Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

The rumor on draft night was that Boras  was asking #1 money for Austin Martin.  And that dropped him to be taken #5.   That is (#1) 8.4m instead of (#2) 7.8m  or 600K over slot.   That would be money taken away from signing the O's other 5 picks.   Not only that.  Its a pretty good bet the Boras will wait until the last minute to sign Martin which could mess up the ability to sign other O's draft picks.    If that is true,  Elias said not thanks as did the #3 and #4  draft teams.   It will be interesting to see what Martin signs for.  Any one want to bet its higher than the 6.1m slotted for the #5 pick?

So if Elias did not want to go over slot for Martin he also made it pretty clear he did not want to draft a pitcher at #2.   Not Lacy (my pick), Meyers, Hancock or Detmers.    Elias also did not want the risk of a high school player.  So no Hassell or Veen.

That leaves Gonzalez from New Mexico State.  Same college as last year's draft pick Joey Ortiz.  That didn't work to well in his first season.  The Western Conference vs the SEC is too risky at #2.  

So that leaves Elias with Kjerstad.   Lefty handed, middle of the order hitter in Camden Yards.   That is a saver pick.  Then add that he can probably be signed for 5.5m which allows Elias to go over slot elsewhere.  There is the logic for the pick.

As mentioned the process is broken when it forces a GM to take a player that’s not the BPA

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You are offering a perfectly reasonable take to an unreasonable person who has his heals dug in.

Great contribution from a class act (Rolls Eyes)!

you have posted twice around this topic with a slight aimed at me. 

Offering nothing to the conversation beyond a snarky comment and some ass kidding to another

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

As mentioned the process is broken when it forces a GM to take a player that’s not the BPA

An agent and his player do not have to sign with a team.   Its a free country.   If Boras wants to hold out for 8.4m for Martin  and the Orioles don't want to pay it that is freedom of choice.

Elias knows that so he went another direction.  As did the Marlins and the Royals.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

When has a GM been "forced" to take a player?  That would fall on ownership more than anything. 

I'm betting Martin signs for less than slot for the second pick.

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Go back and look at the Sun article before the draft. I was merely quoting the article. 

I am not sure what your point is, but you seem to be criticizing the Orioles for not selecting a player who was gone before they picked.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

An agent and his player do not have to sign with a team.   Its a free country.   If Boras wants to hold out for 8.4m for Martin  and the Orioles don't want to pay it that is freedom of choice.

Elias knows that so he went another direction.  As did the Marlins and the Royals.

So you agree it’s broken. In the NFL nearly every draftee signs every year. There are very little shenanigans 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So you agree it’s broken. In the NFL nearly every draftee signs every year. There are very little shenanigans 

So the players having some small degree choice means the system is broken?

Also when is the last time a baseball player held out? 

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When has a GM been "forced" to take a player?  That would fall on ownership more than anything. 

I'm betting Martin signs for less than slot for the second pick.

They skip the BPA for two reasons ... money demands and to overpay later picks. As I mentioned it a flawed process.

I can sit here and come up with Elias’ reason for passing on Martin anymore than you can. But, I believe it was more due to the underslot strategy or dealing with Boras than anything else.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the players having some small degree choice means the system is broken?

Also when is the last time a baseball player held out? 

Yes.... anything that deters a team from taking the BPA is a problem. 

High School players chose college after being drafted all the time. A guy doesn’t get paid $1 million over slot later in the draft without leveraged 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They skip the BPA for two reasons ... money demands and to overpay later picks. As I mentioned it a flawed process.

I can sit here and come up with Elias’ reason for passing on Martin anymore than you can. But, I believe it was more due to the underslot strategy or dealing with Boras than anything else.

You mentioned the NFL, do you think NFL teams take the BPA every pick?  Do you think that occasionally NLF teams won't take a QB with a top pick since they won't fit into the team's payroll?

Yes.... anything that deters a team from taking the BPA is a problem. 

High School players chose college after being drafted all the time. A guy doesn’t get paid $1 million over slot later in the draft without leveraged 

So HS kinds shouldn't be part of the draft?  College baseball should be outlawed? 

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to fix this "broken" system.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mentioned the NFL, do you think NFL teams take the BPA every pick?  Do you think that occasionally NLF teams won't take a QB with a top pick since they won't fit into the team's payroll?

No ... but they trade out in order to recover the lost value. 

In the NFL, the Ravens are the perfect example. 
They want the 10th best player and have the #2 pick. They simply slide back to 6-8 slots and get extra value. The #2 overall is worth substantially more than the #10

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So HS kinds shouldn't be part of the draft?  College baseball should be outlawed? 

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to fix this "broken" system.

1) They should have to be 2 years out of HS. I believe that is the way the NBA is doing it right?

2) what ... are you even reading my posts? I said that MLB should work with the NCAA to come up with a system that’s mutually beneficial.

A system that sends most high school players to college would benefit the NCAA. 

No ... but they trade out in order to recover the lost value. 

In the NFL, the Ravens are the perfect example. 
They want the 10th best player and have the #2 pick. They simply slide back to 6-8 slots and get extra value. The #2 overall is worth substantially more than the #10

So instead of taking the BPA available at #2, they trade down to #10.  When they trade down they get something in return right?  Like maybe a couple of second round picks?

The value of picks from one sport to another varies but that is essentially what the Orioles did here. 

• Upvote 3