth slot on most scouting boards. If you think that Kjerstad was the Orioles top rated player at #2, this is just a wasted conversation. I can buy he was drafted so that Elias could overpay guys not to go to college later in the draft. I believe that is what was done! Even if I don’t like the approach.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

It wasn’t speculation... he was generally rated around the tenth slot on most scouting boards. If you think that Kjerstad was the Orioles top rated player at #2, this is just a wasted conversation. I can buy he was drafted so that Elias could overpay guys not to go to college later in the draft. I believe that is what was done! Even if I don’t like the approach.

HAHA I guess this conversation is done because you can't even read. You seem truly obsessed with this decision based on the amount of time and energy you have spent writing about this.

1 minute ago, Spl51 said:

HAHA I guess this conversation is done because you can't even read. You seem truly obsessed with this decision based on the amount of time and energy you have spent writing about this.

Martin was clearly #2 and even ranked #1 on some boards. He was clearly the BPA.....I buy that he was selected because he will sign for less. I don’t buy “that their were virtual ties”. But you can if you want.