Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm curious what Hancock's number was.

But how much better is Hancock than his GA teammate Cole Wilcox - who went 80th?  I wonder if the O's considered Wilcox with any of their picks before he was drafted.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

But how much better is Hancock than his GA teammate Cole Wilcox - who went 80th?  I wonder if the O's considered Wilcox with any of their picks before he was drafted.  

As has been said we will see.

I think Hancock's stock took a bit too much of a hit based off a few starts with mediocre K numbers.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

Wait and see what?

Future results have nothing to do with what you responded to.

I was talking about how going underslot is the baseball draft equivalent to trading down.

Sure they do! I think this was a terrible strategy of not taking the BPA in round 1 to save money for overpays in rounds 4-5. They’ve spent an additional 2 million dollars to sign those 2 players. That is coming out of Kjerstad and perhaps some of our other early picks.

It will be interesting. Slot money for 7-10 was around $5 million where #2 was 7.7 million. It will be interesting once Kjerstad signs if the other early picks also took less money. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Sure they do! I think this was a terrible strategy of not taking the BPA in round 1 to save money for overpays in rounds 4-5. They’ve spent an additional 2 million dollars to sign those 2 players. That is coming out of Kjerstad and perhaps some of our other early picks.

It will be interesting. Slot money for 7-10 was around $5 million where #2 was 7.7 million. It will be interesting once Kjerstad signs if the other early picks also took less money. 

No?

It's still the equivalent of trading down even if it doesn't work in this instance.

Not like trading down in the NFL works every time.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do think he'll be better than Stewart.

I just don't put a lot of faith into low K numbers. 

"He had more walks than strikeouts!"

For Team USA last summer Martin had 7 k and 2 bb compared to 2 k and 10 bb this college season.

Small (but similar) sample sizes for both, but still a pretty significant difference. I wonder what the reason was for that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

For Team USA last summer Martin had 7 k and 2 bb compared to 2 k and 10 bb this college season.

Small (but similar) sample sizes for both, but still a pretty significant difference. I wonder what the reason was for that.

Maybe he wasn't seeing the ball well. That happens to even the best players in small spurts.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Pedroia had almost as many doubles in his sophomore season as Martin had in his college career

Talk about cherry picking .... Pedroia played 3 seasons vs Martins 2 plus 16 games. In his other 2 seasons hi Freshman and junior Pedroia had 13 and 19.

Inte/resting stat .... In their Softmore seasons Pedroia/Martin  AVG  404/392 OBP 472/486 Runs 83/87 Ks Hits 120/105 BB 36/40.... Want to compare OPS but they werent listed on his ASU page and Pedroia's college stats arenmt listed at BB REF.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Talk about cherry picking .... Pedroia played 3 seasons vs Martins 2 plus 16 games. In his other 2 seasons hi Freshman and junior Pedroia had 13 and 19.

Inte/resting stat .... In their Softmore seasons Pedroia/Martin  AVG  404/392 OBP 472/486 Runs 83/87 Ks Hits 120/105 BB 36/40.... Want to compare OPS but they werent listed on his ASU page and Pedroia's college stats arenmt listed at BB REF.

It is "cherry picking" to compare Perdroia's 34 doubles in 297 Soph AB's to Martin's 39 doubles in 519 Career AB's?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1