Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

The thing is defense peaks early and Kjerstad looks like he has a frame that can put on some more good weight.

Where is his defense six years from now?

Is he going to be a "pretty competent" corner outfielder for the length of his tenure with the O's?

So long as he hits like Ken Singleton.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

The thing is defense peaks early and Kjerstad looks like he has a frame that can put on some more good weight.

Where is his defense six years from now?

Is he going to be a "pretty competent" corner outfielder for the length of his tenure with the O's?

You couldn't tell what kinda read he had off the bat but several of those catches were long runs and he ran to the spot, got there early. I'm not qualified to judge but good or great jumps and reads can make up for less speed. He has plenty of arm and looked calm and in control even on the sliding catch in the alley his head was up. His bat is fast so he adds some muscle to compensate for Al to wood, I think that opposite field power plays. I'm pleasantly surprised.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:08 PM, RZNJ said:

Frobby's post said it all.  It's been a waste of time for other's to debate with you so what's to add?  All that's left is a little snark and slight.  

Elias obviously felt there wasn't a significant difference in player value between Austin and Heston.  For all we know, Kjerstad was higher on the Orioles board.  The pre draft buzz was that their were 3 players at the top and then a significant drop. The Orioles obviously didn't see it that way or they would have taken one of them.   The smart play is to take the BPA especially when the dropoff to the next player, or next few players, is significant.  I don't think Elias is stupid.  You can disagree with his evaluation but I'll go with his call for now.  If he felt Martin or Lacy were significantly better players than Kjerstad I don't believe he passes just so he can take the two HS players later.  So, be reasonable and try to understand Elias' reasoning.  Instead,  you refuse and just keep beating the drum that Elias purposely took the far inferior player to save money for two high risk/high reward HS players later on.

I agree with almost all of your post. I didn't mind the Kjerstad pick.  The Westburg pick made me go hmmm.  The combination of the two definitely allowed Elias to take two high risk/high reward players that wouldn't have signed, if not for an over slot bonus.  None of us know where these players fell on their board.  But, what we do know, is that this organization needs as many high ceiling prospects as it can get, not just one.  He added three high ceiling players in a six pick draft.  I will take that any day, given the current state of our organization.  

20 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

I agree with almost all of your post. I didn't mind the Kjerstad pick.  The Westburg pick made me go hmmm.  The combination of the two definitely allowed Elias to take two high risk/high reward players that wouldn't have signed, if not for an over slot bonus.  None of us know where these players fell on their board.  But, what we do know, is that this organization needs as many high ceiling prospects as it can get, not just one.  He added three high ceiling players in a six pick draft.  I will take that any day, given the current state of our organization.  

Not to pick on you in particular, but I feel like everyone is really meh on the Westburg pick and I don't get it.* He was consensus ranked around 30. Fangraphs gave him a 45 FV. Everyone was thrilled with the Gunnar pick. He was consensus ranked around 25-40 I think, Luke had him at 38, some a bit higher. Fangraphs gave him a 40+ FV at draft time. Yes, picking 30th vs 42nd, but still...

I hadn't heard of this guy until 2 weeks ago but I don't think we should sleep on him, he's got some tools but they'll need to develop as he hasn't gotten a ton of results. But it's not like he's some senior sign.

*Probably many are still disappointed that we didn't go overslot right there?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, makoman said:

Not to pick on you in particular, but I feel like everyone is really meh on the Westburg pick and I don't get it.* He was consensus ranked around 30. Fangraphs gave him a 45 FV. Everyone was thrilled with the Gunnar pick. He was consensus ranked around 25-40 I think, Luke had him at 38, some a bit higher. Fangraphs gave him a 40+ FV at draft time. Yes, picking 30th vs 42nd, but still...

I hadn't heard of this guy until 2 weeks ago but I don't think we should sleep on him, he's got some tools but they'll need to develop as he hasn't gotten a ton of results. But it's not like he's some senior sign.

*Probably many are still disappointed that we didn't go overslot right there?

I see more late 30's-mid 40's, but anyway.  Yes, I think that's more where the "meh" came into play initially.  Expecting the over slot to come at 30. But, what we ended up doing with the money (Mayo and Baulmer), I am pleased with the overall result.