Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

That probably demonstrates the unrealistic/uninformed casual opinion of the value of the slot than anything.

Nope, I understand the value of the slot just fine. 

It’s impossible to get excited about Mark Trumbo as your reward for a 108 loss season. If that’s what Kjerstad turns out to be. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Power hitter with low OBP and questionable corner defense.

And he's a recent Oriole.

That doesn't count as real reasons?

Awfully lazy.  Heston never had an OBP under .400 in college, and by all accounts he's a decent RFer with a strong arm.   

Trumbo never reached anything close to questionable RF defense.  Trumbo's best OBP was .317.  

I don't know what Heston will do, but let's not do these lazy negative comps that hurt my head.   

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Nope, I understand the value of the slot just fine. 

It’s impossible to get excited about Mark Trumbo as your reward for a 108 loss season. If that’s what Kjerstad turns out to be. 

Sorry, wasn't directing that entirely at you. But if you understand it logically, you're probably better off accepting the reality. 

Also, Trumbo wasn't a mediocre player for his whole career. We remember his last 2-3 years here (or however long it was) where he was really just taking up space. A Mark Trumbo in his prime can (and has) contribute to a championship-caliber team.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Awfully lazy.  Heston never had an OBP under .400 in college, and by all accounts he's a decent RFer with a strong arm.   

Trumbo never reached anything close to questionable RF defense.  Trumbo's best OBP was .317.  

I don't know what Heston will do, but let's not do these lazy negative comps that hurt my head.   

Aren't our comps usually lazy?  Like when folks want to comp an Asian player to another Asian player.

As for defense, I'm not expecting much out of his glove if this is where he is out of college.

4 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Sorry, wasn't directing that entirely at you. But if you understand it logically, you're probably better off accepting the reality. 

Also, Trumbo wasn't a mediocre player for his whole career. We remember his last 2-3 years here (or however long it was) where he was really just taking up space. A Mark Trumbo in his prime can (and has) contribute to a championship-caliber team.

In ~2012 some folks on the OH were yearning for a MOO bat like Trumbo (he was named specifically). 

• Upvote 1

Superficial comps thread - down defensive spectrum guys by descending 2019 SLG%, likely Kjerstad's strongest suit.  Trying for mostly lefty hitters.

yelich and blackmon different cats

Austin Meadows

juan soto - would not have guessed meadows outslugged him.

Matt Olson

Joc Pederson

trey mancini

Moustakas/Muncy/Carlos Santana

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aren't our comps usually lazy?  Like when folks want to comp an Asian player to another Asian player.

As for defense, I'm not expecting much out of his glove if this is where he is out of college.

I don't know.  Until yesterday, I haven't been here from more than a few minutes at a time for at least 3 months.  For all I know, the 2 Asian players you're talking about are identical twins in the Korean league.    

32 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I wouldn’t be thrilled about getting a Trumbo with the #2 overall pick, even if he would be above average for the slot. 

Yep.  As I've often said, any reasonably high draft pick who doesn't have a 90th percentile career is a disappointment.  Matt Wieters is both the 9th-best #5 pick of all time (out of 55), and a bitter tragedy to many.  Nick Markakis is the 4th-best #7 of all time, and it's not even close, he's 11 wins ahead of the 5th-best (Prince Fielder).  Markakis in no way lived up to his early career projections.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yep.  As I've often said, any reasonably high draft pick who doesn't have a 90th percentile career is a disappointment.  Matt Wieters is both the 9th-best #5 pick of all time (out of 55), and a bitter tragedy to many.  Nick Markakis is the 4th-best #7 of all time, and it's not even close, he's 11 wins ahead of the 5th-best (Prince Fielder).  Markakis in no way lived up to his early career projections.

Remember how one projection system had Markakis' performance dropping off sharply and how everyone ripped it?

39 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We have MULTIPLE Trumbo 2.0s...therein lies the problem. 

Everyone has multiple Trumbos.  There are guys that fit the Trumbo mold but were like 10% worse who had careers that were 86 games long.  Pedro Alvarez is basically a left handed Trumbo and had 700 PAs in the International League in 2017-18.  Renato Nunez is Mark Trumbo, and he's not going to be in the league much longer if he's a DH with a 100 OPS+. J.R. House had 60 MLB PAs and he was as good a hitter as Mark Trumbo, and probably about as good a RFer.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember how one projection system had Markakis' performance dropping off sharply and how everyone ripped it?

No, I don't remember that.  I just remember saying in ~2010 that he had about a 30% chance at 3000 hits and people told me I had a screw loose.  He won't get there, but he won't be all that far off.