2020 Round 5 (133): Carter Baumler - RHS- (HS)(Dowling Catholic)

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=488350

image.thumb.png.bf8a4f7f94a57d62d4cbf17f877f0c28.png

LATEST PG SHOWCASE REPORT

2019 NATIONAL SHOWCASE  

Carter Baumler is a 2020 RHP/3B with a 6-2 195 lb. frame from Grimes, IA who attends Dowling Catholic. Nice athletic build with long limbs, some present strength and plenty of projectability remaining. Quick and easy arm action from a high 3/4's arm slot, hides the ball well behind his body, some body lean to let his arm gets through but athletic enough to stay on line well through release. Fastball topped out at 93 mph, maintained his velocity well and missed above barrels consistently with the pitch. Showed very good feel for spinning the ball with different velocities, shapes and locations, slider shows nice hard spin and bite as his primary breaking ball. Pounded the zone and missed barrels, nice outing. Showed his athleticism very well in the outfield, really stays on top of ball well on his throws with outstanding arm strength and carry. Right handed hitter, hits from a wide base with a long and strong swing approach, uphill swing plane, plenty of power in his swing. Two-sport athlete with Division One football offerse but verbally committed to Texas Christian for baseball only. Good student. Named to play in the Perfect Gam

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Carter Baumler is an overslot who people did not think was signable. The Orioles reportedly will be able to sign all of their draft picks, which tells me they have agreements. What a steal as a 5th rounder. They call him a more athletic Zack Greinke.

Bauman brings a 92-94 fastball with a clean, athletic delivery with good spin rate that will up in the zone. Missed time due to mono but some believe he has as much if not more potential than the top two high school arms taken. 

This is an absolute steal. 

The Orioles basically ended up with three 1st round talents in Kjerstad, Mayo and Baumler. That's called using your bonus in a unique year the right way.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Carter Baumler is an overslot who people did not think was signable. The Orioles reportedly will be able to sign all of their draft picks, which tells me they have agreements. What a steal as a 5th rounder. They call him a more athletic Zack Greinke.

Bauman brings a 92-94 fastball with a clean, athletic delivery with good spin rate that will up in the zone. Missed time due to mono but some believe he has as much if not more potential than the top two high school arms taken. 

The Orioles basically ended up with three 1st round talents in Kjerstad, Mayo and Baumler. That's called using your bonus in a unique year the right way.

not doubting you, but who believes that he has more potential than the top two high school pitchers taken?  I would like to read more. Agree he is exciting 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Carter Baumler is an overslot who people did not think was signable. The Orioles reportedly will be able to sign all of their draft picks, which tells me they have agreements. What a steal as a 5th rounder. They call him a more athletic Zack Greinke.

Baumler brings a 92-94 fastball with a clean, athletic delivery with good spin rate that will up in the zone. Missed time due to mono but some believe he has as much if not more potential than the top two high school arms taken. 

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off. 

• Haha 2

Prospects Live Top Midwest 2020 Prospects https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2019/12/8/top-mlb-draft-prospects-in-the-midwest

CARTER BAUMLER, RHP, DOWLING CATHOLIC, TCU COMMIT

Baumler is the top-ranked player in the Iowa 2020 class and rightfully so. He’s a strong 6-foot-2, 195 pound kid that could still add 10-15 pounds of muscle onto an already durable frame. His delivery is clean, athletic, and easily repeatable without much effort.

Baumler will run his fastball up to 94 mph, but primarily sits between 90-92 mph with life. He’s going to add more velocity as he continues to physically mature, which is obviously an encouraging sign in terms of his draft status. His curveball is his best secondary offering, playing primarily in the high-70s or low-80s with real depth and has showed signs of an above-average pitch. He doesn’t throw his changeup much but he’s going to have to throw it more as he enters the professional draft. The ease in his delivery and his ability to consistently throw strikes gives Baumler a safe floor and he’s a lock to get drafted.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Draft is looking a lot better than it was a couple hours ago.

I was getting very concerned, but if they're able to pry the last two picks away from their commits it starts to make more sense. At least there seems to be more upside now. 

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

not doubting you, but who believes that he has more potential than the top two high school pitchers taken?  I would like to read more. Agree he is exciting 

Can't say, but I can say they are in the know. that's just an opinion of course, maybe even hyperbole. Either way, this kid has really clean mechanics and is a fantastic athlete. This kid is 6'2" and can dunk a basketball.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Draft is looking a lot better than it was a couple hours ago.

Sorta.  I mean, fine, no Martin but you get Kjerstad... People can say what they want about him, for me it's all about that guys signability.  Could they have gone with Gonzales?  Hancock?  Lacy?  Maybe even Veen?  Maybe some of the other options wouldn't have been as expensive as Martin but still better than Kjerstad.

Picks 2 and 3 don't really do anything for me.  

Getting Mayo and Baumier, assuming they sign is really nice.  Lots of questions though, things we can speculate on and we'll never know.  Kjerstad is ok, picks 2 and 3 are whatever but they finished strong.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1